Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Center Console Latch Issue

Tags
console
16K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Stay Thirsty My Friends 
#1 ·
I saw this topic in a few older threads, but was wondering if there has been any change in the fix for this problem. I have a 2010 Challenger SRT8, whose center console latch has failed, causing the top of the console to pop up at inopportune times (like any time is good).

I went to the dealer to see if the latch was sold separately (which it should be, as this has happened to a lot of people, which implies to me that the design was defective). It is not. The SRT version (with white/gray stitching matching the seats) is $330 from the dealer (and costs them $200), whereas the SXT or R/T versions are $130 from the dealer (and costs them $75). I found the SRT version online new OEM for as low as $225.

Does anyone know of any other way to address this problem (other than the McGyveresque rubber band idea someone had)? It is insane that a perfectly good console lid needs to be replaced when a simple part is broken. But that's the way things work sometimes. Any ideas would be welcome.:banger:

#2 · (Edited)
I'm in the same boat as you except mine is black. I saw a black oem one on Steve White motors for $90 which is cheaper than the dealer, but that price is still ridiculous for a part that shouldn't cost more than $10-$15. So when I get a chance I'm going to take mine apart to see if it is any way to fix it. I did see a website that sold the latch only but it was for a Jeep and did not look like it will fit. Any help will be appreciated by me also...

#9 ·
I saw this topic in a few older threads, but was wondering if there has been any change in the fix for this problem. I have a 2010 Challenger SRT8, whose center console latch has failed, causing the top of the console to pop up at inopportune times (like any time is good).

I went to the dealer to see if the latch was sold separately (which it should be, as this has happened to a lot of people, which implies to me that the design was defective). It is not. The SRT version (with white/gray stitching matching the seats) is $330 from the dealer (and costs them $200), whereas the SXT or R/T versions are $130 from the dealer (and costs them $75). I found the SRT version online new OEM for as low as $225.

Does anyone know of any other way to address this problem (other than the McGyveresque rubber band idea someone had)? It is insane that a perfectly good console lid needs to be replaced when a simple part is broken. But that's the way things work sometimes. Any ideas would be welcome.:banger:
I have a 2014 R/T with the same console lid issue. I found this if you’re still looking.