Dodge Challenger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dear Dodge Cares:

251K views 2K replies 103 participants last post by  iamawild1 
#1 ·
I've contacted Dodge/Chrysler in regards to the tickatickaticka noise from my engine many times. My and many others from here have done the same and our concerns are falling on DEAF EARS! Why are some getting repairs done? Why are some getting new engines? Why are some being taken seriously and the rest of us are pretty much screwed? Yes, I said we were SCREWED! We Challenger owners REFUSE to take the explanation of our problem as "NORMAL". If it's NORMAL then why don't YOU drive it? We have had enough of being ignored. We are binding together as I type this. We want our Challengers fixed! No, WE DEMAND that our Challengers be fixed.

So... What do you have to say Dodge Cares???

November 18, 2014

Dear Dodge/Chrysler Customer Care:

I am writing this letter because I feel that I, along with many others, have been seriously let down by the lack of service we are getting with our Challenger’s. In particular, the HEMI TICK issue. One dealership says it’s normal, another actually takes the time to troubleshoot it, while others actually do perform service to correct it, such as replacing lifters that are showing flat spots?

Myself, along with many others, did not pay in excess of $40,000.00 for a car that ticks. We, the drivers, can hear it, our passengers can hear it, anyone sitting in the back seat can hear it, the service department at our dealers can hear it and yet, we are left holding the bag on service to STOP the ticking? There are many different things a dealer can do to attempt to fix this long standing problem. Yet, you, the big corporation, fails to allow them to do it. Too expensive for you? You didn’t have any problem taking our money when we bought our cars but now you won’t honor your commitment to excellence? All we want is our cars fixed. Plain and simple, fix it and we’ll be on our way!

My story is only one of many. I waited with great anticipation for my 2014 R/T Shaker to arrive at my dealer (Joe Cecconi’s Chrysler Complex, Niagara Falls, NY). After only a week or so of driving it, I noticed a ticking coming from the engine. The first thing I did was check the fluid levels in the car and everything was where it should be. A few days afterwards, at approximately the 500 mile mark, I pulled into the dealer to have my oil changed and to ask them to check the ticking. Cecconi’s was gracious enough to supply me with a Star Case (S1309000013 Ticking Noise from Upper End of Engine) that showed on some HEMI’s, tabs were left on lifters during the build process. The Star Case showed step by step instructions on how to remove these tabs with special attention of what NOT to do to avoid damage to the rocker shaft assembly and/or shaft tower, and to insure the retainers and rocker arms are not overlapped when torqueing bolts. It also stated not to rotate or crank the engine during or immediately after rocker arm installation to allow the hydraulic lifters adequate time to bleed down. It then makes reference to two other Star Cases, S1209000001 and S1309000021, that also pertain to the ticking. I owned an 09 R/T from October 2008 to April 2014 and never heard of a “HEMI Tick”.

A few days later, my car was returned to the dealer to have the Star Case performed, and unfortunately, the ticking did not stop after it was. Each and every time I brought the car in for service, I mentioned the ticking. Again, I pulled in to service to inquire about checking the intake bolts (plastic) and exhaust manifold bolts that others were reporting as lose, and that I am aware that an exhaust manifold could make the ticking noise I was hearing. I was really grasping at straws here to find what was causing this ticking! The dealership scheduled an appointment for me the next day. On arrival for my appointment, the tech that normally takes my information and has me sign the work order, asked me to have a seat and that he’d be right back. He didn’t come back…. someone else sat down and commenced to tell me that they would check the car again THIS TIME but not again for any ticking issue. On and on, finally stating they weren’t wasting time on my car as they would not get reimbursed from Chrysler for the service. I believe the man’s name was Shawn, and that he was the one who made me feel like a child in school being chastised by a teacher. I am a grown woman and I probably know more about my car than all the service technicians that were there. I did not appreciate being treated in this manner, and upset as I was, I walked out. A day or so later, I got Chrysler’s attention by posting on their Facebook page. After a week or so of phone tag, an appointment was made at Cecconi’s for me by Chrysler with hopes that a factory rep could be present.

The morning of this appointment, my son and I recorded the ticking from inside my car with the windows closed. It could clearly be heard, especially around the 2000 rpm mark. The factory rep got in the car and we went for a ride. He and a service tech could hear the ticking, and when we returned to the dealership, I also played the recordings I made that morning. The factory rep suggested that my car be changed from regular oil to full synthetic SRT oil. Since my contract with the dealer gives me free lifetime oil changes, I would have been responsible for any additional costs (no big deal for me), however, the factory rep stated that Chrysler would pay the difference for the next 5 years. The service department took my car into a bay and changed the oil right there and then. Driving home, my son and I could still hear the ticking, somewhat a little lower than what it was when brought in. After several days of driving, the ticking is back to what its been all along. I was hoping the synthetic oil change would have solved the problem. Oh, did I mention the following day I got an invoice from the dealer for $43.19, the cost difference for the oil change? Or that another Mopar bolt was lost? (2nd time for me!)

This morning, 11/18. I got a call from Chrysler Care stating that they would no longer provide any service on my brand new car for this ticking issue . Tell me Chrysler, if the factory rep and technicians didn’t think there was a problem, why did they do the work on the Star Case? Why did they authorize the change from regular to full synthetic oil? And if this is a known problem with HEMI engines, why aren’t they ALL doing it? Why are some customers getting service for this problem while others are denied? My 2009 5.7 R/T had no tick whatsoever. Many people I personally know with 5.7 HEMI engines have no ticking issues. So why is it that just a percentage of us that have this ticking problem can’t seem to get Dodge/Chrysler to fix it? Something is very wrong here.

I am currently collecting data from other Challenger owners to create a database of service, or lack there of. I’m amazed at how many other Challenger owners are jumping on board already and I haven’t even sent this letter to you yet! I’m hoping this issue can be resolved for all of us and that we won’t have to escalate this to the next level. All we want is our cars fixed once and for all. It’s not too much to ask that a brand new car doesn’t tick.

Here are 2 sound clips of just MY car. Keep in mind, this is only a cell phone recording.

Cutouts closed, filtered to remove exhaust sound
Car1-ORIGINAL.mp3 - picosong (Playing: Car1-ORIGINAL.mp3 - picosong)

Cutouts open
Playing Ticking by iamawild1 - picosong (Playing Ticking by iamawild1 - picosong)

I certainly will be anxiously waiting to see what Dodge/Chrysler has to say now.

And as a final note, I am NOT complaining about my Dealer. If it were up to them, I honestly believe my car would be fixed by now. Stop the choke hold on the dealers selling your cars!

Anyone wish to be added to the list of "normal" cars, simply PM me with your info and I will gladly add you. The list is growing rapidly and if we don't hear something soon, I will be left with no option other than to turn this over to an attorney for a Class Action Suit against Dodge/Chrysler. FIX OUR CARS!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Anyone with this problem please jump on board. The more the better. :thumbsup: We all want our cars to sound and perform like they should. "NORMAL" is not an option & Dodge needs to address this issue.Some are getting the boot, the runaround, Star Cases performed that do NO GOOD, everyone is being treated differently on this matter. We all have a passion with our Challengers and are proud to drive one.We just want our cars FIXED!

#5 · (Edited)
I dealt with this crap when I had my Challenger, sadly the reason I sold it, god damn that SRT-8 was sexy though, kept holding onto it. But after fuel-pump failure, lifter failure, power steering failure, a\c fan failing, stock rear end going out, and then the 2nd one (then they installed a 3rd which howled at anything over 40 MPH, and claimed was normal) and ignition failure, plus two half-shafts breaking, one of them installed incorrectly fried my entire ABS system (how the hell do you install a half-shaft wrong!?) and uhhhhoh yeah win-module failure so my car was in the shop for 30 days while they figured out while push to start or remote start wouldn't work. Oh, also, my entire IRS cradle ripped through my frame, cracking it as one bolt holds it in. Anyway end of the rope was when I was told my diff howling noise with even the radio up @ 25 volume was normal, and the "customer service rep" would not talk to me in person about it.

