HIDs fried fuse box - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by workerunit View Post
Just a thought here but if you had not modified your Dodge by adding aftermarket HID headlights, it would not have so many electrical problems. Maybe the next vehicle your purchase will have factory installed (and warrantied) HID headlights.
How am i to know that this was going to happen? as I said Ive had the exact same HID kit running on my truck for years now and never once had an electrical problem caused by it. not to mention all the other aftermarket electricals that truck has wired to it.

Mods: Slammed on BC Coilovers - Plastidipped wheels - Flowtech "RedHot" glasspacks w/ resonators removed - Sequential taillights - 20% tint all around - Hurst shifter - Apexcone 6K HID Headlights 10k HID Fogs - personalized license plate "6 SPEED"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by SICKSPD View Post
yeah they said it was the TIPM, so this thing is to blame?
.....good grief. Take responsibility much?

HINT: you are to blame for the aftermarket HID kit you installed (whether it was installed wrong or due to incompatibility issues......makes no difference).

-- sent from mobile phone --
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Photos: (14)
Adding a new sound system is fine if tapped into the battery for voltage. A new headunit is fine as well since it can be tapped into the existing radio harness.

Problems occur when you tap into the TIPM for new things like HIDs/fogs that weren't installed from the factory. If any new loads are introduced to the TIPM it better be programmed for it. This applies to new OEM equipment with the proper programming salescodes. Adding non OEM stuff to the TIPM is not a good idea and must be avoided.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Adding a new sound system is fine if tapped into the battery for voltage. A new headunit is fine as well since it can be tapped into the existing radio harness.

Problems occur when you tap into the TIPM for new things like HIDs/fogs that weren't installed from the factory. If any new loads are introduced to the TIPM it better be programmed for it. This applies to new OEM equipment with the proper programming salescodes. Adding non OEM stuff to the TIPM is not a good idea and must be avoided.
So what are people doing differently that are running aftermarket hid kits in their challengers and not having this problem? You mentioned running the power wire to the battery with an inline fuse but the HID relay wiring harness already has one in the wire going to the power, but it wasn't blown.

and as far as stereo systems go, won't the addition of amps for subs and speakers affect this tipm since there wasn't one there before?

Last edited by SICKSPD; 11-28-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM

I guess the next question should be was that fuse sized correctly?

Mods list: K&N Typhoon CAI, Skip Shift Eliminator , Petty Strut Tower Brace, Diablo Predator 91CAI tune, License Plate backup camera with Lockpick V2, mini spare tire and adapter, Moroso Catch Can, some BT bling, 3rd brake pulser, Larry's mod Hurst shifter, coming soon Web Electric Sequential tail lights and LED under door lights
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Originally Posted by SICKSPD View Post
So what are people doing differently that are running aftermarket hid kits in their challengers and not having this problem? You mentioned running the power wire to the battery with an inline fuse but the HID relay wiring harness already has one in the wire going to the power, but it wasn't blown.

and as far as stereo systems go, won't the addition of amps for subs and speakers affect this tipm since there wasn't one there before?
Wow, let's try this a 3rd(?) time. Do NOT attach additional load to the TIPM (Fuse/Relay box under the hood)..

All additional load needs to be connected to the BATTERY. Doesn't matter if it's HIDs, stereo, etc. DO NOT tap the TIPM for power. It doesn't matter if you have a fuse or not, that's not the issue.

If you plan on adding multiple accessories then I would suggest running a properly-sized wire from the battery to an aftermarket fuse block mounted under the hood. This will let you connect multiple accessories to fused power without having to run a wire all the way back to the battery for each one.

Leave the TIPM alone.
- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

Old 11-29-2012, 12:42 AM

All I would want is for my fogs to match my HID headlights.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:47 AM

Ive had several of my relay harness control modules go out on me, is this related possibly to the TIPM since its powered to the jump off terminal?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Anyone know?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM

I had a recent issue with a DDM tuning kit. My relay harness melted. It first blew the 20amp supplied fuse. I installed a 30 amp fuse and all worked well for that night. I noticed a few days later my passenger side wouldn't ignite, but drivers worked fine. That's when I tore in and found the melted harness. My guess is a malfunction that caused the wires to heat up and the larger fuse I installed. The 30 amp fuse never blew even with the harness melted together. I've always seen the kits come supplied with a 30 amp fuse though, maybe this latest harness wasn't built with the right wiring to support a 30 amp fuse.

I installed a new kit from XenonDepot. My guess is crappy components from DDM Tuning these days. Even though I've had 4 kits on 2 other Jeeps without issues. This 5th kit crapped out. I will not be buying DDM kits anymore.

I installed both kits to the stud in the fuse box for 12v power and grounded to the frame. I've never had issues using the stud in the fuse box for power before on 05 and 07 Jeeps. The Mopar sounds system upgrades use that stud for power, figured it can run some lights.

The XenonDepot kit seems to be working fine so far. This is on my 2012 Jeep SRT8. This is new info to me about using the fuse box for power. How is it any different than connecting to the battery? If I disconnect the bolt on the stud that looses power from the battery. Seems like its basically the same connection?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.