I think i should head to the dealership!! (6-speed issue) - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 04:51 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by rslawle View Post
orgJuce,

I had your issue many months ago. Came out every morning to goto work at 0500 and it would not come out of 1st gear. My driveway is on a slight incline. Had to turn the car off...start again...and it would work normally. I would get some serious "Stink" in the car...as in "STINK" sucked in thru the vents...as in nobody wanted to get into my car anymore.

This went on for about 6 months and multiple dealership visits. I went so far as to do videos for the dealer since they couldn't reproduce it (even though it happened to me daily):

challenger :: pa291036.flv video by rslawle - Photobucket
challenger :: pa191023.flv video by rslawle - Photobucket

Finally in December 2009, I was picking up the car again...again they could not reproduce it. So I grabbed the Service Advisor...drove him to the entrance with a slight incline. Got the gear stuck and the "STINK". Yippee...finally someone in person gets the full STINK and stuck in gear. Long story short...here are the replaced parts that fixed the problem:

Parts:
5038118-AB Actuator Clutch
53009180-AB Sleeve Pilot 1
4318080-AC Fluid Brake 30

"Tech found failure of the Pilot Bearing due to binding up along with Release Bearing and Pilot Bearing."

I already had Master Clutch Cylinder replaced. So the culprit according to the tech was the Pilot and Release bearing binding up.

Hope this helps...you may be the 3rd person so far (me, grifier, you).
Thanks for the info, however, I had the same parts replaced on my car... Three days later, the problem started again.

Guess we will replace it again. Qnyone abbé any other suggestions?

Mike

2009 Hemi Orange Challenger R/T 6-speed
bone stock other than a set of 17x9 steelies with some sticky tires.

Best MPG: 32.7 - Hyper-miling a Challenger R/T is quite odd.

Best E.T.: 13.585 @ 103.69

Last edited by Mike V.; 08-15-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 06:11 PM

Unhappy I had the same problem with my 6 speed this week

Originally Posted by rslawle View Post
orgJuce,

I had your issue many months ago. Came out every morning to goto work at 0500 and it would not come out of 1st gear. My driveway is on a slight incline. Had to turn the car off...start again...and it would work normally. I would get some serious "Stink" in the car...as in "STINK" sucked in thru the vents...as in nobody wanted to get into my car anymore.

This went on for about 6 months and multiple dealership visits. I went so far as to do videos for the dealer since they couldn't reproduce it (even though it happened to me daily):

challenger :: pa291036.flv video by rslawle - Photobucket
challenger :: pa191023.flv video by rslawle - Photobucket

Finally in December 2009, I was picking up the car again...again they could not reproduce it. So I grabbed the Service Advisor...drove him to the entrance with a slight incline. Got the gear stuck and the "STINK". Yippee...finally someone in person gets the full STINK and stuck in gear. Long story short...here are the replaced parts that fixed the problem:

Parts:
5038118-AB Actuator Clutch
53009180-AB Sleeve Pilot 1
4318080-AC Fluid Brake 30

"Tech found failure of the Pilot Bearing due to binding up along with Release Bearing and Pilot Bearing."

I already had Master Clutch Cylinder replaced. So the culprit according to the tech was the Pilot and Release bearing binding up.

Hope this helps...you may be the 3rd person so far (me, grifier, you).
I drove about 700 miles Thursday to Fort Benning Ga. from my home in Elizabethtown Ky. Went to a dedication to the K-9 Memorial at the base. I went through NCO and Scout Dog school there in 1969 . On the way to Columbus Ga. And Fort Benning . I started to smell a burnt smell . Thought it was a skunk but it lasted too long . So I stopped checked under the hood . But could not find the smell . So I drove on and it got better. But while in traffic . I came to a light going slightly down Hill . Coasted to a stop in 4th . Went to shift into 1st when I stopped . But had to yank on the lever very hard to get out of 4th . This happend twice in the two day's I was there. On the trip home . I got 28.32 mpg . Today when I went to visit my Mom . I was parked up hill slightly . Couldn't get the car out of 1st gear to back up for several min. What the H is wrong now . Then after getting home I stopped at the mail box ( up hill slightly ) . Stuck in 1st again . I sure hope this is under warranty . I have 44,000 miles on the car. I've had more problems with the engine from the 2nd week I have owned the car ( Nov. 7th 2008 - early 2009 model and first shipment of the 6 speed R/T ) . They just put a new pcm on the car. The motor also rattled a few time's when running . Sounded like the valves . At least I can tell the dealer your story . I'm afraid it may have damaged the shaft to the trans or trans. Thanks for sharing your information.

Last edited by KyHemiRT; 09-25-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: wording
Old 09-26-2010, 08:27 AM

Had this same problem about a year ago with my RT. Took to 3 different dealers with zero results. Could reproduce it for one and they just shrugged their shoulders like I shouldn't park in an incline. Problem started getting worse when I noticed it happening at intersections and stop signs. Ruined the car for me. I even started talking with a lawyer about a lemon law suit.

I eventually went to a Porsche dealer (top notch service) and test drove a Cayman S. Most precise instrument I have ever drove! Dealer could tell I was on the fence so he told me to "take it our for an hour and have fun". I'm 6'3" and if the car had 1 more inch of leg room I wouldn't have my SRT today. Traded my RT for an SRT but still think about the Cayman. Dodge dealer would not let me test drive SRT alone. Next car will be a Porsche. Dodge customer service sucks!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:03 AM

Mine was doing the same exact thing and it has been successfully repaired.

I was able to figure out two ways to make the transmisson hang up in first gear basily whenever I felt like it. One way was to stop the car on an uphill incline, shut it off, keep your foot on the brake, shift into first, let the clutch out and then let off the brake and allow the car to roll-back without the parking brake set. PRESTO, it would stick every time. It could also be made to happen by making an abrupt stop while in first gear and depressing the clutch when the engine was almost at a stall. The latter will not happen every time.

Being able to duplicate it for the service guys was a big bonus. They opened a case with Chrysler and Star told them that the discs were probably hanging up on the input shaft. They removed the transmission and the presssure plate/disc assembly from the car and cleand the splines on the input shaft and both discs. The original parts were then re-greased with Mopar grease #5083150AA and the original stuff was reassembled with 6 new pressure plate bolts #6508880AA, per the instructions from Chrysler. I had to work so I was not able to get a first hand look at the input shaft but the tech said that is was "sticky" with something.

It completely solved my problem and I have not been able to get it to stick when I park on my test-pad or when I jam on the brakes. It also seems that the 1-2 shift is improved but that may simply be the placebo effect.

D-
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Magnum, E5 red, black top, black bumblebee. 2009 Challenger SRT8, 6speed, sunroof, nav, MP Corsa, K&N CAI, one of those clear blue tuner thingys, a nasty door ding, bald rear tires, hops like a bunny , stripe-delete, PR3 cop-attracting-red and some Land Cruisers.
The Following User Says Thank You to cruiserdan For This Useful Post:
Kimonoskunk (05-14-2013)
Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 AM

Photos: (12)
Send a message via MSN to afknine Send a message via Yahoo to afknine Send a message via Skype™ to afknine
I have had this problem before....even with a Mustang I owned. To fix it..when I park my car....I set the parking brake....released my foot from the regular brake....then once the vehicle rests in place with the parking brake....I set the car in gear. Takes the stress off the transmission, and make it possible to shift when I leave where ever I am....especially if I am parked on a grade.
2009 R/T 6 speed (Silver)/Jet 180 degree T-stat/Mopar CAI/ Hood struts/BT Catch can/SRT8 springs/ Flowmaster 50s (minus resos)/ Rider 10pc Rally stripes/ Diablo sport tuner(HHP CMR Tune)/ Windows tinted (35%)/Airaid throttle body spacer/Raptor dual shift light /SRT8 struts/shocks(Bilstein)/ 85mm throttle body

Old 09-27-2010, 06:35 AM

You should NEVER have to "work around" the car being stuck in gear!!! No excuses! Take the car in and demand it be fixed.

The hydraulic assembly doesn't always fix the problem. Mine required six items in the trans including the 1-2 and 3-4 synchronizers and the shift fork assembly.

Get it fixed!

Mike

Last edited by Mike V.; 09-27-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
You should NEVER have to "work around" the car being stuck in gear!!! No excuses! Take the car in and demand it be fixed.

The hydraulic assembly doesn't always fix the problem. Mine required six items in the trans including the 1-2 and 3-4 synchronizers and the shift fork assembly.

Get it fixed!

Mike
I'm with Mike on this one. The car is under warranty and you should never feel like you're putting the dealer out for a mechanical problem. You need to get it fixed correctly and not try to work around an issue. If you do and it gets worse, or even worse the problem extends beyond the warranty period, you're on the hook for thousands of dollars in repairs..

Maggie, the other woman.. ^^^

It's stock.. Really..!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:45 PM

Photos: (4)
Started a new post, but should have come here. I have the same issue, but also in 6th gear when trying to down shift. The grease they use on the imput shaft and the clutch dust must create a glue like paste that gums up the shaft.
No Challenger anymore. (come-on GT 500)
Old 10-08-2010, 02:23 AM

Mine has 45,000 miles on it

Originally Posted by 09 Plym View Post
I would go to the dealer. I have never had this with my 2009 SRT8/6SPD after 8000 miles.
It has been harder to shift than a friend who has a 09 R/T Classic built late in 09 . Dealer looked at the car . But did nothing . It has acted up a few time's since and did yesterday. My car didn't have the stink of something burnt till I took a 1500 mile trip two weeks ago . My car engine also drags when being started when it is acting up .
Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Photos: (17)
Originally Posted by ChallyRafter View Post
Mine has locked up several times- almost always if the car is on an incline. I can move it but it takes a lot of effort.

Now I usually leave it in N and use the parking brake.
Mine was starting to do the same thing, even at stop lights, one reason I traded to the SRT autostick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.