Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Clunky front end noise

20K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  cannonballcobb 
#1 ·
So my 2010 challenger B5 Blue has had this annoying clunky noise from the front end when driving on a bumpy road or an unpaved driveway.

I did all the normal stuff like removing the washers off the sway bar end links and making sure the cross member in the engine compartment was tight and its still there.

I went and jacked it up and tested the front end components and found play in my lower ball joints. You can feel it with a bar under the tire and lifting up somewhat rapidly- you get a thud and can actually feel the up and down play in both ball joints.

Im taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Still under warranty with only 11,700 miles on it.

Whats the chance they will give me a hard time about this?????

figured they could also deal with the cracked door panel trim and hopefully reconfig my backup camera and daylight running lights.....

#2 ·
I guess it depends if Dodge determines your ball joints are defective. If they say it's from normal wear, they won't warranty them.

I wish you luck, let us know what they say?

#3 ·
You shouldn't have an issue - if you still get the clunking noise (if they replace the ball joints) - have them check out the engine mounts. The dealer went through the front end (I suspected a bad front shock unit) and finally diagnosed it to be the engine mount.

I had a similar clunking noise that sounded like suspension - it turned out to be one engine mount was bad. (I have a 6-speed R/T). Mine got that way ~ 14.8K.

Good idea to get the door trim molding replaced - the part is ~ $10, but with labor, it runs about $110 to do one door.

#5 ·
I have a clanking noise now as well. Definately the front right side. It's more clanking than a clunk (such technical terms). It's more like something clanking against something else than a loose, "clunk". Everything still feels nice and stiff, but.... I was actually wondering if it was the hood prop rod, as it's rather loose.

Gah... and I have "aftermarket" wheels and tires.... and the tires are not factory spec size. I should make an appointment soom...... coming up on 29k miles on mine. Running out of Bumper to bumper....

#8 ·
So the end result was that i had two struts w the balljoints replaced, the sway bar end links, and one tie rod. they also realigned it.

I got the blue car with close to 8000 miles on it so i imagine it was driven HARD to wear that stuff out with so few miles on it.

anyways, it was all covered under warranty and the clunking front end is NO MORE!!!!! A complete and total fix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.