Dodge Challenger Rocker Panel Problems - Page 29 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Have you had any cracking or breakage issues with your rocker panels?
Yes 144 44.58%
No 179 55.42%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was at our local dealership yesterday to get my truck's state inspection and emissions test done. I looked at a 2012 leftover redline SRT, and the driver's side rocker was cracked at the front. I also noticed the wavy quarter panel on the driver's side, and some slight roof dents as well. They had 3 other Challengers as well, and those rockers were good yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Yanked off the plastic rockers before they cracked. Very poor design. Decided to go with Carbon Fiber. Have had them on for about 1.5 years and seen some serious drag racing and they are still perfect and I even think they look better than black plastic. My 09 had plastic rivots that were used to hold on the rockers panels and they have to be cut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Dodge Challenger Rocker Panel Problems-rocker-1.jpg   Dodge Challenger Rocker Panel Problems-rocker-2.jpg   Dodge Challenger Rocker Panel Problems-rocker-3.jpg   Dodge Challenger Rocker Panel Problems-rocker-4.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Photos: (5)
TA340 those carbon fiber rockers look great and I like your exhaust tips too!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
2011 Challenger RT Classic, 6 Spd. Black Clearcoat, STP, Sound Group II, 730N. Window tint, Skip shift eliminator, '11 Clean air duct, BT catch can, LED fog lights, Blastin Bobs glass pack reso delete.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:37 AM

To the post before this on on the cutting of the panel.....first the carbon fiber above post they look fantastic on your car!

I am not sure if you are aware of what is right under the plastic panel you have cut.....there is some sound deading insulation, not water coated and in fact your (metal) rocker panels interior. You will need to get back in there if you have not done so and use some form of waterproof silicone to coat that open exposed area.

Otherwsie if water can seep in there and it will....your going to have a rust problem. If you have seen what is under that panel with it not being there your eyes will roll in the back of your head.....you might as well through in a wet towel. The insulation will wick the moisture and then let the problems begin.

The reason they crack is that the portion of the rear and front rocker where the two screws go are not at 90 deg. they are more like 110 deg so when they tuck the rocker by those screws the over extend, are bent inwards causing the rockers to stretch thus splitting down the exterior joint.

The simple solution is to back out these self tapping metal screws so there is no tension, no they will not fall or back out, and have them set so they just barely meet the plastic and the problem is solved. Also be aware that on the rear of the rocker covers are three plastic clips that set the rocker cover into the rocker panle and two adhesive pads that secure them too. They are not going to fall off, it's good to make sure you covers are also snapped properly as they have arrived with them not being snapped in place sometimes
Just back out the screws and the problem is resolved.

Last edited by samlab; 12-10-2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: sp
The Following User Says Thank You to samlab For This Useful Post:
USRWDV8 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 AM

Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well it figures, my 2010 has just started to crack on both these panels, (from the change in temperature) not under warranty anymore, so I'm out of luck there, where can I get these replacements in that CF or did you fab those?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by TA340 View Post
Yanked off the plastic rockers before they cracked. Very poor design. Decided to go with Carbon Fiber. Have had them on for about 1.5 years and seen some serious drag racing and they are still perfect and I even think they look better than black plastic. My 09 had plastic rivots that were used to hold on the rockers panels and they have to be cut off.
Your car looks great. Where did you get the carbon fiber pieces. I would like to also replace my front spliter. the lower plastic parts on these are really cheapen them up.

Nice job!

By the way my OEM ones are still without cracks.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM

^Thanks, couple others have asked as well. Manufacturer is Seibon SEIBON CARBON « Carbon Fiber Aero Systems but I do not think they sell to public but they will refer you to a vendor they work with (was that way when I bought my parts). You can also go on Ebay and search Challenger carbon fiber and there is a number of stores that sell the Seibon products. Be aware they are not cheap but they are nice quality parts and fit well with minimal modifications. I installed on my own but could be challenging for someone with minimal wrenching skills.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Is there anything behind the rocker panel that could cause a rattle? I have a terrible rattle that can be heard inside and outside of the car when moving, and it appears to be coming from around the front of the rocker panel if I had to guess... Thought about removing it, but didn't know what might find or if it would go back on once removed...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM

i went to my Dodge dealer today to have a look at the rocker panels that were ordered in....they look newer and slightly wider compared to my 4 year old ones that obviously have signs of wear and appear slightly warped....the rivets that were ordered in are the same ones that came with my R/T back in 2008....yet the panels on the 2013 Challengers on my dealer's lot have what appears to be bolts holding them in place....the dealer tech and i agreed we will wait until the weather warms up to change them out....

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
with Blue Sinister package

Last edited by Westcoast R/T; 12-12-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:36 PM

Photos: (11)
Originally Posted by TA340 View Post
That is a thing of beauty my friend! Thanks for sharing the pics with us. That color pops with the metal flake!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.