I think i should head to the dealership!! (6-speed issue) - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
I think i should head to the dealership!! (6-speed issue)

So it happened to me three times this weekend....and I am not sure what the heck is going on. The car had been sitting for a few hours and was cold. I got in, pushed the clutch in (the car was still in 1st gear), pushed the start button and fired it up. I then tried to take it out of gear....it would not budge. It was locked up in 1st gear. I did not try to let off the clutch in fear of launching into the side of the house. I turned off the car (with the clutch still in) and it started to roll backwards (still in 1st gear). It rolled about a foot and i stopped. I tried to start it again and it fired up. I was able to shift normally after that. I dont know if it had something to do with the way it was parked or if it was the tranny. It happened three times, twice in the driveway and once at the gas station (it was warmed up that time).

Am I over thinking this? Or should i be concerned and take it to the dealership?

2009 Challenger SRT8- six speed HO
Mopar CAI, custom Predator tune, Hurst comp2 shifter, HO custom catch can, 180 t-stat and some shinny bits for dress-up
-----------------------
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Black California Hemi Express
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Mine has locked up several times- almost always if the car is on an incline. I can move it but it takes a lot of effort.

Now I usually leave it in N and use the parking brake.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyRafter For This Useful Post:
JDGA80 (09-08-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Just wondering if you have the "hill assist" on ? It does act a little funky when in the on position. I disabled it within the first 20 miles of ownership.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I would go to the dealer. I have never had this with my 2009 SRT8/6SPD after 8000 miles.

09 Plymouth SRT8/6SPD - CAI, Predator, 180, Reso Delete, Hurst Shifter, SLP Line-Lock, Sequential Taillights, Autometer Shift light, Metco driveshaft loop, Valentine One, AFCO coilovers, Arrington 85mm TB w/NOS, Nitrous Express, SLP line-lock, Poly motor mounts, Pedders Front Bushings, Pedders Rear Cradle Bushings, Razor's Edge Froont and Rear Strut Braces, Chubby Pro sway bars. 12.369/110.51 MPH in 1/4, 1.724 sixty foot time.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I almost never start the car in gear, just habit I guess. Could have been you had load on the tranny and maybe that's why you couldn't get out of gear, just a guess. I always use the PB, another habit.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.."
-Thomas Jefferson

Maggie, the other woman.. ^^^

It's stock.. Really..!
#6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 PM

no, you have a problem (IMO). once you step on the clutch, there should be no on the trasnmission. ya, the rear is connected to the trans but when the clutch is in, the input shaft should float so it shouldnt be like parking a automatic on a hill where the weight is on the parking sprag.

seems to me you have something wrong in there

#7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcuda View Post
no, you have a problem (IMO). once you step on the clutch, there should be no on the trasnmission. ya, the rear is connected to the trans but when the clutch is in, the input shaft should float so it shouldnt be like parking a automatic on a hill where the weight is on the parking sprag.

seems to me you have something wrong in there
OK, you got me..
#8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 PM

Mine has done this several times.Seems to happen on even a small incline.Using the parking brake seems to help

09 DWB 6sp R/T
70 AAR Cuda
70 Cuda Vert
#9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 PM

If you want people poking around on your car without a definite problem or issue to demonstrate to them... I treat the dealer like doctors: the less I see them the better.
The Following User Says Thank You to robroy For This Useful Post:
BB STACKER (11-29-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 PM

isnt not being able to get the car to shift out of first a problem????? seems like one to me.

shoot, maybe it is normal. i havent parked on a hill yet. but if i did, id use the parking brake. i'll have to try this and see if mine does it too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode