Dodge Challenger Rocker Panel Problems - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Have you had any cracking or breakage issues with your rocker panels?
Yes 144 44.58%
No 179 55.42%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM

Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine have not "cracked" but the driver side has bulged out since november. When I was at the dealer to get the battery upgrade I pointed it out. They told me I had to take it to there body shop! At a different location to get it looked at. I have not had time to get it to them but will let you no what they do. It looks to me like the plastic has expanded beyond tolenance for the plastic rivets and sticky tape that holds them on. It actually bulges out from the rockerpanel below the driver side door. BTW, I checked on the part at the parts department. They call it body "cladding". I got the part numbers somewhere, It is held on by 2 plastic rivits front and back and double sided thick tape along the rocker. Will let you know what they do about it
Attached Thumbnails
Dodge Challenger Rocker Panel Problems-cladding.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Photos: (16)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes- starting to crack

I picked up my 2009 B5 Classic in May 09 and have put 3000 miles on it- mostly before the winter. It is in a detached ,unheated garage and was doing well with this situation until I did another check last weekend and noticed the beginning of a crack. The car has had an oil change and noisy steering box work done by the dealership- other than that it has not been on another lift or even jacked up by me.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 AM

Photos: (8)
Mine are both cracked at the rear, and the front drivers side has a slight bulge as well, like it was never put on properly. I called Dodge to complain, this is what the lady said to me: "Ok ma'am how do you know they are cracked? (Me) Because I looked at them (D) Are both cracked? (ME) That is what I said, both are cracked at the rear (D) Have they been diagnosed at a dealership (ME)No (D) Well then how do you know they are cracked? (ME) Get me another rep please! So after 25 mins on the phone, I managed to get my complaint registered, as I added my complaint with a ref# from someone on here that had already complained. Think I should complain about their lack of phone skills lol!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (0)
This poll will reflect a conservative failure rate. Once those who already voted no have their rockers crack they can't vote again. In the past few weeks more and more are just becoming aware of the issue and have watched theirs go from uncracked on initial inspection to cracked shortly after. Again we are left doing the detection and diagnosis (nice poll) with nothing back from Auburn Hills. So far we are at 50/50 which is a lot of panels to replace.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 AM

My car must be a freak because it's 15 months old and no cracks. I do drive it in winter, but only when the roads are dry.

I agree that the rocker panels are excessively flimsy. The whole rear bumper cover seems excessively flimsy as well but I haven't read about anyone having any problems with theirs.

Although I haven't had any problems with my rocker panels (yet), I do hope Dodge comes up with a sturdier design. As far as I know the only aftermarket solution currently available is the 'Cuda style shark gill design, which isn't to my taste (even if this car actually was a 'Cuda).

Other car: 2013 Mustang GT 6-speed manual
Old 03-03-2010, 07:19 AM

Cracked Rockers

I have been researching this car for about a year (with the intent to order soon), and was afraid things like this would come up, being the model is barely 2 years back in productions.

I looked at some out in western Pennsylvania and noticed the plastic panals under the door were not very solid upon tapping them with my boot. But, I did not see cracks on them. However, they were sitting in a dealer's parking lot. I have begun asking multiple dealers I am in contact with, about this issue, and will see what they tell me.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (42)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Originally Posted by Valley View Post
This poll will reflect a conservative failure rate. Once those who already voted no have their rockers crack they can't vote again. In the past few weeks more and more are just becoming aware of the issue and have watched theirs go from uncracked on initial inspection to cracked shortly after. Again we are left doing the detection and diagnosis (nice poll) with nothing back from Auburn Hills. So far we are at 50/50 which is a lot of panels to replace.
At an average of $1000 a pop to replace, Dodge is going to eat up what they make on sales just to replace these panels. I am on my second set, so I am in for $2000 already. with the others on here that make $37,000 to replace just those that have reported this week.

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T six speed manual track pack, K&N Drop in filter, Rear (3) windows tinted, Rear tail lights tinted, Side markers tinted, Sequential tail and signal lights, custom painted engine cover, R/T hood to fender decals, Hood struts, Blacked out R/T grill badge, Stainless steel "Challenger" rearview mirror accent trim, Stainless steel "R/T" side mirror accent trim, Concept "Challenger" side badging, Dodge font nose emblem and Interior Mopar dealer package.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by warrior rebel View Post
I have been researching this car for about a year (with the intent to order soon), and was afraid things like this would come up, being the model is barely 2 years back in productions.

I looked at some out in western Pennsylvania and noticed the plastic panals under the door were not very solid upon tapping them with my boot. But, I did not see cracks on them. However, they were sitting in a dealer's parking lot. I have begun asking multiple dealers I am in contact with, about this issue, and will see what they tell me.
Do not let this issue deter you from ordering, but get the extended warranty. By the time you get one in, if ordering, there should be a fix out of this issue! Overall, I am more than happy that I bought a Challenger, I just want her to keep looking nice!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by 2009ChallengerSE View Post
Mine are both cracked at the rear, and the front drivers side has a slight bulge as well, like it was never put on properly. I called Dodge to complain, this is what the lady said to me: "Ok ma'am how do you know they are cracked? (Me) Because I looked at them (D) Are both cracked? (ME) That is what I said, both are cracked at the rear (D) Have they been diagnosed at a dealership (ME)No (D) Well then how do you know they are cracked? (ME) Get me another rep please! So after 25 mins on the phone, I managed to get my complaint registered, as I added my complaint with a ref# from someone on here that had already complained. Think I should complain about their lack of phone skills lol!
I can not say I was all that happy with my call to the service line!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 AM

Photos: (21)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine is going in tomorrow. I will take pictures of brfore and after. I called the number and used the referrence number and she said as far as the warranty to keep calling in and reporting it so there is documentation.
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.