Dodge Challenger Rocker Panel Problems - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Have you had any cracking or breakage issues with your rocker panels?
Yes 144 44.58%
No 179 55.42%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by STONEWHITE R/T View Post
I haven't had any yet. But MY suspicions are that water gets behind the plactic trim and freezes. Water expands and cracks them. I had noticed this concern has dropped off to almost nothing over the summer. Now with freezing temps and precipitation it is back. Maybe instead of plastic they need to make it from a more pliable vinyl material.
These aren't pick ups with frames so it is unlikley body twist. Hoisting problems, maybe. Anyone have an old one to see if there is a "water pocket" behind the trim for water to collect and freeze?
I don't think it is a water freezing issue, although it could be poor Quality Control allowing mis-sized rockers to be put on the cars.
Also, there are cars in the south that don't experience any water freezing situations that have cracked rockers.

Sadly, my car is currently sitting outside (daily driver) and not under any car cover/carport or any protection (yeah, I know). We get 4 seasons here - heat and snow and rain and slush and wind, etc... I'm currently under snow.

Car is roughly 1 year old.

I have not had any cracked rocker panel problems.
Although I have always told anyone who services that car that the rockers have been known to crack if not properly lifted and I keep a copy of the lift points sheet in the glove compartment and give it to them telling them that there are no cracks on the car now, as I drop it off.

So far, so good.

I think it is mis-sized rockers - the QC tolerance is not tight enough, or damage caused by lifting or some other situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I own a 09 R/T. I only have 200 miles on my car. Trust me i will be keeping an eye on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 03:13 PM

Photos: (1)
Cracked at 25 thousand miles/ 13 months. Why, cause they suck.To short, to cheap, to crappy. Time for a new pair of crappy panels. Anyone remember the supplier changed the formula for the plastic? Did Dodge not have them fix that issue? Mine shrunk to the point that they were tighter than Wonderwomans bra.

Last edited by High Rise Torker; 03-01-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (42)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If the crack in my rocker looked as good as what was in Wonderwomans bra, I would not be having an issue!

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T six speed manual track pack, K&N Drop in filter, Rear (3) windows tinted, Rear tail lights tinted, Side markers tinted, Sequential tail and signal lights, custom painted engine cover, R/T hood to fender decals, Hood struts, Blacked out R/T grill badge, Stainless steel "Challenger" rearview mirror accent trim, Stainless steel "R/T" side mirror accent trim, Concept "Challenger" side badging, Dodge font nose emblem and Interior Mopar dealer package.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Photos: (1)
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
If the crack in my rocker looked as good as what was in Wonderwomans bra, I would not be having an issue!
Yea man. Thats a crack I for one could live with.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I haven't had any broken rocker panels yet but one thing I have noticed is that the rocker panels are diffinately affected by temperature changes. In the summer my rocker panels showed the warpage under the doors on both sides from expansion and now with the cold weather they have no warpage. With this in mind if the skrinkage is extreme in colder weather along with the rocker panels becoming more brittle from the cold this could be causing the cracking. Has anyone else noticed this.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I have not had a problem with them warping, just cracking.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by Hemi R/T View Post
I haven't had any broken rocker panels yet but one thing I have noticed is that the rocker panels are diffinately affected by temperature changes. In the summer my rocker panels showed the warpage under the doors on both sides from expansion and now with the cold weather they have no warpage. With this in mind if the skrinkage is extreme in colder weather along with the rocker panels becoming more brittle from the cold this could be causing the cracking. Has anyone else noticed this.
Definitely and in fact mentioned it on another rocker crack thread. Noticeable bow in mid-Summer. I suggested maybe a two piece overlap design to alleviate it but appearance wise I don't know.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by Valley View Post
Definitely and in fact mentioned it on another rocker crack thread. Noticeable bow in mid-Summer. I suggested maybe a two piece overlap design to alleviate it but appearance wise I don't know.
I was thinking the same thing. I will include this in the letter to Brampton Engineers.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had the 2009 R/T for a year and the DY R/T for a couple months now. I put Mud Flaps on both cars right away. I wonder if that made any difference? The cracks may just be harder to see behind the mud flaps.
2005 Yellow Harley Road King Classic[IMG]file:///Users/edandee/Desktop/YellowHarleyopt.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/edandee/Desktop/YellowHarleyopt.jpg[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.