Mysterious Dents - Page 84 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

Auto Insurance

Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a 2009 RT and I do not have any dents on the car. Though my front right fender has a barley visible crease.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 02:29 AM

2012 SXT w/ sunroof

Along with the usual ripples in the fender and elsewhere, I have dents on both sides of the roof along the roof-rails (in the middle) and dents on the roof-rails (in the middle-to-back sections), about 4~6 dents. These appeared around 5500miles.

I've read in another forum that many of these dents may be torque-induced - just from what I gather it seems SRTs have the most dent problems, then RTs with somewhat less, then the V6s with the least since these have very little torque compared to the V8s. I may be wrong, but it's worth watching for this pattern.

I know that my dents appeared during one weekend when I was cornering the SXT really hard at every turn, so in this case it was the body flexing from the hard cornering that caused the dents. I have not seen any new dents since that (currently at 8500miles). I'm hoping with a strut brace and sway bars body-flex-induced dents will be greatly minimized.
2012 SXT: Mopar CAI, Flowmaster Force II exhaust kit, ported throttle-body, ported intake-manifold, Hemifever custom 91-tune, 270amp alternator, Petty's front strut brace, HID lights + blinking sidemarkers + LED bulbs all-around, AV deck + rear license plate frame camera, dimming rearview mirror w/ temp/compass readout, matte black fuel door, chrome rocker trim, matte black taillight covers + aluminum inserts, Mopar dual-exhaust tips, dealership-installed leather upholstery/heated seats/sunroof

Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM

I bought a 2013 R/T a month ago. It had 7 miles on it when I bought it. The car has 1500 miles now and is at the dealership now getting Racing Stripes, black out lights and a squeak looked at coming from under the dash. I should be getting it back by Tuesday, hopefully. I have not payed too much attention to dimples and self made denting, but rest assure... I will come back to this thread when I get it back and do a full detailed analysis!

Last edited by Cdr.Instigator; 12-09-2012 at 05:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cdr.Instigator For This Useful Post:
BdChallenger (04-29-2013)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by MrGreenHeart View Post
2012 SXT w/ sunroof

Along with the usual ripples in the fender and elsewhere, I have dents on both sides of the roof along the roof-rails (in the middle) and dents on the roof-rails (in the middle-to-back sections), about 4~6 dents. These appeared around 5500miles.

I've read in another forum that many of these dents may be torque-induced - just from what I gather it seems SRTs have the most dent problems, then RTs with somewhat less, then the V6s with the least since these have very little torque compared to the V8s. I may be wrong, but it's worth watching for this pattern.

I know that my dents appeared during one weekend when I was cornering the SXT really hard at every turn, so in this case it was the body flexing from the hard cornering that caused the dents. I have not seen any new dents since that (currently at 8500miles). I'm hoping with a strut brace and sway bars body-flex-induced dents will be greatly minimized.
"dents on the roof-rails (in the middle-to-back sections)"

This is probably the most common place for roof rail dents. I know, I had two from the factory. Then I added a third by leaning on the roof rail while waxing the top for the first time. Challenger owners have learned the hard way that you don't elbow the roof rails while waxing the top. For what it's worth, I had a PDR guy remove all the roof rail dents and it's perfect now. He did it using the glue/pull system from outside the car. He glued the rubber stopper on, then attached a rod to it, then pulled with his hands until they were gone. Something else, the center of the top between the roof rails is also very dent prone. Don't park under any nut trees or you will regret it.

Body flex, as thin as the sheet metal is in these cars, I could believe it.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 PM

Was driving the other day and seen a 300 in black...so I sped up to take a look at it. Body ripples in the right rear quarter...same as our challeners... looked like crap... I never really thought about looking at other models, but sure enough we aren't the only ones. What terrible quality. Spend a little mor money on some stronger skin chrysler... and I'd pay the difference and then some. Too bad really
'11 GWE SRT Challenger - traded

Last edited by conceptmachine; 12-17-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 AM

I saw a 300 on the showroom floor in a dealership while waiting to get my oil changed. Same thing. So depressing.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by DamnILoveThisCar View Post
I saw a 300 on the showroom floor in a dealership while waiting to get my oil changed. Same thing. So depressing.
Thats just wrong stuff. I can understand putting the tin foil on 15-20K cars, but 50K... spend 500 dollars on sheet metal/ car when you get above 30K please... not 30 bucks.. Idiotic...
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what exactly are you guys considering the "roof rails"?
in the pic below, where the arrow is pointing ...

is that what you mean?
I've noticed these are sunken in a bit on my new challenger. Now when i say "new" i mean its new to me but she's a couple years old. i dont have any dents on the roof itself like hi had on the last one. The old car acquired about a dozen dents just on the roof in the two years i had it. and it was getting worse, which was part of the reason i got rid of it. Chrysler sure as hell wasnt going to do anything to fix it.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Photos: (2)
I just took my 2012 yellow jacket to the dealer to have the dents reported. I have about 14 dents on the roof in the usual spots. The car only has 845 miles on it and they appeared when it first got colder. Pretty disappointing for a $50k car.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Thanked 1,642 Times in 1,053 Posts
This is one of the threads that almost turned me off Challengers. My Charger also had 'tinfoil' skin and many dings when I bought it used, but I thought it was from the previous owner's neglect (and it probably was, to be honest). I decided that I could live with a few imperfections and bought a new Challenger off the lot after a thorough inspection (the salesguy thought I was crazy). It looked flawless, but it was also shown to me filthy so I wasn't 100% sure.

Now after over a month, 2,000 miles, and quite a few washes, I can say that there are indentations at the door handles (like stamping impressions), a slight crease above one C-pillar, and slightly sunken roof seals with some denting on the seals (surely done by me). At this point it is all so minor that, although anal about other things, I can absolutely live with it. My car is black and shows everything, but it's also a daily driver and I'm resigned to watching it age cosmetically somewhat.

The sheet metal IS too thin. Just like in the timing chain thread, another one that gave me pause, I think this is the smoking gun and that everything else derives from it. Flex, manhandling at the dealership, strangers touching the car, pressure from car wash dryers or waxing... none of that would matter on another car, but it is what it is. So my advice to anyone would be to not buy a car sight unseen, to take a complete look at it before signing, then to be extra careful as an owner (no kids allowed, soft touch, and no leaning on the car ever). After that... Dodge thinks we're too picky so maybe we are? The car's a looker, but unless you take it to shows why spend so much time searching for the right light for flaws (mine won't show on photos)? It's just torture and there are others beyond the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.