Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Farting noise from steering column..

17K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  deranged 
#1 ·
Anyone ever hear a "farting" like sound (pretty faint) coming from the steering in low speed turns? Doesn't happen all the time and mine is a SRT so it doesn't have the electric steering pump. It doesn't sound like it's coming from outside the car but more from in or under the dash near the steering column area. I can't feel it at all. Just wondering if anyone else has had this and was it a big deal or not.

Thanks in advance. :icon_smile:

#2 ·
I'm not even gonna touch this one...lmao!

Reactions: DougandMichelle
#3 ·
I have a 2011 SRT8 which had a slight squeal at low speeds. Drove me nuts. The problem was resolved by spraying lithium grease around the gasket the that surrounds the steering wheel column by the firewall. It's inside the diver side compartment.

That did the trick!

There was a great write up on this problem on the charger forum. Try googling it.

Regards,
George

#4 ·
Don't know if its the same noise but in my 2014 RT I would hear a creaking at low parking lot speed with speed bumps and it sounded like a creaking from the dash or somewhere in front of me. A low creaking like a wooden ship. I took it to the dealer (for its first oil change) and told them I'm driving a Black Challenger, I don't want it sounding like the Black Pearl." From the passenger seat he could he hear it from my seat. They did the oil change and "lubricated usual squeaking spots on seat" and it took care of the problem.

At least for a while. If I have the radio off and I'm looking for parking it comes back. Wish I knew where they lubricated. I'm a big guy, (6 ft 300 lbs) so when the little guy from the dealership sat in the seat he didn't make a noise.

I've asked another person in the passenger seat if they could hear that noise and they said it was coming from the seat when I would swear it was coming from somewhere in the dashboard.

Hope that helps.

#6 ·
Mine too! I keep telling my wife that it's my steering wheel but she doesn't buy it. I also tried to blame it on the dog and a barking spider. :icon_confused:

#8 ·
Case Number: S1319000001
Release Date: 04/17/2013
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Rubbing/Squeaking/Whirring Noise Is Coming From The Steering Column
Diagnosis:
This noise may be caused by debris in the plastic bearing of the upper intermediate shaft. This condition can be corrected by removing the steering column upper intermediate shaft and applying
lubricant to the plastic slide bearing located inside of the bulkhead pass through boot. If the customer describes the condition perform the repair procedure.
Parts Required:
1(AR) 68003883AA Grease, White Lithium
Repair Procedure:
1. Remove the steering column upper intermediate shaft. Refer to the detailed
procedures available in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT under: Service Info > 19 -
Steering > Column > SHAFT, Intermediate, Upper > Removal.
2. Secure the intermediate shaft (1) and relocate the rubber bulkhead pass through boot
(2) in order to expose the plastic bearing slip collar (3) (Fig. 1).
NOTE: The plastic bearing slip collar may either be white or black in color
depending on build range.
Fig. 1 Relocate Bulkhead Pass Through Boot
1 - Upper Intermediate Shaft (Lower I-Shaft End)
2 - Bulkhead Pass Through Boot
3 - Bearing (Plastic Slip Collar)

#18 ·
Case Number: S1319000001
Release Date: 04/17/2013
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Rubbing/Squeaking/Whirring Noise Is Coming From The Steering Column
Diagnosis:
This noise may be caused by debris in the plastic bearing of the upper intermediate shaft. This condition can be corrected by removing the steering column upper intermediate shaft and applying
lubricant to the plastic slide bearing located inside of the bulkhead pass through boot. If the customer describes the condition perform the repair procedure.
Parts Required:
1(AR) 68003883AA Grease, White Lithium
Repair Procedure:
1. Remove the steering column upper intermediate shaft. Refer to the detailed
procedures available in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT under: Service Info > 19 -
Steering > Column > SHAFT, Intermediate, Upper > Removal.
2. Secure the intermediate shaft (1) and relocate the rubber bulkhead pass through boot
(2) in order to expose the plastic bearing slip collar (3) (Fig. 1).
NOTE: The plastic bearing slip collar may either be white or black in color
depending on build range.
Fig. 1 Relocate Bulkhead Pass Through Boot
1 - Upper Intermediate Shaft (Lower I-Shaft End)
2 - Bulkhead Pass Through Boot
3 - Bearing (Plastic Slip Collar)

Does this only apply to 2012's. I have 2013 built in 2012 and it keeps making a whirring noise when I turn the steering wheel left or right at low speeds, and the noise is on the left side. I keep thinking it may be a suspension issue, maybe a bad shock or other suspension part.

#14 ·
When I took it in I reported a creaking noise on the receipt is shows
Cause: found star case #S1319000001 noise coming from steering column match with customer concern. According to star case repair procedure remove steering column and apply white lithium grease on plastic sleeve.

Correction: perform star case repair procedures, remove steering column, apply grease and install steering column.

Hope that helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#24 · (Edited)
I get the farting noise as well. Everyone riding in any of my vehicles knows up front of the "NO FARTING RULE".

This occurs after a long warm weather drive after continued brake application. It does in fact come from the brake application and not the steering. For those experiencing this pay very close attention to when and what is going on at the time of the FART.

I for one, am willing to live with it. Something that occasionally happens during really good..................;)

OHHH NO! He didn't?

deranged is in form this afternoon.

Reactions: DougandMichelle
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.