Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Persistent problems starting

34K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  09RT6MT 
#1 ·
My Nov 2012 delivery Challenger SRT8 has had various problems over it's 40k KM life. First repeated issues with the connector on the passenger seat airbag sensor, which was finally fixed after 5 visits to the dealer to replace harness, by soldering the wires together as the connectors sent were constantly wrong from Dodge parts (mislabeled little used part in the warehousing system probably).

Another problem with various dash light codes and would disappear after restarting the car. The only one diagnosed was the radio dropping off the internal network for a few seconds.

Currently I have had I think 4 incidents of starting problems. Car is warm and shutoff for 10-20 minutes.
Press Start button and engine starts to crank, and crank and crank for about 20 seconds before stopping without firing.

No dash codes just cranking with 0 firing. Same thing for 2-3 tries. Wait 10 minutes and it starts up and runs strong.

The latest incident involved remote starting which was a first.

Remote started ok. Entered car and pressed brake/start button and car did not enable. Did this 3 times, still nothing. So now the car is running, can't be enabled and can't be shutoff (tried to hold in the start button for a while). Used the remote start on keychain and turned it off. Now press the start button and and again 20 seconds of cranking (as above but this time with a small little attempt to fire at the beginning) then nothing. Does this 3 times in a row. 5 minute break then it fires right up and is fine.

After the 3rd issue they replaced the fuel pump relay as a "guess" but they have no idea.

Supposed to get a call back tomorrow after they call engineering again.

Anyone else having this 20 seconds of cranking with no firing issue?

Same Shell premium gas all the time at a station I have been going too for 10+ years.

These trips to the dealership and loaner cars are growing tiring.

One more question for a first time keyless car. It was my understanding that holding in the Start button for an extended period should shutdown the car just like turning off a physical key. Is this true? It would not shut off in the example I provided above of the last issue I had. Kind of scary if the throttle gets stuck on this beast.

SRT8 Challenger

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the crank problem on my 2012 SRT (August 2011 delivery) when I first got the car, and I know that this might sound silly, but it was actually my fault, and I'm wondering if it might be the same thing that you're doing. I have a small car collection which includes a carburated car, so I'm kinda used to giving the throttle a push when I turn a car over. I was doing just that when I was starting my SRT, and it actually flooded the engine, resulting in the crank/no fire issue. Have you tried starting the car without having your foot on the gas? Like I said, it sounds silly, but as soon as I stopped doing it, the issue never reoccurred.

Also, your car is obviously a daily driver if you've put 40k on it in a year. Mine is a Sunday driver, and as such it hasn't been getting much wear and tear. Not saying a $50k car is supposed to have the problems you're having, but 40k in 12 months is a healthy amount of milage, and things can, and will go wrong with a daily driver over time.

Good luck, man. I hope you get everything sorted out.

- Rob

#3 ·
Thanks for the post RobF

I also grew up with many a carb'd car and probably the last 10-12 have been FInjection. Not touching the throttle at all during these incidents. It will be interesting what engineering tells the dealer to try next.

I am located in Canada so the 40K is in kilometers not miles so in US terms you are looking at about 24K miles at this point.

Yes a daily driver for me. I am fortunate enough to be a Chrysler supplier living just across the border from Detroit so I spend a lot of time driving back and forth.

#4 ·
Have you tried removing the start button and inserting the key fob and starting it that way?
Almost sounds like the fob isn't being detecetd correctly. Especially since you could start it remotely. Do you have anything else on the keychain with your fob? I know the car should say "No FOB Detecetd" but.....

#5 ·
I have not tried inserting the key during these cranking incidents.

The dash does not report the fob being missing at the time.

The dealer has ordered and received the wireless/key detection module and has it in to replace it but I have to run off to Mexico for a week for work so that won't happen for a bit.

One theory, and they say they have seen this before with a SRT8 Jeep is interference from other transmitters from other vehicles. Frequently this Jeep would not start. Turned out to be something from the Toyota parked in the garage next too it.

The only part that does not fit was in these cases it would not turn over. Mine cranks but doesn't fire.

We will see what that part does for me.

#6 ·
Currently I have had I think 4 incidents of starting problems. Car is warm and shutoff for 10-20 minutes.
Press Start button and engine starts to crank, and crank and crank for about 20 seconds before stopping without firing.

No dash codes just cranking with 0 firing. Same thing for 2-3 tries. Wait 10 minutes and it starts up and runs strong.

Anyone else having this 20 seconds of cranking with no firing issue?

One more question for a first time keyless car. It was my understanding that holding in the Start button for an extended period should shutdown the car just like turning off a physical key. Is this true? It would not shut off in the example I provided above of the last issue I had. Kind of scary if the throttle gets stuck on this beast.
Your crank - no start system sounds like the classic example of a Crank Position Sensor going bad - when they get hot, the circuit goes open and given a short cool-down, they'll work again.

Usually, it requires holding the Start button in for two seconds (I've done this on mine to test it while in motion) and it shuts down.

You may need a re-flash of the WIN node to see if that restores the shut-down function as it should be.

Reactions: PRoBLeMz
#9 · (Edited)
Thats still nearly 25K miles, thats allot of miles in a year. Personally, it sounds like you have several loose wiring connections. Honestly, I would go through your car and make sure connectors are seated tight together; unplug and plug back together. You shouldn't be having this many electrical snaffu's.... The dealer is only going to remove and replace stuff. You'd be amazed how ofter a simple loose or dirty connection can cause a problem. Track you codes and items, and check the connector if it acts up before your drag it to the dealer. These new systems operate on milli volts and 1/10 of an ohm, and the smallest deviation can cause problems.

#11 ·
It appears to be resolved now. They replaced the ignition switch receiver module and gave me new key fobs. Not sure if that was it or if cables just got reseated as others had suggested. Regardless it has been almost a month now with:

1) No issue with pressing the start button to start-up with nothing happening
2) No issue with pressing the start button to shutdown with nothing happening (still concerned about that one)
3) No issue where it cranks for 20-30 seconds without firing.

Not 100% signed off yet but looking much better.

#17 · (Edited)
It appears to be resolved now. They replaced the ignition switch receiver module and gave me new key fobs. Not sure if that was it or if cables just got reseated as others had suggested. Regardless it has been almost a month now with:

1) No issue with pressing the start button to start-up with nothing happening
2) No issue with pressing the start button to shutdown with nothing happening (still concerned about that one)
3) No issue where it cranks for 20-30 seconds without firing.

Not 100% signed off yet but looking much better.
They replaced the ignition switch receiver module

Did they replace the "push" button key, I have had problems with this with your exact concerns? One way to check is remove the button and use your keys for a while only, see if they problem goes away. The pins that protrude when you push on the button where not properly waking up the WCM causing the problem.

Also they should know when this "push" button key or FOBIK's are replaced they need to go into the Wireless Control Module (WCM) and tell it that the Passive Entry Module (PEM) was replaced, even though it was not, this is a back door to have the PEM know that the Push Button is new and relearns it.

Hope that helps
Good Luck

#12 ·
2 wks ago:

I apparently spoke too soon.

Outside the office one day start button on dash does nothing after 3 pushes.

Inserted key and turned nothing.

Pressed button again, "Defective Key message"

Opened and closed the door. Pressed start button on dash 2 more times. Started on the 2nd push.

Replaced both keys.

No problems for 2 weeks

This morning:

In garage pressed button, "No Fob Detected"
Repeated above 5 times.

Pressed unlock on keyfob to ensure it has battery power.

Car unlock can be heard.

Press start again, car starts.

Really getting tired of this car.

#14 ·
Seems like I have the same problem with a Customers 2014 SRT8. Does not start around 20 Minutes after stopping. The difference to your problem is, that this car starts when pressing the accelerating pedal. If you do not press, no chance to start it. Cold engine starts perfect.

#16 ·
Yes! I have the same problem and went to try and fix it at the dealer around June 2013 but they couldn't find the problem. Ever since it hasn't happened again until like 3 months ago. But now I've done some exhaust work to the car and I'm planning on sending the car back to get checked again but was wondering if now they'd give me a problem because my exhaust ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#18 ·
I have this same issue but I was convinced that its because of my camshaft....now Idk.

Cold start, starts up fine. Drive around, engine warms up, turn off, turn back on and it will crank and crank. Sometimes it starts sometimes it just shuts off. In order to get it to start up, I give it some gas and I thought it had to do with my camshaft.

I'd be really interested to find out if I'm having a sensor problem or similar issues as you, OP.

#20 ·
Hello together,
we relearned the WCM. Nu success.
The crank sensor was replaced last week.
Before that we replaced the spark plugs, thinking it would have been caused by the extreme short drivings before dilivery to the customer.
The car is doing this from the first day on.
Cold starting is perfect. Driving around 20 mls, standing half an hour. If you try to start then it cranks and cranks and cranks. Starting with pressed accalorator pedal causes the engine starting and rough idling for maybe half a minute. Then it runs.
My Customer and I would be more than happy to get some more ideas.
Greetings from germany
Bernd

#21 ·
Your problem sounds different than the Original Poster and without trying hi-jacking his thread here are a few ideas to try. You might start a new thread unless you already have.

If your working on a 2014 I take it your at a Dealer and have access to Wi-Tech? Have the vehicle hooked up via a VCI Pod during the crank no start condition while observing the data. I take it you have "no faults" in the system or if you do please list them.
If no faults pay attention to some of the following, injector pulse width, coolant temp reading, both cam/crank and fuel adaptives under the "OBD monitor" tab. It sounds like a fueling problem so you may want to have a fuel pressure guage hooked up as well to confirm proper pressure. Also check the throttle body TPS postion while cranking and confirm blade movement.
It could be electrical as heat can play a roll in a problem.
Hope that helps.
Good Luck

#22 · (Edited)
Good Morning Vanish Point, At first, thank you for your support. I think we have actually the same problem as the thread starter. This is what he did write.

(Currently I have had I think 4 incidents of starting problems. Car is warm and shutoff for 10-20 minutes.

No dash codes just cranking with 0 firing. Same thing for 2-3 tries. Wait 10 minutes and it starts up and runs strong.)

Then, we are a Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge Dealer here in Germany, sounds funny for me to contact a Dealer.
We are working on a 2014, we have made a VCI record, possibly you can send me your E mail Adress via PN or E Mail., then I can send the VCI report. The short and long term adaptive is lower than 3%. We disconnected the Evaporation system thinking we possibly have fuel contamination, no success.There is no support in Germany for problems with the imported from Detroit Cars. And I am not able to open a Star case in Dealer Connect.
My Mail address is Bernd.Christ at Ebert-automobile.de
Greetings from Germany

#24 · (Edited)
I have the same start problem since I bought my 11 in 2011. It will crank and crank for a good 15 seconds. The only way to get it started is to push the start button to shut the car completely off, open the drivers door, then close the door and it will start. It has now been doing it every few weeks. started to do it every few months. Sometimes if I would start the car and put it into gear quickly, it would stall. Then, this starting problem would occur. Maybe it has to do something with the security system? The red security light I believe flashes in the Fuel Gauge.
Brought the car in a few times and Plenty of head scratching which is hilarious. They think its some kind of starter wiring unit that needs to be replaced. I still think maybe the security system but, who knows? My alarm started to go off after opening and closing the trunk with the car locked. Never did this before. I just don't have time to leave my car for a couple days again and they say, cannot duplicate. I attached the link of it happening to me so I caught the gremlin on camera. They wont be able to tell me it never happened now. Good luck, bring this video and let me know if anyone gets this fixed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3BXxeQWR-c

Thanks

#25 ·
same here. 2013 challenger RT plus. car has about 8400 miles on it now. it has been to 3 dealers and had star involved . still does the same thing. always starts cold. drive it for a bit then park it and try to restart then it will just crank and crank until it shuts itself off. press the start button again and it fires right up. totally stock car. i did notice last time it seemed to be dumping fuel out the pipes. or at least smelled like an older car would that was flooded fuel wise. dealer has had the car a total of 2 months on and off now. no one seems to have a cure. they did replace the wireless start module but it is still doing it anyone out there know the real issue?? is chrysler listening and reading this? i have 7 dodges/ jeeps/rams dont make me rething my next car!. fred

#27 ·
Had almost exactly the same starting issue with my 2009 SRT8. Cranking, no start, remote start worked however "Key Fob Not Detected" message kept coming up. My dealer replaced the gas tank, fuel pickup & pump which resolved the issue. I also use Shell Premium.

Had some other issues at the same time which included the windows intermittently not returning after opening the doors as well as the window buttons not working. The HVAC did not work, could not make any heat adjustments. Left my car at the dealer for over a month when they found a bad ground. Since I picked it up in April there have been no further issues.

Good luck getting your Challenger repaired.

#28 ·
I am a FCA representative on this forum with our Social Media Customer Care team, ffreddie. Do you have a customer care case open with us? Also, do you currently have your vehicle or is it at a dealership?

#29 ·
Mine was in 3 times. My video is posted above. I believe it has something to do with the security system. The red light is blinking every time and the only way to start it is to: Push Button Off, open door to turn off power to Radio/Dash etc, close door and Start.
If I do not do this, it will continue to do what's in my video or over and over.

My Alarm has started going off if I open the trunk without turning off the alarm.

One of the Many Gremlins with my car that Dodge cannot fix.

#30 ·
I have an occasional starting issue with my 2010 SRT. It usually occurs after taking a short trip (less than 5 miles) and then shutting it off for a few minutes and then attempting to restart. Imagine running to the store for a candybar...thats the kind of trip I'm talking about.

Anyway, it will start with the button, RPM surge to 1500-1800, and then when it goes to settle down at idle, it just dies. If you attempt to re-start, it will just spin over for 10 or 15 seconds and not fire. If you cycle the key modes off-on-run-off-start it cranks back up every time.

I have heard of several people with injectors leaking causing this. Sometimes its just one, sometimes all of them. I haven't had a chance to check mine for sure, but I'd bet thats the common cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.