Gotta Ask: 5.7 HEMI Engine Noise? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gotta Ask: 5.7 HEMI Engine Noise?

OK, I posted yesterday about my new Header Orange R/T purchase & I noticed an (engine?) noise I heard while on the inspection drive with the salesman, & it remains after the 350 mile trek home. Seems when the RPM's go up - like starting at around 3,000 RPM, I'm hearing what I would describe as a lifter tapping/knocking noise. We then drove another R/T stick car & I did not hear it - it sounded like all engine - a sweeter sound than my car. Almost sounds a little like a solid lifter engine sound.

I called my buddy who is a test driver & designer for Chrysler & he said he has heard a sound like that on many of the hemi cars he test drives. He was going to check into this some more for me & let me know. So i ask you Challenger 5.7L folks, do your engines sound like what I am describing? Is this just an inherent sound these engines make? I ask because it does sound unusual to me & I have a 2012 Ram Hemi, & had a 2006 Ram Hemi, & I don't remember either sounding like this. Man, I hope everything is OK on this car! I can't imagine letting a dealer mechanic do major work on this car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,106 Times in 759 Posts
you're hearing the "Hemi tick" where some of the lifters are noiser than others.

It occurrs on 5.7 and 6.1 engines - and turns up on some 6.4s.

Some do it, some don't from what I've read about this - mine doesn't.

It may be due to lifters that bleed down too fast and the extra clearance makes the noise.

2009 R/T 27J pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 7/17/08, built 10/23/08, home on 11/13/08

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Black gauge faces, lighted needles
#3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:51 PM

Seems hard to imagine that going in with throttle at 3000 rpm, there would be any chance of hearing the Hemi tick or a lifter tick, for that matter. Seems like it would be all glorious engine sound or exhaust sound. If there is a repetitive clacking sound during that scenario, I would suspect it is just the cackle of the engine through the stock perf-core mufflers.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6929_4.gif

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/

Last edited by randycat99; 03-30-2012 at 01:54 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have it too. Brand new 2012 R/T and it sounds just like Powerstick says....a solid lifter engine. Its so bad in mine that just today a friend asked if I have checked the oil in my car. I like it sometimes and other times I want it gone. Maybe a warranty issue?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM

my new 2012 ticks all the way though the rpm band 900 miles on it now.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randycat99 View Post
Seems hard to imagine that going in with throttle at 3000 rpm, there would be any chance of hearing the Hemi tick or a lifter tick, for that matter. Seems like it would be all glorious engine sound or exhaust sound. If there is a repetitive clacking sound during that scenario, I would suspect it is just the cackle of the engine through the stock perf-core mufflers.
Randy, I know my cars & I'll assure you, this is not an exhaust noise - it's engine related. I have the dealer checking into this to see if there is a TSB for this symptom, plus a couple folks at Chrysler. If it is nothing to worry about, I want to know - I can live with it. But if it is something that will cause issues over time, I want to take care of it.

-Eric
#7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mine was pretty noisey at idle outside the car. Seemed like right front engine. Didn't hear it inside. Got much quieter after 500-600 miles though.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 PM

No worries, Powerstick...you should get something like that checked out. I was just trying to speak to the notion that such a noise is not typical for a normal running Hemi, IMO.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM

I have that same tic sound in my engine. I have a six speed and it is noticeable at idle and low in the RPM range 1700-2000. Some days its worse than others. When I remove the engine cover the tapping noise appears to be coming from the valve covers.

Prior to the Challenger I had a Charger with the 5.7 engine and it was the same way. I took it back to the dealership thinking, no new car should sound like this. The service manager had one of the techs run a complete diagnostic check on the engine and he didn't find anything wrong. He advised me that he heard several Charger owners mention the Hemi tapping sound. I guess its something some of the 5.7 engines have.

Take it to a local dealership or some one you can trust and have the noise checked out they might find something. If they find something wrong please post it on Challenger Talk.

My Mods.
Corsa Extreme Exhaust
#10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM

Mine makes a "ticking" sound. It was annoying to both my husband and I when we first got the car. Now I'm so used to it so I don't notice it much anymore and I was told that all Hemi's tick. I'll have to pay attention next time I drive because I think I only notice it when not accelerating.

2012 R/T Bright White, Manual Transmission, SLP Loudmouth I catback...more mods to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode