I think i should head to the dealership!! (6-speed issue) - Page 5 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by cruiserdan View Post
Excelent!

My theory is that the input shaft is coated with rust inhibitor when the transmission is built (kinda like cosmoline maybe) and that material was not being removed before they stuffed the transmissions.

I just got back from a 1,500 mile road trip with some road track time at Miller Motorsports Park (lots of shifting on the short course) and mine worked perfectly the entire time.
Good to hear. Thank you very much for your help cruiserdan, it seems we had the exact same issue. Your star case helped them solve my issue before they started mucking around too much. I've been driving it the last two days and its perfect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (17)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, I'm off to the dealership tomorrow. I had a pretty rough shifting weekend. First, I was in a parking lot and when I decided on a parking spot that was nice and wide, I had to stop and back up because I was just past the spot, and voila, couldn't get my car out of either 4th or 2nd. I'm assuming it had to be 2nd since I was able to move forward without stalling. I thought pulling forward might mean I could get it out of gear but NO. I had to pull ahead and into another spot, turned the car off, checked to make sure I could get in and out of the gears and got out. Get back in 20 minutes later and STUCK in gear. I had to shut it off and start again to get it out of gear.

Then yesterday, stopped somewhere and got out for a bit. I came back, got in, started it and SURPRISE, SURPRISE, stuck in gear. So I shut if off, turned it back on and WTH I still couldn't get it out of gear. I shut it off again, turned it on and after wrenching on the shifter, got it out of gear.

This morning got my SSE removed and the guy at the performance shop offered to TAKE IT AROUND THE BLOCK, to make sure it was running probably. Ya, right. Anyway, he brings it back, backs into a parking spot, stops and gets out and tells me it's running perfect. I get in and start it, now is stuck in REVERSE!!!

Does it end there, NO. I got back to work, parked, moved the shifter in and out of the gears, shut it off, pulled on the shifter. WTH, I now know in advance of leaving for the day that I will have to go through this s*^t again at 5 pm.

Cruiserdan, thanks for your post on how you got the problem to happen because that's what I'll be doing at 8 am tomorrow morning at the dealership while the tech person who worked on it the first time I took it in is there. I also have this entire thread printed with highlights on what I think are the important parts.

Stay tuned.............
Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had the same problems, took to dealer with Starscan Case Number and they did the fix and it has been working perfectly since then, including a long day at a road course!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by bobbyj1 View Post
I had the same problems, took to dealer with Starscan Case Number and they did the fix and it has been working perfectly since then, including a long day at a road course!
What's the Starscan Case Number?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
# k38556860
Old 08-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by robroy View Post
If you want people poking around on your car without a definite problem or issue to demonstrate to them... I treat the dealer like doctors: the less I see them the better.
that's good if you don't have a problem however most people wait way too long to go to the doctor as well...denial
Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

My problems have escalated enough that my dealership has finally been authorized to do whatever is needed to fix my shifting issues. Too bad that also means pulling my transmission. It goes in first thing tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Update

BART is back together and the difference in shifting is like night and day. I can feel the shifts but no stickyness whatsoever. By the time I got in today, I was even having to push harder to get into gear even.

They did exactly what I printed from here so thanks for all the posts regarding how to fix this problem.

In a couple weeks, once I'm sure the problem doesn't come back, the service department is putting my Hurst back in for me.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 PM

Sounds like there are potential fluids and parts issues that can occur, but did I just arrive from Mars? Does any car buff with an automatic bounce his car hard off the parking pall when parking, or peg the pall on a steep hill BEFORE applying parking brake? Does any car buff with a manual park against the transmission first, before applying parking brake? On Mars, we turn the car off in neutral, or in gear with clutch depressed, and then shift to neutral, AND THEN apply parking brake, AND THEN put car in gear as the last step. I put mine in second, not first. Also, we ALWAYS turn wheels to curb when curb is present, and when given a choice, park against wheel stop on the downhill side. When starting, we depress clutch AND shift to neutral, start car, then shift to first or reverse, as applicable.

I guess this comes from driving cranky vintage manual cars. Not saying this would have solved everyone's problems, especially those finding gunk inside, but there ARE procedures that are common sense based on the various laws of physics. Sorry, not meaning to sound smug, just adhering to physics.

What I gave up to drive a Challenger.....
The Following User Says Thank You to ragtop4spto6spd? For This Useful Post:
Kimonoskunk (05-14-2013)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:58 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Originally Posted by ragtop4spto6spd? View Post
Sounds like there are potential fluids and parts issues that can occur, but did I just arrive from Mars? Does any car buff with an automatic bounce his car hard off the parking pall when parking, or peg the pall on a steep hill BEFORE applying parking brake? Does any car buff with a manual park against the transmission first, before applying parking brake? On Mars, we turn the car off in neutral, or in gear with clutch depressed, and then shift to neutral, AND THEN apply parking brake, AND THEN put car in gear as the last step. I put mine in second, not first. Also, we ALWAYS turn wheels to curb when curb is present, and when given a choice, park against wheel stop on the downhill side. When starting, we depress clutch AND shift to neutral, start car, then shift to first or reverse, as applicable.

I guess this comes from driving cranky vintage manual cars. Not saying this would have solved everyone's problems, especially those finding gunk inside, but there ARE procedures that are common sense based on the various laws of physics. Sorry, not meaning to sound smug, just adhering to physics.

What I gave up to drive a Challenger.....
sounds smug to me!! I don't do ANY of those things. Rats! I've been doing it wrong ALL THESE YEARS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.