Anyway that's why I'm in a GT-500 now, but god I miss the size and features of the SRT-8, GT-500 is more fun but it's not a cruiser at all. Hopefully Dodge steps up, I'd be horrified to ever have a Dodge dealership service a Hellcat if I got one down the road, Ford is bad enough with the GT-500s, techs know NOTHING and put in wrong oil\too much all the time (5.4l vs 5.8l)

#24 · (Edited)
I dealt with this crap when I had my Challenger, sadly the reason I sold it, god damn that SRT-8 was sexy though, kept holding onto it. But after fuel-pump failure, lifter failure, power steering failure, a\c fan failing, stock rear end going out, and then the 2nd one (then they installed a 3rd which howled at anything over 40 MPH, and claimed was normal) and ignition failure, plus two half-shafts breaking, one of them installed incorrectly fried my entire ABS system (how the hell do you install a half-shaft wrong!?) and uhhhhoh yeah win-module failure so my car was in the shop for 30 days while they figured out while push to start or remote start wouldn't work. Oh, also, my entire IRS cradle ripped through my frame, cracking it as one bolt holds it in. Anyway end of the rope was when I was told my diff howling noise with even the radio up @ 25 volume was normal, and the "customer service rep" would not talk to me in person about it.

Anyway that's why I'm in a GT-500 now, but god I miss the size and features of the SRT-8, GT-500 is more fun but it's not a cruiser at all. Hopefully Dodge steps up, I'd be horrified to ever have a Dodge dealership service a Hellcat if I got one down the road, Ford is bad enough with the GT-500s, techs know NOTHING and put in wrong oil\too much all the time (5.4l vs 5.8l)
Dam I have a 2012 SRT-8 392 and have had no problems. Sounds like you came from ford and went back to ford happy trolling. Do you think the fact that you got into an accident with it may have had some thing to do with your car problems.

#7 ·
That sucks! I'd be happy to put your info in with ours if you want to come on board with us to fight Dodge/Chrysler.

#8 · (Edited)
Listened to both sound clips and well.....it sounded like mine did for the first 7k miles or so. Now, it's pretty much gone completely. Just injector noise. Did you take the engine cover off? It has foam on the underside to try and deaden the tick noise these engines have.

Chrysler knows damn well these engines tick, some more than others, however it is not a sign of imminent failure. Hemis aren't the only ones to do this either, ever drive a subaru? Man those things don't tick, they tap. But it's widely accepted, that those engines just do that.

You are mistaking your dealers ignorance for there actually being something wrong. If they performed the rocker tab removal and it's still there, it's normal. Some dealers will look into it, others will do what mine did when mine ticked on the first start-up on the lot.... walk me over to a completely different challenger and it made the same sound.

The third gen hemi tick is very well known, posted and reposted on these boards, but I rarely ever see a valve/lifter failure on a 5.7 liter. Besides the whole MDS timing chain fiasco, these engines are pretty tough. But they are noisy.

It's an engine, it makes noise, it may smooth out over time, as mine did. And while I sympathize, I do not feel it's chrysler's responsibility to make your 345 cubic inch, V8, quieter for your tastes.

#9 ·
Mine has been ticking since I got the car brand new. as I mentioned in the letter above, I had a previous 09 R/T that didn't tick at all. I did not spend this kind of money on a car to have it ticking like it does. It can be heard IN the car moreso than outside. 7455 mileage and several oil changes, now to full synthetic and nothing? One of the major issues here are: 1. why are some getting additional service? Some are getting lifters, heads, gaskets replaced and some are being pushed aside. 2. One guy here had his car replaced because of this. 3. Another guy here is having his engine replaced as we type. Dodge is helping some and not helping others. Dodge/Chrysler has KNOWN about this issue for how long now? I refuse to accept their "its normal" and continue to drive a car that's ticking. It's embarrassing when someone else is in the car with me. Oh yeah, my car is brand new and the ticking you're hearing is OK for Dodge.. not me.

The more I post, the more other HEMI owners are jumping aboard. I intend to get this fixed and refuse to accept their normal attitude. the 2014 Shakers do not have engine covers because of the Shakers and mine doesn't have MDS (6 sp). There's pretty much nothing I can do to help insulate the engine noise. Believe me, if there was I would have done it by now.
Thanks for your comments.

#16 ·
[QU And while I sympathize, I do not feel it's chrysler's responsibility to make your 345 cubic inch, V8, quieter for your tastes.[/QUOTE]

I thought this comment of yours was very insensitive. Have you ridden in her car to hear how loud the noise is and annoying? Have you walked in her shoes? Now maybe you can tolerate the noise but some of us find it very disturbing and not right for a new car. Should Chrysler fix an air leak on the passenger window? If it shouldn't be there and bothers me, yes. Hemi's are loud engines but my lifter noise was not normal. And Chrysler did something about it, they replaced the car. And I am not the only one they have done this for. So to me they are admitting there is a problem.

