oil weeping from intake manifold bolt - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
oil weeping from intake manifold bolt

i noticed today that one of my intake manifold bolts had some oil residue around it and it looks like oil may have been weeping out ever so slightly. would it do any harm to take that bolt completely out, put some silicon or something on the threads and tighten it back down without undoing the other bolts? i'm not sure how "sensitive" these plastic manifolds are if the bolt pressure is disrupted.

also, i know the torque specs call for 105 in/lbs on the manifold bolts, but when i set my torque wrench to about 8.5 ft/lbs (i did a little math and it turns out 105 in/lbs = 8.7 ft/lbs) it felt like i was going to over tighten them cause they turned even at 8 ft/lbs when i tried that for the hell of it. i cant believe they used little 8mm's on the manifold and i'm afraid of snapping them!

i went over all of them with a small socket and some felt slightly looser than the others with my bare hands. so i kinda went by feel and got them all about the same without the torque wrench.

is that good enough and can i take that one out while leaving the others in?

thanks

09 Challenger R/T 6-speed w/ 3.92s

catch can
Hurst shifter w/Larry's mod
Jet 180* thermostat
HopNot total package
HopNot engine torque strut brace
M&H 275/50-17 Racemasters
Stack Performance Bullet CAI w/long IAT sensor
Email Tune from OST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just three weeks ago I had to pull the intake on my 2002 Suburban to replace the knock sensors and they could only be tightened to 85 "inch" pounds. It's practically nothing!! For your situation I would just back each intake bolt out one turn in the reverse pattern used for tightening, then just re-tighten all in the proper sequence to the proper torque. Don't remove the bolt from the engine that has the oil on it, just clean it up so you can tell if it still leaks after re-tightening all of them. If it still leaks, then you will probably have to remove them all clean them and reinstall them with lock-tight.

#3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Actually I don't think oil should ever be near the bolts...
The 5.7 uses silicone/rubber gaskets, like o-rings. That's why the bolts don't need to be torqued like crazy.

There are only two passageways that truly carry oil, the other eight are intake air, which should only carry minor PCV oil.

If you really have seeping oil, and not just a spill...

You need to invoke warranty or pull it yourself and replace the o-rings.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would replace the gaskets because , chances are, the rubber seal has separated from the metal portion.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2015 376 cu-in SRT S/C Hellcat Torred (ordered; BX)
2012 392 cu-in SRT8 Tungsten - 12.847 @ 109.89 mph
2010 370 cu-in SRT8 Torred - 12.604 @ 112.11 mph (Spartan Cam) / 12.817 @ 110.05 mph
2009 345 cu-in R/T Torred - 13.291 @ 103.67 mph

Bolt-On Mod Information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode