Votes: 9 5.1%
  • 2012 automatic with sunroof

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • 2012 automatic without sunroof

Votes: 16 9.0%

Mysterious Dent Poll

29K views 69 replies 32 participants last post by  MuscleCarProf 
#1 ·
If you have these sheet metal ripples/dents/impressions that have just appeared like, please choose the option that your vehicle fits. Hopefully this will help determine a commonality.

#5 ·
Sitedrifter

Sitedrifter,

Wonderful idea! Thank you for starting the poll!

I know it might be too late but I was curious to see how many people had front or rear strut braces installed. I had an engineer tell me that strut braces might stop the body from flexing so much and help stop the dents.

I do not have strut braces, front ot rear.

BKuz

#6 · (Edited)
Sitedrifter,

Wonderful idea! Thank you for starting the poll!

I know it might be too late but I was curious to see how many people had front or rear strut braces installed. I had an engineer tell me that strut braces might stop the body from flexing so much and help stop the dents.

I do not have strut braces, front ot rear.

BKuz

I thought about it but decided to not use that as an option. it is not for us to figure out what might correct this problem, rather Chrysler needs to figure it out and let them do testing. If some sort of chassis stiffening devices are needed, then Dodge should do a recall but again, they need to figure it out. I hope people use the poll and that Dodge is watching cause it needs to be fixed. I am sick over my ripples in my fenders and frankly do not have much confidence any more in the dealer network.

#10 ·
Eric,

So in your opinion the strut braces do not help. Is that right?

BKuz

I'm not an engineer so my opinion isnt much but I do know a front brace doesn't fix the issue. Maybe a rear one? i dunno.

hopefull someone has both and can shine in.

#9 ·
Sitedrifter

Hi Sitedrifter,

I emailed Mike Driehorst from Chrysler and he knows about the poll. I told him that Chrysler Engineers and Designers need to take notice of this poll so they can figure out what is causing this issues.

We are almost like guinea pigs for Chrysler. They mass produce a product before it is fully tested and all the bugs are worked out.

BKuz

#11 ·
Hi Sitedrifter,

I emailed Mike Driehorst from Chrysler and he knows about the poll. I told him that Chrysler Engineers and Designers need to take notice of this poll so they can figure out what is causing this issues.

We are almost like guinea pigs for Chrysler. They mass produce a product before it is fully tested and all the bugs are worked out.

BKuz
I am used to it. I kind of was at the lead of the door handle issue last year. I was relentless in contacting everyone I could at Dodge and SRT. Not sure if what I did was the cause of a new handles coming out but I know i got Dodge to look at the forum.

Problem with this issue is, I doubt there will be a fix beyond PDR or in some cases, new panels and repaint.

#14 ·
#17 · (Edited)
Just spotted a few on mine, and I thought that I've been keeping a close eye and seeing nothing...................until tonight.

It's been in the garage all week, steady temps in the 50's/60's.

Mine run "vertically" on the rear qtr panels, between the door edge and rear wheel wells, both sides.

You have to look very hard, they aren't "terrible" (yet), but they are there, and they are long.

18k on the car, front and rear(4pt) bracing.

Not sure what I'll do, but I'm going to keep a closer eye on these. It's ashame, I love this car, and it would be hard to "give it back".

I'm screwed either way is some respects. If I jump through the hoops and Chrysler buys it back, the deduction for the miles is problem for me. I've got to spend another chunk of change to get a "defective car" replaced with an equal level of trim Challenger.

If the car "isn't right", and Chrysler is buying it back, then that's not my fault that I've put on more miles than "garage queens" or newer Challengers.

Swap me even for a new one, to replace a "flawed" one that I bought new. That would be taking care of a customer, and one that gets you a lot of brand recognition every time it's on the street.

One more problem, "DY" isn't offered.

Not sure what more to say at this point.

#19 · (Edited)
If you added another similar selection for people like me "with my perfect car" without dents, it would be interesting. I have 2 2010 rts. One auto b5 blue without sunroof and one Pcp 6 speed with a sunroof. Neither have strut braces. Pcp has STP but b5 blue has stock suspension

Neither shows dents that I can see. Cars are garaged. See blazing hot summer sun. Not too cold winters.

so the poll stands at 40 people with mysterious dents.
challenger production numbers through 2011 are 119600 cars

thats 0.033% of the cars have dents...........

