Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Mysterious Dents

173K views 937 replies 176 participants last post by  Thread Killer 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

This is BKuz and I live in Trinity, Florida. I own a 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8. I bought the car in June 2011 and in July I noticed a dent above the driver door and further back on the roof there was a spot where the primer was showing through. I filed a claim online with Dodge and I took it to the dealer and got it fixed.

December 27, 2011 we had a cold snap here and it went below freezing for a few days. That day I noticed on the rear quarter panel passenger side above the rear tire and near the roof there were a series of three small dents. Also on the driver side quarter panel right past the driver door handle there was a indentation.

Both of these areas with dents must be looked at in the right light to see them but they are there! The Dodge dealer had a hard time photographing them.

I filed another claim with the Dodge dealer. Has anyone else gotten these mysterious dents from torque stress or temperature change? There are two other people here in the Tampa area that are also having this issue.

BKuz

See less See more
#3 ·
Mine also had 3 soft dents that showed up on the left rear quarter panel just behind the area where it meets the roof. I had the dent man remove them for $50. Like yours, you had to be at just the right light and angle to see them.
This was just over two years ago and all is still perfectly smooth.

#4 ·
Deezlman

Hi Deezlman,

This is the second time my car has gotten dents near the roof! It is frustrating! The last time I was at a car show and noticed them.

The first time I got one was in July, when it was very hot and humid. The second batch of dents came in the end of December when we had a cold snap down here in Florida. Is the body is flexing with temperature change?? I will leave to Dodge to figure it out!

BKuz

#5 ·
I feel your frustration bkuz. I've got similar dents. Mine are over both the drivers door and passenger door. They are very hard to see unless in the right light but once you see them you can't help but notice them. I took it to a paintless dent repair guy & he said he couldn't do anything because they are right at the reinforced area over the doors. I'm curious, did your dealer say what they did to fix them? I took some snap shots back when I first noticed them (almost 2 years ago) but they have worsened since and are a bit more noticeable now.

Here's what they look like today (excuse the dust, it's super windy here today):

I really baby this car but that didn't stop me from doubting myself and thinking maybe I caused the damage during a wash and wax or something. The dent guy said it was unlikely that I did the damage since that reinforced area would take quite a bit of pressure to create the dents. We even theorized that maybe the car hauler driver stood or kneeled on the car maybe to fasten a car above it for transport. Who knows? Your weather change theory makes more sense since I drove mine cross country from snowy Pennsylvania to sunny California when I purchased it.

Even though you can't see them unless you are looking for them, they still drive me crazy. Most people don't notice them but I do every time I look at her. These dents are the ONLY thing I hate about my car. :disgust:

#6 ·
Syko

Hi Syko,

The first dent they fixed in July on the driver side roof. They had to take the head liner down inside the car and managed to massage out the dent. The roof had to be repainted.

The second set of dents on the passenger side are a little further back on the section of the roof that comes down and meets the trunk. I also have one of the driver side quarter panel right near the door handle. I am sorry I do not have pictures. The Dodge dealer had a hard time taking pictures.

I am waiting to here back from Dodge to see what they are going to do about them.

BKuz

#7 ·
Hi Syko,

The first dent they fixed in July on the driver side roof. They had to take the head liner down inside the car and managed to massage out the dent. The roof had to be repainted.
Did it have to be repainted because of the primer showing?

The second set of dents on the passenger side are a little further back on the section of the roof that comes down and meets the trunk. I also have one of the driver side quarter panel right near the door handle. I am sorry I do not have pictures. The Dodge dealer had a hard time taking pictures.

I am waiting to here back from Dodge to see what they are going to do about them.

BKuz
Keep us posted. I'm curious what they have to say.

#8 ·
Syko

Syko,

Dodge re-painted my whole roof. The place on the roof where the primer showed through was as long as my finger.

Did you go to the Dodge website and file a case? If you like I can give you my case number to reference if you want. The more people that do the better Dodge's quality control will be!

BKuz

#10 ·
My 09 is on its 3rd year and no such dents that I can find. The temp here has varied between 95F+ and -5F or lower. The sheet metal is very thin though and if you have any kids around with even tennis balls, you got trouble.

#11 ·
yup ive got one my roof now, just like may others, im thinking its needing to go to the dealer but not looking forward to it. lol

#12 ·
This isn't the first time I've heard of these mystery dents. My '09 Torred R/T had one in almost exactly the same area everyone else has/had one. It's gotta be more than a coincidence.

Maybe some type of stress due to body flex or temp changes is my only guess. I'm kinda suprised any dealers have fixed them. I was afraid if I took mine in, the dealer would have said I caused it somehow. The SRT I have now is dent free....for now.

#13 ·
GSMC

GSMC,

The dealer tried that extra same thing! You pushed to hard while you were waxing or your kids threw a ball against the car. But I had a large dent appear on the opposite side back in July.

I found so many other Challengers that were having the same issue! I copied the website links and sent them to Dodge. I told them they were full of sh_t! Since I pushed and mentioned lawyer, I seem to be getting the attention of Dodge now!

My case has been elevated from the Customer Service Department of Dodge to the Business Office of Dodge. The department that authorizes vehicles getting fixed or replaced!

The more people that file cases the better Dodge engineering and quality control will be.

BKuz

#14 ·
GSMC,

The dealer tried that extra same thing! You pushed to hard while you were waxing or your kids threw a ball against the car. But I had a large dent appear on the opposite side back in July.

I found so many other Challengers that were having the same issue! I copied the website links and sent them to Dodge. I told them they were full of sh_t! Since I pushed and mentioned lawyer, I seem to be getting the attention of Dodge now!

My case has been elevated from the Customer Service Department of Dodge to the Business Office of Dodge. The department that authorizes vehicles getting fixed or replaced!

The more people that file cases the better Dodge engineering and quality control will be.

BKuz
I'm really glad you're pushing it and perhaps getting Dodge's attention!! Thx for doing that! I'm beginning to think this is a inherant defect in either the sheet metal being too thin in that area, or excessive flex in the body....as you said, maybe enough claims will force them to redesign or thicken up that part of the structure....

#15 ·
I just found a dent in my roof along the passenger side behind the sunroof 2 days ago that I know was not there when I bought it 3 months ago. I cannot believe all the dents and ripples in this car now, could it really be stress? I know I'm getting stressed.

#18 ·
Check this out on your cars. The only place I see something that looks like dents are those two (I don't know the proper names) strip's that run along the roof on both sides adjacent to the doors. I get them in my garage and outside in bright light and there appears to be several dents along those strips. If there not dents then it looks like something underneath was over tightend giving the appearance of dents.

#19 ·
Hi Prowler

Hi Prowler,

My dents are about 1 1/2 ft away from the strips that run down the both sides of the roof. They are not an optical illusion. I have had about 15 to 20 people agree with me that those are dents. I also have one on the rear quarter panel right after the driver door even with the door handle. But it is more like an identation. I also have ripples on my hood.

BKuz

#20 ·
Slester1 and Harell

Slester1 and Harell,

Both of you should contact Dodge and fill out a case online.

Please go to the Dodge website, scroll down to the bottom and hit Contact Us. The next screen hit I need Customer Assistance. The next screen hit Send Us An Email. Fill out the form and reference my name (Robert Kuzniewski) Case number (21756630), and the guy Harry (877-759-5427 ext.4718159) who is helping me. Also mention you are having the same problem on your car, unexplained dents all over the car. This might help our case! The more people that file a case the better the engineering and quality control will be on the Challengers.Thanks.

BKuz

#112 ·
Slester1 and Harell,

Both of you should contact Dodge and fill out a case online.

Please go to the Dodge website, scroll down to the bottom and hit Contact Us. The next screen hit I need Customer Assistance. The next screen hit Send Us An Email. Fill out the form and reference my name (Robert Kuzniewski) Case number (21756630), and the guy Harry (877-759-5427 ext.4718159) who is helping me. Also mention you are having the same problem on your car, unexplained dents all over the car. This might help our case! The more people that file a case the better the engineering and quality control will be on the Challengers.Thanks.

BKuz
I got an email from Lorrie from Dodge. My case # is 21862259 in case anyone wants to reference that too. She is supposed to give me a call tomorrow to discuss the issue. I will update you guys then!
Start here: Dodge - Contact Us

Then follow what BKuz said starting with clicking on: "I need CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE."

Reference the case #'s...yours sounds like it was exactly where mine was! Mine was resolved, I got reimbursed $180 for the PDR I had done. Good luck!

#21 ·
Hello Everyone,

I spoke to a Leesa at Ferman Dodge in New Port Richey, Florida about my dents and she told me that the estimate came out to $2400 to fix them. She then told me that they were going to use body filler (Bondo) to fix them. I told her and Dodge that could stick their Bondo where the sun doesn't shine!!
No one is going to put Bondo on my 2011 Dodge Challenger. It is not a car I just bought from the junk car! Bondo cracks in extreme temperaures and excessive humidity (Florida).

BKuz

#22 ·
Son of a B_tch! I have one right where you guys are talking about! I chocked it up to the windstorm that rocked California last month. I couldn't believe my eyes as I baby this cars exterior. I thought it was a palm tree that did it.

And at the dealership, I was showing my wife a used Challenger that looked to of had a hard life as there was 2 of these ripples on the drivers side.

#23 ·
Dino

Hello Dino,

You should go to the Dodge website and start up a case. It is the only way Dodge will have better engineering and quality control on the cars you and I love!

Don't get me wrong. I love my Challenger! I am just afraid to look at it in the direct sunlight in fear of finding more dents or body indentations!

BKuz

#24 ·
I think I'm going to. But I'm not in the mood to have it go to a body shop. I would like to tell Dodge about to help us all.

By the look of these threads I read, there is something to it. It's not all of us pounding on our cars In the same area!!!!!

#25 ·
Dino

Dino,

Please go to the Dodge website, scroll down to the bottom and hit Contact Us. The next screen hit I need Customer Assistance. The next screen hit Send Us An Email. Fill out the form and reference my Case number, and the guy Harry who is helping me. Also mention you are having the same problem on your car, unexplained dents all over the car. This might help our case! Thanks

Case Manager Name: Harry
My case number is: 21756630
The Chrysler Case Management telephone number is: 877-759-5427.
My direct extension is: 4718159

BKuz

#29 ·
Dino,

Please go to the Dodge website, scroll down to the bottom and hit Contact Us. The next screen hit I need Customer Assistance. The next screen hit Send Us An Email. Fill out the form and reference my Case number, and the guy Harry who is helping me. Also mention you are having the same problem on your car, unexplained dents all over the car. This might help our case! Thanks

Case Manager Name: Harry
My case number is: 21756630
The Chrysler Case Management telephone number is: 877-759-5427.
My direct extension is: 4718159

BKuz
I think I will. I'll keep you posted on any details. Way too many people here with the same "Dent" issue. I know nothing or no one has touched the car. And why are all these other owners complaining about the same type of dent in the same area?

#26 · (Edited)
So i thought I was the only one, I bought my Inaugural Edition last march and ten days later I found very similar anomalies in all four of my fenders. I attributed it to torque. I was doing 55 on the freeway and dropped it down to 3rd and nailed it! I subsequently took it to the dealership after I found one of the four where we found the rest of them. the first and biggest is pax rear qp. the other rear qp, around the fuel door, and the two up front are in the thinnest part of the fenders. these two look like vertical creases, barely visible to the naked eye, but in the right light you can see them.
The Dodge rep didn't believe me even though the car was 10 days old, and said there was nothing he could do, I attribute it to very thin sheet metal and monster torque.

I have not gotten the dents taken out to date, and they haven't changed in size. i posted here in April!! "Torque induced fender wrinkles"

#27 ·
It is not the torque. You guys sure you do not have someone mad at you, ex-girlfriend, wife, neighborhood kids?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.