#19 · (Edited)
=gad5246;3920154][QU And while I sympathize, I do not feel it's chrysler's responsibility to make your 345 cubic inch, V8, quieter for your tastes.

I thought this comment of yours was very insensitive. Have you ridden in her car to hear how loud the noise is and annoying? Have you walked in her shoes? Now maybe you can tolerate the noise but some of us find it very disturbing and not right for a new car. Should Chrysler fix an air leak on the passenger window? If it shouldn't be there and bothers me, yes. Hemi's are loud engines but my lifter noise was not normal. And Chrysler did something about it, they replaced the car. And I am not the only one they have done this for. So to me they are admitting there is a problem.

I don't need to ride in her car, I have one that did make this exact noise. So yes, I was in her shoes, and I gave it some time before demanding for a fix that in no way affects the operation of the vehicle. If my window leaked, I would complain, because the windows function is to stop air from getting in. The engines function is to propel the car. It still does that.

Would you complain to dodge because your electric window motor is too loud, and even though the majority of the cars on the lot are like that, DEMAND to have it changed? Because that is what's going on here.

Dodge is admitting that a customer has a problem, and DODGE CARES, so I'm sure they did replace your car. And then they most likely turned right around and sold it to someone who wasn't so sensitive.

Anyway, not turning this thread into a pissing match, good luck getting your noise issues resolved, and in the mean time put some miles on these cars and it may just fix itself.

#22 ·
Spasticdog70.. how did you make out w/ your car today? I'm anxious to know if it fixed the ticking problem. (Lets hope it posts this time.. I've written the same message 3 times and it doesn't show up for some reason.)

#23 ·
It's at the dealership now. Dropped off early this morning. All lifters are to be replaced. They said it would take a day or two so maybe I'll hear something tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed. If that doesn't fix it I have NO IDEA what next but I do know I can't continue driving it with that noise.It gets on my last nerve, you know exactly what I'm talking about!

#28 ·
If the lifters don't fix it or the problem comes back, keep taking it back until you are satisfied. In your state, they get 4 attempts to fix the problem before it falls under the lemon law. Unfortunately the lemon law is not like a redeemable coupon. You'd probably need an attorney and the process isn't straightforward. But maybe it beats listening to maracas while you drive and it'd give you some satisfaction in the long run. :|

Mike

#31 ·
Yes, already been through this with Ford in the past with my Mustang transmission problems. Ford would not cooperate at all (not going to get in to that).Overall it's a long drawn out process. First go through BBB then if not satisfied get a lawyer. It's in a booklet in the glove box. I finally cut my loses and got shed of the Stang. Too much trouble and stress! The Mustang & now this with my Challenger, I guess I know how to pick em'. LOL. I just want my car fixed. I love the car more than any other car I've ever owned.
I've already bonded! :thumbsup: Everyone here can associate with that :wink3:

Reactions: PSM450
#30 ·
there is a hemi tick that we will consider normal, all hemis have it and to some degree the volume or severity will vary dramatically between vehicles, it is predominantly worst or more noticeable when the vehicle is next to a building, ie like going thru a drive thru....

you will not get rid of that tick.........never, again the pitch or the volume will vary drastically, on some almost non existent

we have seen lifter issues, in some case, one moment the vehicle sounds normal, the next sounds horrible, the common repair is to replace all the lifters since in most cases you cannot distinguish which lifter that's making the noise.....

in most cases, we inspect the lifters and cannot find anything physically wrong, but replacing them always seems to take care of the issue

we have seen the roller seized or seizing up on some which causes damage to the cam lobe, we also have seen the plastic retainer broken......and the individual lifter turn sideways.....usually make a mess of the camshaft

Luke

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks Luke! You are the first dealer that has spoken up. We are fully aware of the HEMI tick. What we're hearing is something different. I cannot hear anything at idle or outside the car w/ the hood up. I hear it inside the car, warmed up and over 1500 RPM's when actually driving it. And yes, it makes me nuts. More so than I already am. LOL. All we want is our cars fixed. My shaker cannot be replaced period. Its a one of a kind and I have it just the way *I* want it with the few changes I did to its appearance. Thanks for your knowledgeable reply!

#37 ·
in some cases we were not able to verify the noise that comes and go, however we normally go to our field engineer and we get authorization to install lifters....not very common but we do see it, like i said earlier, in nearly all cases, replacing the lifters fixes the problem

to look at them, they normally look perfect, no damage, abnormal wear etc

we have also seen the lifters cause MDS related issues, in rare cases, the lifter causes the MDS not to disengage....typically on a 5.7 police cars

Luke

#39 ·
in some cases we were not able to verify the noise that comes and go, however we normally go to our field engineer and we get authorization to install lifters....not very common but we do see it, like i said earlier, in nearly all cases, replacing the lifters fixes the problem

to look at them, they normally look perfect, no damage, abnormal wear etc

we have also seen the lifters cause MDS related issues, in rare cases, the lifter causes the MDS not to disengage....typically on a 5.7 police cars

Luke
:
I can only speak for what I see on Challenger Forums and very few lifter replacements do anything for the noise we are talking about. The noise I had to me was constant, obnoxious, annoying and cheap sounding. My Tech and Serv. Mgr. agreed. The lifter repair didn't help. So then what do you do for a customer?? I believe the numbers/people dealing with this issue are significant. I could be wrong. My '14 now doesn't have anything close to it.

#38 · (Edited)
It's been really cool here in the LA area recently and I've noticed my tick or whatever it's called getting louder. The sound is like the sewing machine but mellow, soft. That's the best way I can describe it. It really doesn't bother me and I kinda like it. It's louder at higher rpms. I have no idea if this is normal or not. I've always thought it was. But after reading this thread, I'm kinda confused now.

Edit: 2012 392 manual 8500 miles

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#40 ·
because you don't like something doesn't mean it is abnormal, without hearing the vehicle personally, i don't know what you have, I have not heard the vehicle, driven it or access the concern, if the noise you are referring to is the common hemi tick, your not going to fix it......you might improve it, you may modify it, but you will not fix it!!!!

in my opinion, the design of the engine, the way the lifters sits in the block is prone to causing an harmonic resonance which typically does not affect reliability and durability.....but creates an audible noise....couple with injector noises and other internal engine noises might make it more pronounced

Luke

#42 ·
because you don't like something doesn't mean it is abnormal, without hearing the vehicle personally, i don't know what you have, I have not heard the vehicle, driven it or access the concern, if the noise you are referring to is the common hemi tick, your not going to fix it......you might improve it, you may modify it, but you will not fix it!!!!

in my opinion, the design of the engine, the way the lifters sits in the block is prone to causing an harmonic resonance which typically does not affect reliability and durability.....but creates an audible noise....couple with injector noises and other internal engine noises might make it more pronounced

Luke
The Tech and Serv. Mgr. agreed the noise was to loud, not just my opinion.

Can you have the "common Hemi Tick" and it be Real loud? Or is the normal Hemi Tick never very loud? Therefore if it is real loud it isn't the normal Tick, so there is an issue? I haven't been around the engines like you so I'm not sure what normal sounds like and to what limits it will go. What I have now is not any kind of an issue, just a faint tick now with the cold.

#41 ·
my suggestion is to have a field engineer drive the vehicle, if he feels its abnormal, and diagnostic and repairs do not correct the issue, then file for lemon law or seek replacement, a good service manager with a good district manager will get the vehicle replaced, msrp swap, trade assist, without much grief....

we do it all the time when the customer is justified, did it recently with a new Wrangler with a transmission problem, 9k miles on the vehicle, my dm did a 5k trade assist and we moved the customer into a one year newer vehicle, we made no money on the deal to assist the customer, customer lost nothing and is in a brand new one year newer vehicle... when the issue or situation is justified, the good dealers assisted by a good dm, will resolve the issue

Luke

ps good luck

#44 ·
Dealership just called & my baby is ready. They said lifters was replaced sounds great & they drove it for over 20min. and everything is fine.Hope it stays that way! Leaving now to get it. Will post back with the results later.:thumbsup:

#46 ·

Ignore the injectors clicking away. the sound im worried about comes right in at 43 seconds, then again 1:30-5 mark.

*sorry for shaey vid, i'm handicapped.

Reactions: iamawild1
#48 ·
I'm not sure if you replied to me, but i have 2 more videos being uploaded right now with a much clearer sound of what im experiencing. I would really love to keep this car, its just too beautiful to let it go! I wouldn't mind have the engine replaced, but not the car. I'm too attached!

#51 ·
I think it would be helpful to all if someone from Dodge could post a recording/video of what is a normal sounding Hemi tick. Hopefully of good quality. We then could have something to gauge our noises against. The response we seem to get a lot, is that's normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.