#20 ·
My solution to my disappointment including the need for a new clutch on a 2yr old car...I ordered a 2013 GT500 Shelby. I'm still a MOPAR fan as evident by my 70 Cuda (not for sale). Sorry. but Dodge has some major quality issues on this car in need of improvement. I am hoping to purchase the 2014 Cuda if it is born.

#22 ·
I have 5500 miles on my 2011 SRT8, garage kept and not a daily driver. I have done three one day autocross events and one two day with 12 runs since November and I have not seen evidence of any "dents". I also made about 19 1/8th mile passes last fall.

My car is completly stock at this point, no front or rear shock tower braces, no change to sway bars or suspension.

#23 ·
I always thought I had a door ding in rear panel. I couldn't tell where it came from because I'm so careful. I never had it fixed because it's so small, but in same location as previous poster, vertical dent in rear quarter panel. This could be from body twist or something and not a door ding? I have hesitated on fixing it because I didnt want some PDR guy making it worse, now I'm glad I didnt, if it's just going to come back.

#25 ·
Also think an option should be added for each year
i.e. "2009 - No dents/ripples"...etc

I understand your frustration, and I'd be ticked too. But if you're going to suggest everyone that's interested in buying a new Challenger read your threads, your poll really should paint an accurate picture.

I'm curious to see what percentage this is happening too as well.

#31 ·
It's not just challengers but we do seem to have more posts than most.

I've seen similar posts about other cars as well. Most attribute them to stress and faulty design/manufacturing. Ex: apparently Minis were having the problem until they changed their build process.

I did like one particular post from a Toyota FJ Cruiser owner. (not to make light of the problem but.......)

Re: WTF? mysterious dents appearing in the roof above doors
This good be your problem. (I wish I had problems like this. )

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

Attachments

#32 ·
Hopefully this will help determine a commonality.
Thank you for doing this and making Chrysler aware. Three threads on this already and a lot of conjecture is enough. A poll is the right way to see whether the issue is overblown. :thumbsup::IThankYou:
so the poll stands at 40 people with mysterious dents.
challenger production numbers through 2011 are 119600 cars

thats 0.033% of the cars have dents...........
To be more scientific, shouldn't we compare the number of complaints here to the number of ChallengerTalk members? We have no idea how many of those 119600 have a problem. Many of us noticed the dents upon close inspection thanks to threads like this one.

I have searched those forums and have come up empty so I think this is a Challenger specific problem
Check this out: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142570
I'm a Charger owner researching the Challenger as a possible replacement. The dent/ripple issue is currently my #1 concern, but it's not Challenger-specific. My roof seems to be (very slightly) sinking in at the rear sunroof corners. The rest of the imperfections, I'll blame on the past owner, not Dodge. The sheet metal is so thin on those cars that a lot of people understandably suspect that the dents are man-made.

#33 ·
Check this out: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142570
I'm a Charger owner researching the Challenger as a possible replacement. The dent/ripple issue is currently my #1 concern, but it's not Challenger-specific. My roof seems to be (very slightly) sinking in at the rear sunroof corners. The rest of the imperfections, I'll blame on the past owner, not Dodge. The sheet metal is so thin on those cars that a lot of people understandably suspect that the dents are man-made.

I was aware of the sinking sunroof issue which I also think does not affect newer chargers but time will tell. That issue is not the same as ripples and dents appearing all over the challenger. Funny thing, I have not seen complaints of sinking moonroofs on Challengers. Sad in both problem cases and is unacceptable.

#34 ·
Just noticed some dents in mine tonight so I took the poll. I need to get it out for a better inspection to determine how many I really have but it is disappointing to say the least. Although it's a 2010 the car has less than 500 miles on it. Not even broke in yet.

#36 ·
2012 Challenger with V6 1800 miles saw the ripples on roof. 2 on drivers side, 1 on passenger. Have a claim into Dodge. Local dealer has not seen this before but working with me and Dodvge to try and figure out what may be going on. Interesting to see how many are V6, small hemi and large hemi. My V6 has pretty good power for a V6 how should not be enough to damage roof. I have a steep driveway that could possibly cause issues. Keep you posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.