I think i should head to the dealership!! (6-speed issue) - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by KyHemiRT View Post
It has been harder to shift than a friend who has a 09 R/T Classic built late in 09 . Dealer looked at the car . But did nothing . It has acted up a few time's since and did yesterday. My car didn't have the stink of something burnt till I took a 1500 mile trip two weeks ago . My car engine also drags when being started when it is acting up .
Originally Posted by demon72 View Post
Mine was starting to do the same thing, even at stop lights, one reason I traded to the SRT autostick.
Search my posts, I wrote up what all had to be replace inside the transmission. I plan to update it this evening with part numbers. They replaced synchos and blocker rings on it.

If you guys are having problems you have to take it in. Chrysler needs to learn about the problem and why it is happening. Please take it in and get it fixed!

Mike

2009 Hemi Orange Challenger R/T 6-speed
bone stock other than a set of 17x9 steelies with some sticky tires.

Best MPG: 32.7 - Hyper-miling a Challenger R/T is quite odd.

Best E.T.: 13.585 @ 103.69
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 06:58 AM

Still having trans hanging up

Went to have oil and filter change at local dealer yesterday ( Fri ). Was on our by pass road in town ( level road ) . And went to make a right turn onto another road . I was in 4th gear . Went to down shift to 3rd. No luck , It was stuck in 4th gear. I came almost to a stop before being able to jerk it out of 4th . Wonder if anyone with a Hurst shifter has had this problem after installing the Hurst .

Last edited by KyHemiRT; 10-10-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: wording
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by KyHemiRT View Post
Went to have oil and filter change at local dealer yesterday ( Fri ). Was on our by pass road in town ( level road ) . And went to make a right turn onto another road . I was in 4th gear . Went to down shift to 3rd. No luck , It was stuck in 4th gear. I came almost to a stop before being able to jerk it out of 4th . Wonder if anyone with a Hurst shifter has had this problem after installing the Hurst .
Mine did it before and after the Mopar/hurst shifter.

You have a synchro problem.

Mike
Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post

Mike
Bingo ! ... I never had this issue, but a guy I know did, his 2009 R/T did the same thing, brought to the dealer who couldn't replicate the lock up, they looked at it and said they couldn't find a problem. One day it locked up again and he had it towed backed to the dealership. They took out the tranny and replaced it. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:45 AM

Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post

Mike
If it does it in town the next time . I think I might just do that .
Old 07-02-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by cruiserdan View Post
Mine was doing the same exact thing and it has been successfully repaired.

I was able to figure out two ways to make the transmisson hang up in first gear basily whenever I felt like it. One way was to stop the car on an uphill incline, shut it off, keep your foot on the brake, shift into first, let the clutch out and then let off the brake and allow the car to roll-back without the parking brake set. PRESTO, it would stick every time. It could also be made to happen by making an abrupt stop while in first gear and depressing the clutch when the engine was almost at a stall. The latter will not happen every time.

Being able to duplicate it for the service guys was a big bonus. They opened a case with Chrysler and Star told them that the discs were probably hanging up on the input shaft. They removed the transmission and the presssure plate/disc assembly from the car and cleand the splines on the input shaft and both discs. The original parts were then re-greased with Mopar grease #5083150AA and the original stuff was reassembled with 6 new pressure plate bolts #6508880AA, per the instructions from Chrysler. I had to work so I was not able to get a first hand look at the input shaft but the tech said that is was "sticky" with something.

It completely solved my problem and I have not been able to get it to stick when I park on my test-pad or when I jam on the brakes. It also seems that the 1-2 shift is improved but that may simply be the placebo effect.

D-
Still holding up Cruiser Dan? Mine has started randomly to get "stuck" in 1st or 2nd just this week. I have to pull hard to rank it out.

2012 RAM 1500 Laramie -SOLD

Old 07-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by johnnymopar View Post
Still holding up Cruiser Dan? Mine has started randomly to get "stuck" in 1st or 2nd just this week. I have to pull hard to rank it out.

It still functions perfectly after ~8,000 miles of "spirited" driving. I drive the car as a commuter virtually every day and I rarely miss a chance to romp on it. In two weeks it will go on a ~1,400 mile road trip up to Miller Motorsports Park in Utah and I have an "appointment" to get on the long track all by myself. We'll see how it acts after I waste a set of tires....
1970 Challenger R/T SE, 440 Magnum, E5 red, black top, black bumblebee. 2009 Challenger SRT8, 6speed, sunroof, nav, MP Corsa, K&N CAI, one of those clear blue tuner thingys, a nasty door ding, bald rear tires, hops like a bunny , stripe-delete, PR3 cop-attracting-red and some Land Cruisers.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (17)
Finally found this thread.

After having my car for almost a year and a half and 61K kilometres on it, this happened to me for the first time last weekend, after travelling about an 800-kilometre drive.

I was not on an incline. I stopped for gas and then pulled over to the gas station store so's not to tie up the pumps, put it in 1st and shut it off. After picking up something the store, I got back in, put the clutch in, started it, and went shift from 1st to reverse, and NOTHING. I checked and the emergency was off. I turned it off and got out, told the friend I was travelling with that I had a problem. I got back in, turned it on, put the emergency on, then took it off, tried again, and no problem getting out of 1st.

Originally Posted by SuperStockDodge View Post
Bingo ! ... I never had this issue, but a guy I know did, his 2009 R/T did the same thing, brought to the dealer who couldn't replicate the lock up, they looked at it and said they couldn't find a problem. One day it locked up again and he had it towed backed to the dealership. They took out the tranny and replaced it. Good luck.
It hasn't happened since but if it happens near home, I'll definitely have it towed. I'm due for an oil change so I'll mention it when I take it in. Guess if I have to have it towed, I'll have to get the SSE removed.

I do have the Hurst but would have thought if the Hurst was an issue it would have happened before then and certainly since.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:00 AM

UPDATE: Picked up my car from the dealer today. The transmission was removed and the input shaft was cleaned and re-lubed (it was dirty with dust and the grease was gummed up). Cleaned and lubed clutch discs, splines bled clutch hydraulics. Then put back with 6 new bolts.

This seems to have cured the issues. The car no longer sticks in 1st or 2nd at all and shifts super smooth, maybe even better than before.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnymopar For This Useful Post:
Kimonoskunk (05-14-2013)
Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 AM

UPDATE: Picked up my car from the dealer today. The transmission was removed and the input shaft was cleaned and re-lubed (it was dirty with dust and the grease was gummed up). Cleaned and lubed clutch discs, splines bled clutch hydraulics. Then put back with 6 new bolts.

This seems to have cured the issues. The car no longer sticks in 1st or 2nd at all and shifts super smooth, maybe even better than before.

Excelent!

My theory is that the input shaft is coated with rust inhibitor when the transmission is built (kinda like cosmoline maybe) and that material was not being removed before they stuffed the transmissions.

I just got back from a 1,500 mile road trip with some road track time at Miller Motorsports Park (lots of shifting on the short course) and mine worked perfectly the entire time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.