Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Car won't start---please help

12K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  bwbike 
#1 ·
Ok folks, heed some guidance please. I have an 2009 SRT Chally 6-speed. Have'nt driven it in a couple of months. Battery Tender hooked up and battery is up. Got in it to start it up, hit the button but it won't turn over. It dosen't spin over the starter it just makes a clunk sound every few seconds as you hold in the starter button. I unhooked the positive battery cable and put the battery on a charger just to make sure the battery was really up. Hooked the cable back up and got the same results---just a clunk or thud every few seconds. Never had a problem like this before. I am an old guy and know nothing about all the new cars. CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME A CLUE TO WHAT IS MESSED UP???? The car has been perfect up to now. THANK ALL OF YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
How long have you been trying to start it since it's been sitting? what's your static (sitting) battery voltage?...11.45 is considered dead to a starter..if you have a typical full size shop (the rolling kind) batt charger did you try the start position on it.. If it starts then the battery's dead, if not it's not the battery is ok and the problem is elsewhere...

#6 ·
Just curious, is this the original battery? If so, it is 4 years old and may be shot. Did you get a new one in 2009? There was originally an RRT 09-019 (later changed to a Customer Satisfaction Notice CSN J21) "Hot Start Engine Cranking," that replaced the original 625 cca battery with a larger 750 cca battery. Also a thicker ground cable was installed.

Another possibility could be a drain on your battery if you have a Trinity tuner.

If you do, there is an update that allows a setting for sleep mode to be changed. What happens is that the Trinity keeps polling the PCM to see if it is awake and that keeps the O2 sensors from going to sleep which eventually leads to a dead battery (i.e., a Code 39). Pretty simple fix- using options/monitoring sleep settings/change parameters- up it from 5 to 30 seconds. You can test it by popping your trunk and turning off your car. If the PCM goes to sleep your trunk open light in dash will go off in 30-80 seconds. If it is still pulling power the trunk light will remain on.

#7 ·
I wonder if there's an issue with your starter motor - either the solenoid is faulty or the starter is binding (some instances the starter was 'dry' and didn't lubrication on bushings).

If the solenoid doesn't extend fully and close the circuit (or draws too much current) it won't operate.

The code "39" is a system low voltage message - I had that happen with my RRT battery cable / replacment battery back in '09 - it went bad after 3 weeks.

#8 ·
OK E-Man, for what it's worth, back when I had a 2010 R/T 6-spped, I was getting that "39" on the cluster occasionally. Took it to the dealership and of course they knew nothng about it and contacted Chrysler. Chrysler said id was a voltage problem indication and suggested R&Ring the instrument cluster and associated computer that's attached to it.

#9 ·
Thank you Guys for all the imput. I decided maybe I am thinking too far ahead and replaced the battery, which was original. I am making sure the battery has a full charge and will try starting it tomarrow. I will let you all know what happens and again THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT WITH MY PROBLEMS !!!!! Will check in tomarrow! Thanks...

#10 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 and found if the battery voltage is low the car will not start. It also makes the computer do strange things. Deal recharged the battery and now all is fine again. (Faulty Factory Power Amp shutdown audio system and drained the battery). Mine's was so low you couldn't even jump start it.

#11 ·
Ok folks, I feel like a real dumb ass. Got in the car this morning after a fully charged new battery and she fired right up. Guess the old battery had a dead cell. These new cars just don't act like the older ones that I am used to working on. The starters sound different, batterys act different when they go bad, etc.etc.etc. I have to get this new stuff in my feable brain. Bottom line I WANT TO THANK EACH AND EVERYONE THAT HELPED ME OUT WITH MY PROBLEM. LONG LIVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!

#12 ·
A battery without a load can act like it's fully charged, but not have enough juice to start the car. The best way to tell (other than buying a new battery) is to do a load test. Autozone or other similar places will do a load test for free if you don't have the equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.