Power Steering loss - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Power Steering loss

A few times over the past couple of months when my car is parked and I throw it into gear then try to turn the wheel, the steering is locked up tight as a drum. Not until I move the car does it free up. Never felt anything like this even with a bad P/S pump which you can still turn the wheel but it is very very hard. When this happens you cannot turn the wheel at all until you roll (even 6 inches) the car forward or reverse. I have noticed it happens when the wheels are turned one way or the other but not full lock but close to it.

It is really hard to duplicate but I am trying to duplicate it consistently so I can take it to the dealer and show them.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, has it been fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:39 AM

Yea I'd like to know mine is hard as crap to turn sometimes. I can't recreate it I just need to record it. I took it in and they said they couldn't recreate it. Sometimes when it does that it cuts in and out as I'm turning wheel. I don't get it. I don't want anyone touching my car so I don't want to take it in. Been dealing with it randomly for almost 2 years.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Rpi splash guards ,Painted engine cover, Painted calipers, Mopar hood struts, Blastin bob's glasspack resonators kit, Mopar cai, Tinted windows
Predator 93 octane cai, Functional hood scoops
#3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,115 Times in 768 Posts
I'd suspect issues with the rack & pinion unit - if the seals are allowing the fluid to get around them, you'll get no power assist.

Pumps don't go intermittent as they are working full time when the engine is running.

2009 R/T 27J pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 7/17/08, built 10/23/08, home on 11/13/08

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Black gauge faces, lighted needles
#4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
I'd suspect issues with the rack & pinion unit - if the seals are allowing the fluid to get around them, you'll get no power assist.

Pumps don't go intermittent as they are working full time when the engine is running.

I agree but what stinks is it only happens when the car is parked and the wheels are turned sharply! Too intermittent to take it to the dealer right now but I am sure it will eventually go in for this problem.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM

Got the same thing. Brought it to dealer last week. Duplicated problem with tech in car. Said it is normal for these cars when wheels are turned to limit. He checked entire PS system & stops. Everything checked out. I then drove one of the 392's on the lot....same thing. It is apparently normal for these cars.

Stripes Make You Faster!
2011 SRT8-392 IE #262 DWB
2004 C5 Z16 CE #2017 LMB
2014 Charger R/T AWD
1995 Impala SS

#6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I think it might be time to call on your buddy. Maybe he has some insight on this.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 04:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfrick1 View Post
I think it might be time to call on your buddy. Maybe he has some insight on this.
Who's that?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
leaking rack and hose

Anybody else run ito this? I took mine in for a headlight bulb that was dim and asked the tech to also look at the low pressure power steering hose while he had it. I had done an oil change the day before and noticed several drops of power steering fluid on the return hose. He came back and told me he not only ordered a new hose but a new rack and pinion unit for me because it was leaking too. He said to take it home and put it away for the winter and they'll install the parts come spring. The car doesn't even have 9 thousand miles on it (2010) and I have had lots of weird problems. Rocker moldings cracked, door panel upper edge cracked, headlight bulb going dim (I guess the HID bulbs can slowly fail unlike the old filament type), defective hood stripes, front fender out of adjustment when new! This is the first real mechanical trouble so I guess it's just new car bugs. But damn! I know I'm going to purchase the extended warantee before the factory one runs out in June! Just wondering if anyone else had a leaking rack and pinion unit?
#9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM

My rack and pinion was seeping a little on the right side last January. I noticed it while doing an oil change. It wasn't real bad... it never dripped on my garage floor but the belly pan was a bit wet. But it bugged me. I almost tried some Lucas power steering sealer, but decided to get it fixed right.

I took it to the local dealer and had the entire rack replaced ( it is a "non-servicible part" ) and then had a 4 wheel alignment done. The worst part was my warranty had just expired Dec 30, so it wasn't covered.

I called Chrysler and explained how it was just out of warranty by the 36 months, but only had 20,000 miles. They goodwilled me about $225 towards my total bill of $1100. I believe the new remanufactured rack has a lifetime warranty.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM

Hmm, interesting. This car would be my first Dodge and I am a bit worried about QC issues. The problems which can not be reliably duplicated are the worst.

My daily driver Honda Fit didn't seem like an extended warranty car; this one does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode