Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Readiness Test Emissions Failed

29K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DanH 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I had a check engine light of system too lean at 56,800 miles. I have a custom tune from Johan. I cleared the engine code with my diablo tuner and took it to emissions so of course failed the readiness test. I live in GA and I drove to Panama City Beach for 4th of July weekend and came back with no check engine light.

Re-took the test at 58,000 miles to fail the readiness test again. The guy who did the test for me said that I need to call Dodge and find out the drive cycle and see what all I need to do. The first time I failed, they told me 200-300 miles of driving which I obviously did.

I called again and they told me to drive 55-65 for 10 minutes straight and that it should be ready. Can anyone suggest other things I need to do to make sure my car is Ready? Thanks!

#2 ·
Any help or suggestions is appreciated, thanks guys!

#3 ·
Does the tune disable/ignore any sensors? I find it hard to believe that long drive didn't allow the readiness tests to complete, which makes me wonder if you've done any mods that are causing one or more sensors to not run within the parameters for the readiness test to complete.

But, if the tune disables certain functions or sensors (Such as rear O2) then it will never show as ready. What are your mods? Please fill out your sig. :)

Reactions: dcshawty123
#5 ·
Hmmmm...that may be it..My rear o2 sensors were disabled for my no cats mid pipes but recently I changed to hi-flow mids. I will send an e-mail to Johan.

#7 ·
Yes, that was the case...Johan sent me a new tune to enable the sensors but I'm getting a check engine light saying system too lean. Sent the log to Johan he said my fuel was everywhere and it's a sign of an exhaust leak. Going to go to the shop to see if they can find it and weld it.

#8 · (Edited)
Just saw your post - get the exhaust leak fixed and perform the OBDII monitor setting as described below. Once everything has been monitored do the pretest as descibed below before heading to the testing station.

Some people have complained on never being ready for emission testing because 1 or 2 monitors never set. Be sure you haven't changed or added anything between factory emission sensors. This can include changing the thermostat because this will effect the warm up and cool down cycles; added monitoring equipment that might interfere with sensor communications/operations; or disabled rear O2 sensors through a custom tune. Good luck!

Dodge tends to hide their official drive cycle information. Below is the standard OBDII procedures for allowing monitors to perform their initial checks after clearing codes.

RUNNING AN OBDII DRIVE CYCLE
Suppose you have "fixed" an emissions problem on an OBDII-equipped vehicle. How can you check your work? By performing what is called an "OBDII drive cycle."

The purpose of the OBDII drive cycle is to run all of the onboard diagnostics. The drive cycle should be performed after you have erased any trouble codes from the PCM memory, or after the battery has been disconnected. Running through the drive cycle sets all the system monitors so that subsequent faults can be detected.

The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).

NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.
2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.
3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes.
OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.
4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.
5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.
6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.
OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.
7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.
==========================================================

Emission pretest check prior to official testing:

For Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge, the owner’s manual states that the vehicle has a simple ignition key-actuated test, which you can use prior to going to the test station. To check if your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready, you must do the following:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position, but do not crank or start the engine. If you crank or start the engine, you will have to start this test over.

2. As soon as you turn the ignition switch to the ON position, you will see the MIL symbol come on as part of a normal bulb check.

3. Approximately 15 seconds later, one of two things will happen:
a. The MIL will flash for about 10 seconds and then return to being fully illuminated until you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is not ready and you should not proceed to the E-Check station.

b. The MIL will not flash at all and will remain fully illuminated until you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready and you can proceed to the E-Check station.

#9 ·
Awesome Stuff man thanks so much! Exactly what I was looking for!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.