Dodge Challenger Forum banner

P0016, cruise control not working, stalling under wot, terrible fuel economy

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Hamtaro 
#1 ·
So recently I recieved the p0016 engine code on my 2011 challenger rt. I replaced both the camshaft postion sensor on the front passenger side of the motor and the cranshaft angle sensor behind the starter. Car was fine for about a month and now the code is back and the car has a rough idle when cold, surges when accelerating, no power, cruise control doesn't work and it won't go into "Eco" mode and gas mileage is terrible. Also wide open throttle causes it to totally bog out. It has had the timing chain tensioner replaced so I doubt it's that.

#3 ·
If it was a fuel pump issue, then replacing the crankshaft angle sensor shouldn't have fixed it though? Even after I replaced the sensor I noticed reduced performance under full throttle. Probably time to replace spark plugs however. I'll do that today and see if anything happens.

#4 ·
P0016-CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT - BANK 1 SENSOR 1

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

With the engine speed between 480 and 6816 rpm.
No CMP or CKP sensor DTCs detected.
Set Conditions:

The deviation between the camshaft position and the crankshaft position has exceeded the maximum acceptable value.
Default Actions:

MIL is illuminated on the first trip that the diagnostic fails.
The MIL will be turned off on the third consecutive trip that the diagnostic passes.

Possible Causes

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT WIRING OR CONNECTORS
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT WIRING OR CONNECTORS
VVT SOLENOID
CRANKSHAFT, TONE WHEEL OR FLEX PLATE
CAMSHAFT, TONE WHEEL OR PULSE RING
TIMING GEAR ALIGNMENT
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

1. CHECK FOR AN ACTIVE DTC

1. Turn the ignition on.
2. With the scan tool, read DTCs.
3. Record the related Freeze Frame data.
4. With the scan tool, erase DTCs.
5. Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature.

WARNING:
When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

6. With the scan tool read DTCs.

NOTE: If the DTC does not reset it may be necessary to test drive the vehicle.

Is the DTC active?

Yes, non VCT vehicles
Go To 3

Yes, vehicles with VCT
Go To 2

No
Perform the INTERMITTENT DTC diagnostic procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

2. CAMSHAFT POSITION SOLENOID CLEANING

1. With the scan tool perform the Exhaust Phaser 1 Cleaning function.

Did the DTC reset?

Yes
Go To 3

No
Perform the INTERMITTENT DTC diagnostic procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

3. CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT WIRING OR CONNECTORS

1. Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Camshaft Position Sensor and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
2. Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched or partially broken wires.
3. Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.
4. Inspect the Camshaft Position Sensor for conditions such as loose mounting screws, damage or cracks.

Were any problems found?

Yes
Repair as necessary.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No
Go To 4

4. CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT WIRING OR CONNECTORS

1. Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the CKP sensor and the PCM.
2. Verify there is good pin to terminal contact in the CKP sensor and PCM connectors.
3. Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched or partially broken wires.
4. Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.
5. Inspect the CKP sensor for conditions such as loose mounting screws, damage or cracks.

Were any problems found?

Yes
Repair as necessary.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No
Go To 5

5. CRANKSHAFT, TONE WHEEL OR FLEX PLATE

1. Turn the ignition off.
2. Remove the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
3. Inspect the Crankshaft Position Sensor and mounting area for any condition that would result in an incorrect signal, such as damage, evidence of foreign material or excessive movement.

Were any problems found?

Yes
Repair as necessary in accordance with the Service Information.

No
Go To 6

6. CAMSHAFT, TONE WHEEL OR PULSE RING

2. Remove the Camshaft Position Sensor.
3. Inspect the Camshaft Position Sensor and mounting area for any condition that would result in an incorrect signal, such as damage, evidence of foreign material or excessive movement.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No
Go To 7

7. TIMING CHAIN AND SPROCKET MISALIGNMENT

2. Verify proper timing chain and sprocket alignment in accordance with the Service Information. (Refer to 09 - Engine/Valve Timing/CHAIN and SPROCKETS, Timing - Installation) .

Were any problems found?

Yes

No
Go To 8

8. CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR IRREGULAR SIGNAL

2. Install any previously removed components. Connect all connectors.
3. Using a lab scope and an appropriate terminal probing tool, backprobe the (K44) CMP Signal circuit in the Camshaft Position Sensor harness connector.
4. Turn the ignition on.
5. Wiggle the related wire harness and lightly tap on the Camshaft Position Sensor while monitoring the lab scope screen.
6. Start the engine.

WARNING:
When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

7. Monitor the Camshaft Position Sensor signal on the lab scope screen.

Were any Camshaft Position Sensor signals irregular or missing?

Yes
Go To 10

No
Go To 9

9. CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR IRREGULAR SIGNAL

2. Using a lab scope and an appropriate terminal probing tool, back probe the (K24) CKP Signal circuit in the Crankshaft Position Sensor harness connector.
3. Turn the ignition on.
4. Wiggle the related wire harness and lightly tap on the Crankshaft Position Sensor while monitoring the lab scope screen.
5. Start the engine.

WARNING:

6. Monitor the Crankshaft Position Sensor signal on the lab scope screen.

Were any Crankshaft Position Sensor signals irregular or missing?

Yes
Go To 11

No
Go To 12

10. CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

1. Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Camshaft Position Sensor and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Were any problems found?

Yes
Repair as necessary.

No
Replace the Camshaft Position Sensor in accordance with the Service Information. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8I - Ignition Control/SENSOR, Camshaft Position - Removal) .

11. CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

1. Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Were any problems found?

Yes
Repair as necessary.

No
Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor in accordance with the Service Information. (Refer to 14 - Fuel System/Fuel Injection/SENSOR, Crankshaft Position - Removal) .

12. POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

1. Turn the ignition on.
2. With the scan tool erase DTCs.
3. Start the engine.

WARNING:

4. Monitor the scan tool data relative to this circuit and wiggle test the wiring and connectors.
5. Turn the ignition off.
6. Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Camshaft Position Sensor and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and between the Camshaft Position Sensor and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
7. Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched or partially broken wires.
8. Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals. Verify that there is good pin to terminal contact in the Sensor and Control Module connectors.
9. Look for the data to change or for the DTC to reset during the wiggle test.
10. Perform any Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were any problems found?

Yes
Repair as necessary.

No
Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in accordance with the Service Information. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Powertrain Control - Removal) .

#5 ·
Ok so I changed air filter, oil, and replaced spark plugs. I was due to change spark plugs at 60k miles and I'm at 64k so I went ahead and changed them today and pulled what had to be the original plugs out of the motor. The previous owner wasn't big on maintenance I guess. I then disconnected the battery and hooked it back up to clear engine code. So far it seems to have a bit more power, check engine left has not come back on yet but it's still surging at half throttle and doesn't quite have full power.

#6 ·
If you're getting a cam/crank misalignment code, I'd bet money somebody didn't time it correctly when they replaced the timing chain. One tooth off can and will cause problems.

#8 ·
I'll say this...there are some other things that can cause that, particularly on a VCT engine. I'm inclined to think it's a mechanical problem because you're getting the code AND poor engine operation.

The only time I ever saw that code when I was at the dealership was when a vehcile had a broken timing belt or had jumped time.

The information you'd need to see to verify that can only be accessed by a star scan. Unless obd scan gauges will show cam/crank alignment.

The fact that someone has, in fact, performed the timing chain recall would lead me to look there first.

#10 · (Edited)
If it is a fuel delivery problem, that would be real easy to see.

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge, tape it to the windshield, and go drive. If the fuel pressure stays steady and then drops at WOT, then you have your answer.

Running out of fuel at high RPM will cause a pretty violent cut out. More than alittle surging and lack of power.

But testing is key. Otherwise you can spend a fortune throwing parts at it.

#11 ·
My bet is the cam phaser is not working properly due to debris from the oil control solenoid. Use scan data to verify commanded vs actual VVT operation. SteveWhite has provided the diagnosis. This is not a fuel or spark issue. Throwing parts at it is just expensive guessing. Get it fixed before you do some serious damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.