Deceptive Marketing: Harmon Kardon 900 Watt Stereo System - Page 5 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Thanked 1,155 Times in 691 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've had GM's best systems Had the Bose setup in all of my Vette's the C5 even had 8" Woofers in the doors. Wasn't impressive, but then again, I hate Bose

I haven't heard the HK system. My Kicker system sure doesn't impress me. But for me it doesn't matter, I upgraded the audio system by installing Zoomers!

Brett DiMichele

2011 Toxic Orange

2015 SRT Hellcat on order with Bob Frederick (Billet Silver, Sepia Languna)

2011-2029 A Sparkly Moose Beaver Production

www.toxic11.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question

I don't mind the one in my 2009 SRT. The subwoofer in the trunk really pumps.

Is the HK audio system an "upgraded" version in the newer models?
#43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic11 View Post
I've had GM's best systems Had the Bose setup in all of my Vette's the C5 even had 8" Woofers in the doors. Wasn't impressive, but then again, I hate Bose

I haven't heard the HK system. My Kicker system sure doesn't impress me. But for me it doesn't matter, I upgraded the audio system by installing Zoomers!

You can hear the HK system in the videos I posted!
#44 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanked 1,155 Times in 691 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah but your videos aren't shot with a super good Mic.. Not trying to be a buzz kill. If you can shoot at 1080P with a good super-cartoid stereo mic, then by all means please do so! Or stop over, I will shoot one for you

In other words, the only way to record a recording, faithfully is to use a microphone that adds nothing or as little to nothing to the audio, it needs to be balanced from 20Hz to 20Khz with no frequency spikes or dips, otherwise the recording
you make, is not a faithful reproduction of what the system sounds like. If in fact you are using top notch equipment, then DAMN does that system sound bad!

I just went down and tried recording a song from CD in the car using my Nikon ME-1 Stereo Mic and it's wholly unimpressive. No bass response and all the highs are pure sibilance. That's what I'm trying to say, I just dropped $150 on this
microphone and it's a "good one" but it's not meant to record music, it does not cover the whole spectrum, not even close. The end result winds up being nasally, no clear highs, all bloated midrange and no bass. Which is not how my
system sounds to my ear. I actually have my Kicker set up dialed in fairly "decent" but still, it's no Levinson!

Last edited by Toxic11; 08-21-2012 at 09:45 PM.
#45 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic11 View Post
Yeah but your videos aren't shot with a super good Mic..

Right, but did you see the comparison videos? Shot on the same cellphone camera. I do have 1080p. Will shoot that as well and then you will s*it in your pants. Then you will really hear the static and lack of depth! This system really sucks that bad.
#46 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 PM

Those aren't the same hk speakers that you will find in the aftermarket. Concern #1 for the OEM is durability, they don't want repair issues due to blown speakers-----they specify an absurd reliability percentage to the manufacturer, roll the bass back as you turn up the volume, and then market the hell out of the name.

The closest thing I have seen to the aftermarket equivalent from any brand is the kicker stuff in dodge vehicles, but that isn't saying much.

#47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ohno View Post
Those aren't the same hk speakers that you will find in the aftermarket. Concern #1 for the OEM is durability, they don't want repair issues due to blown speakers-----they specify an absurd reliability percentage to the manufacturer, roll the bass back as you turn up the volume, and then market the hell out of the name.

The closest thing I have seen to the aftermarket equivalent from any brand is the kicker stuff in dodge vehicles, but that isn't saying much.
Someone who's really into audio should investigate and figure out how to unlock some adjustments in this HK system. I had a '01 Audi S4 which had a Bose system. There was a hidden EQ which could be unlocked by pressing a sequence of buttons and it made a big difference in the sound by giving it some depth.
#48 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It may be too much work to figure it out.. Something like the CleanSweep or Ms8 may help significantly though.

MECP Advanced Autotech

Audio Mods:
Alarm: Viper 5902
Head Unit: AppRadio 2
Front Stage (Fully Active):
Tweeters: Image Dynamics CD1-Pro Mini Horns
Amplifier: Kicker IX500.4 Bridged
Mid-Bass: Sundown Audio Neo 8"
Amplifier: Kicker IX500.4 Bridged
Processing: JBL MS-8
#49 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM

I went with the Pioneer touch-screen in my Challenger as it had the 130 in it.Just got a 2012 Charger R/T Max and it has the Beats system in and it sounds great.They need to put it in the Challengers..........JB.
#50 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Man, I have the B Accoustics system in my SE... FM is superb but Sirius is tinny... I am thinkin about getting an RT Classic in the Spring and was going to get the 730 with NAV.... you guys are scarin me... I love mine except for the terrible sounding Sirius...

TorRed SE Model purchased: 2/05/09 (gone but not forgotten)
TorRed R/T Classic ordered: 4/06/13
R/T Classic born on: 6/04/13
R/T Classic delivered on: 6/21/13
Mods installed:
Mopar CAI
RiderGraphix spoiler graphic
Skip-to-shift eliminator
Cursive Challenger on grille
Engine Cover air brush painted
Billet under the hood stuff
MOPAR door sills

Member of Frederick Scat Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode