I think i should head to the dealership!! (6-speed issue) - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
orgJuce,

I had your issue many months ago. Came out every morning to goto work at 0500 and it would not come out of 1st gear. My driveway is on a slight incline. Had to turn the car off...start again...and it would work normally. I would get some serious "Stink" in the car...as in "STINK" sucked in thru the vents...as in nobody wanted to get into my car anymore.

This went on for about 6 months and multiple dealership visits. I went so far as to do videos for the dealer since they couldn't reproduce it (even though it happened to me daily):

challenger :: pa291036.flv video by rslawle - Photobucket
challenger :: pa191023.flv video by rslawle - Photobucket

Finally in December 2009, I was picking up the car again...again they could not reproduce it. So I grabbed the Service Advisor...drove him to the entrance with a slight incline. Got the gear stuck and the "STINK". Yippee...finally someone in person gets the full STINK and stuck in gear. Long story short...here are the replaced parts that fixed the problem:

Parts:
5038118-AB Actuator Clutch
53009180-AB Sleeve Pilot 1
4318080-AC Fluid Brake 30

"Tech found failure of the Pilot Bearing due to binding up along with Release Bearing and Pilot Bearing."

I already had Master Clutch Cylinder replaced. So the culprit according to the tech was the Pilot and Release bearing binding up.

Hope this helps...you may be the 3rd person so far (me, grifier, you).
The Following User Says Thank You to rslawle For This Useful Post:
Kimonoskunk (05-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 PM

I always park with E-brake and car in neutral( I put it in first after car is off). As for starting car I always put it in neutral then turn key or push button. I did notice one time that I could not shift out of neutral without first letting out clutch, then pushing in clutch again to shift. Don't know if this is some sort of safety thing or just the way the ignition is set up, but it seems like you have to let out clutch after starting car, then push in clutch again to change gears(you can't change gears even though clutch is pushed in to start car. I'd recommend always starting car in neutral if this is the case so you don't have to worry about whether or not you can move forward out of your parking space. Definitely check with dealer if there seems to be a problem, or maybe just to get a clarification about the issue. Best of luck.
#13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i park on a flat surface (in my shop). everyday I pull it, im in first and I just step on the clutch and turn it off. when i leave i step on the clutch and start it, shift from first to reverse and leave. never had to double clutch it. and i wouldnt leave my car in neutral after that incident back in 1982 where my car rolled down the driveway

#14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have driven my 2009 R/T for 15,000 miles and my experience is just like aarcuda's I leave the car in first when I shut it off and when I start it and have never had the shifter stuck or had to double clutch.
#15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcuda View Post
i park on a flat surface (in my shop). everyday I pull it, im in first and I just step on the clutch and turn it off. when i leave i step on the clutch and start it, shift from first to reverse and leave. never had to double clutch it. and i wouldnt leave my car in neutral after that incident back in 1982 where my car rolled down the driveway
....I agree. I would never rely on a parking brake to keep the car from rolling in any of the manuals I have owned over the years. I have had parking brake issues in the past but luckily the car was in gear each time and/or the wheels turned in the appropriate direction to keep the car from rolling away when next to a curb.

Something is obviously not right. It seems some folks are ok with simply finding “work-arounds” for issues. IMO, I wouldn’t put up with it. Take it in until they get the problem fixed (or at least so it can be documented). I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought another American car but I’ll be damned if I won’t take full advantage of the warranty and have them fix any failures/issues I find.
#16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslawle View Post
orgJuce,

I had your issue many months ago. Came out every morning to goto work at 0500 and it would not come out of 1st gear. My driveway is on a slight incline. Had to turn the car off...start again...and it would work normally. I would get some serious "Stink" in the car...as in "STINK" sucked in thru the vents...as in nobody wanted to get into my car anymore.

This went on for about 6 months and multiple dealership visits. I went so far as to do videos for the dealer since they couldn't reproduce it (even though it happened to me daily):

challenger :: pa291036.flv video by rslawle - Photobucket
challenger :: pa191023.flv video by rslawle - Photobucket

Finally in December 2009, I was picking up the car again...again they could not reproduce it. So I grabbed the Service Advisor...drove him to the entrance with a slight incline. Got the gear stuck and the "STINK". Yippee...finally someone in person gets the full STINK and stuck in gear. Long story short...here are the replaced parts that fixed the problem:

Parts:
5038118-AB Actuator Clutch
53009180-AB Sleeve Pilot 1
4318080-AC Fluid Brake 30

"Tech found failure of the Pilot Bearing due to binding up along with Release Bearing and Pilot Bearing."

I already had Master Clutch Cylinder replaced. So the culprit according to the tech was the Pilot and Release bearing binding up.

Hope this helps...you may be the 3rd person so far (me, grifier, you).
that is exactly what mine is doing (minus the smells). I will forward this info to my dealership. thanks a lot!

2009 Challenger SRT8- six speed HO
Mopar CAI, custom Predator tune, Hurst comp2 shifter, HO custom catch can, 180 t-stat and some shinny bits for dress-up
-----------------------
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Black California Hemi Express
#17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 PM

Stuck Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcuda View Post
isnt not being able to get the car to shift out of first a problem????? seems like one to me.

shoot, maybe it is normal. i havent parked on a hill yet. but if i did, id use the parking brake. i'll have to try this and see if mine does it too
God bless.
#18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM

1st gear

Here's a similar situation I had that was nothing short of frustrating, time consuming (multiple dealer visits) and "unresolved" in the end. I bought a brand new Toyota Camry V6 LE in 1994. What a reliable, dependable car, one of the best I ever had bar none. One day, after washing the exterior I started the car and that smooth V6 sounded like a diesel 4-banger with smoke exiting the exhaust and all. This happened numerous times over months. I went to the dealer, they couldn't duplicate it, they flushed the injection system with cleaner/solvent and sent me on my way. They pulled the oil pan and checked the torque on the rod caps. I made audio recordings of the noise, wrote to corporate, visited with Gulf Region rep., etc., etc. I finally pegged what I was doing before this embarassing noise and smoke made me want to drive my new car through the showroom floor. This ONLY happened when I washed the car (engine cold, not started) then after washing started it just to move into garage and shut down until the next day when I had to go somewhere. Weird but true. My solution was to never wash the car without driving it afterward at least to warm the engine up. I never had that problem again and it served my family to 200,000 miles and twice that much in clock hours of running time on the engine. I basically used the car like a taxi service would.
#19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I've got 12,000 miles on my SRT and haven't had any of these problems. I couldn't stand that hill assist "feature" and turned it off a couple days after I drove it home from the dealer. I also, turn off the iginition with car in "N", set the E brake, then push clutch in and shift to first. For anyone who drives a manual transmission, they really need to shut off that Hill Assist feature. Sounds good in theory, but I drive in the San Francisco Bay Area where we have a LOT of hills, and STOP signs at the top of them, but hated it from the very first day I drove the car. Turn it off and go practice!

MODS:
DRL's are enabled, AIRAID CAI, Billet Catch Can, 20% Tint on back windows and rear, Door sash runners, Door Panel SRT8 emblems, Resonators - Terminated, Sequential Turn Signals, Skip Shift Elimination, Hill Holder is OFF! (Not a MOD but I hate it so much I love to tell people how much I hated it. Did I mention, I hated the Hill Holder feature?)
#20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah. Turning off the hill holder was one of the first things I did.
I am a lot faster than it is.

'09 Stone White R/T
Gone to its new home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode