Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Shaker Trim Ring and Sticker Issues

11K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  richardrayfeury 
#1 ·
Since this is an important notice to anyone with a Shaker I'm going to re-post my thread here too in the Technical Issues section not just in the RT section.

This is my observations and experiences with the Shaker air intake, the Shaker hood, and the Shaker's stripe package.

First understand that there are numerous threads complaining that the 2014 Shakers and some of the early 2015 Shakers are having ongoing problems with both the trim ring and the black graphic stripes/stickers...especially the one that goes around the Shaker's trim ring. Some of these threads post pictures of the issues so it's all there plain to see. Also note that I'm about to take my 2014 Shaker back yet again for hopefully a final resolution of this issue. For some reason the sticker keeps bunching-up or peeling-off between the Shaker trim ring and the edge of the Shaker's hood opening around the trim ring.

I have always thought that the reason the sticker was peeling off was simply because the technician who laid down the graphic originally at the factory or the second time at my local Dodge Body Shop did not pay close enough attention to detail and did not properly clean the area (ensure that there was no dust or residue left under the area) before installing the graphic. To underscore my belief was the fact I've noticed many bubbles under the sticker after the second one was installed. Some came out when the sticker dried but some did not.

Also, the first time I went in to have the sticker replaced I also had them replace the original trim ring too. The original trim ring started to warp badly like an old vinyl record left out in the sun. It looked terrible...in some places it was warped above the hood line and in some places it warped dipping too far below...so they not only replaced the peeling-off sticker but the warped trim ring too. Of course this simple tasking ended up a fiasco. My local Dodge Body Shop did not know two things before they started the job. One, that the original Shaker's trim ring was actually painted a matte black from the factory and that just because the trim ring that came in the box from Mopar Parts was black in color...it still needed to be prepared and painted matte black before installation. To compound this...my local Dodge Body Shop did not have the proper paint (some kind'a 16% mix of special black and some kind'a mix of something else). Two, that the new trim ring affixed itself differently than the original 2014 one. With the original there were two silver grommets/crush washers (lack of the proper term) that you can see just under the hood both at the front and back under the trim ring. If you lift a shaker hood up you can see them on the 2014 & 2015 Shakers that I have seen. The one on the back is just above the SHAKER sticker placed under the hood. The new trim ring did not have two silver metal grommets to help hold the new trim ring down only one...the one in front. I was told that Dodge now uses extra "tape" to hold the back down. Don't know if this is true or not...but it is what they told me and what they done. The problem with not replacing the back grommet is that it makes the car look unfinished. Just above the Shaker sticker at the back of the Shaker hood opening you now see a hole and bare metal through the scratches where they had to use pliers to take the back silver holding grommet off. It seems to me that they could have at least applied some touch-up paint to cover up the scratches (Note: I bought and applied the touch-up paint myself to ensure no rust issues). So a simple two hour job was spread over two days and at least four hours of monkeying around to accomplish a less than an satisfactory job with the first go-a-round to fix the issue.

As a side note: I have already talked to the Dodge Body Shop Manager about my next trim ring and sticker replacement that is tentatively scheduled for next week. I kindly ask that the Dodge Body Shop figure out a way to attach both silver metal grommets...the one on the back and the one on the front. He told me that they could and would do that.

In the 2014 R/T Shaker Owners thread someone posted that the problem was caused by the original (2014 and some early 2015) trim ring or bezel itself. And that, it would be better when the new sticker is applied that they also put on a new and improved version of the trim ring or bezel (How do you tell the first version of the trim ring to the second version? Anyone know?)

Also in the 2014 R/T Shaker Owners thread someone posted that it's impossible to replace the sticker unless you take off the trim ring. And, it's almost impossible to take off the trim ring without breaking it...because it has two black plastic locking tabs at both underneath sides. You can see the underneath side tabs easily if you lift the shaker hood and look. The black plastic locking tabs are at the sides and the two holding silver grommets should be at the front and back.

My takeaways from my personal experiences and postings about the Shaker trim ring and sticker issues are as follows:

1) If you need to have your sticker replaced that goes around and under the trim ring make sure they also replace the trim ring too.

2) Make sure the trim ring or bezel that replaces the original is the "new" and improved version. (I don't know how you would tell...maybe a tad bit smaller so it doesn't rub the sticker or maybe it's made of a different material that won't warp so easily?)

3) Make sure the Dodge Body Shop knows that the trim ring must be properly prepared and properly painted (special matte black) before you schedule to bring your car in.

4) Make sure you insist to have both retaining grommets installed (if anyone knows the technical term...please?)...not just the one at the front of the trim ring but also at the back.

5) And above all...please keep us all posted of your experiences with this issue.

My takeaways since owning a Challenger with a Shaker:

1) Overall...love it...but...

2) Since Dodge had to paint the Shaker and the Shaker trim ring and the Shaker base plate a special matte black anyway...why not simply paint the Shaker parts the car's body color? Would not it look just as nice and maybe more nice and then you could leave the over the hood, over the roof, and over the trunk stickers off. Simple and classy solution.

3) Since the only issues I've ever had with my 2014 Challenger where tied to the Shaker stickers and the trim ring...and given the fact you can't even see the Hemi engine with the shaker hood up due to the massive shaker base plate...I'm thinking that if Dodge ever comes out with a functional ram air hood based off the typical sport "raisin brand" hood (functional in that it actually has duct work to feed the fresh air to the intake not just "open holes" that blows air on the firewall...how Dodge equates "functional" to "open" holes with no ductwork piping to the intake or at least the air box is pretty funny...or if Dodge offers the Mopar 10 functional hood as a standard option...either of those two choices would be a better way to go. You would get the ram air cold air effect and you would get away from the Shaker trim ring issue and sticker issue. The only negative is that you will probably miss the Shaker dipping upon start up and the shaker dipping when you get on it.

Anyway, the above is all I got to say on the Shaker trim ring and Shaker sticker issues...for now. I'm hopeful that someone with actual technical knowledge of the parts of the Shaker system will chime in.

Please fire comments away...

PS: The pics below show the sticker and missing retaining grommet or washer AFTER Dodge's first attempt at fixing the issue. I'm tentatively scheduled to go back next week to try and resolve and I will post results.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Wow great write-up!!! I kept going back and fourth on buying a Shaker car myself. Your observations and personal experience (as well as some other folks) was the reason why I didn't purchase one. I don't want this kind of head-ache on a daily driver!! Still, the Shakers are pretty awesome looking!! Hopefully a few tweaks here and there from Dodge will rectify these minor issues that can get very expensive -quick.

#3 · (Edited)
Your Green RT with the white stripes looks killer too!!! I came within a whisker of buying a 2014 Plum Crazy RT Classic 6spd with the white stripes...but something about the Shaker and the whole Shaker package...I even passed on a 2014 Plum Crazy Core to get the Shaker. I'm still pleased that I purchased the Shaker it's the little things sometimes (trim ring and a sticker) that bug us.

You know there are two things that come instantly to my mind with the Shaker trim ring and Shaker stickers.

1) Why would Dodge go out of there way to paint the Shaker and all it's parts a special matte black and then to add all of those sticker stripes? All they had to do was paint the Shaker and all it's parts the cars body color. Imagine if my shaker and my shaker's trim ring was Plum Crazy Purple pearl gloss. The car and the Shaker intake would look just as nice...maybe better...and Dodge would not have to sticker up the car. It's like they went out of there way to "potentially" cause issues when it was not necessary.

2) In reality it's only a plastic trim piece (ring or bezel) and the sticker that goes around and under the trim piece. It should be a one hour simple matter to resolve. It makes you wonder...if the simple tasking are difficult for the Dodge Techs...

#5 · (Edited)
Well….please don’t laugh…too hard!

NOTE: I have gone to the Dodge dealer three times for this simple issue to be resolved. And, this is the second trim ring or bezel and the second sticker installed.

Let me break today’s (9/11/15) experience down at a trim ring and sticker replacement for you.

THE GOOD

1) The sticker that goes around and under the trim ring was done perfectly!!!
2) The sticker matched the shaker in color and texture (both same matte black)
2) The trim ring had both silver holding grommets or lock nuts installed perfectly!!!
3) The trim ring itself…the plastic…was molded and fit perfectly!!!

THE BAD

1) The new trim ring or bezel was simply painted the wrong type or shade of black. To me it looks like they did not put enough matte into the mix or they went heavy on the gloss.

The only thing I don’t understand is that when the tech started the install of the trim ring they must have noticed how far off the black color and texture of the trim ring was from the Shaker and Shaker stickers but for some reason they still decided to go ahead with the install. Like no one would notice?!?

So, once again pics will be forwarded to the Chrysler Engineer…or the person that can authorized warranty work and I’m sure when the engineer sees the pictures…after laughing…he or she will authorize still yet another trim ring install.

I’ll keep everyone posted on how I’m treated by Dodge and how long it take to get the third trim ring installed. To me…it’s all on Dodge to make right. I don’t see anyway out of the box for them other than doing it right.
I just don’t get it. All we are talking about is a trim ring and a sticker?!?

Lastly, I do get the sense that my local Dodge folks are trying to get it right…I think working on a Shaker is so new to them they just don’t have any experience to draw from. I guess lucky for them…they have my car to practice on.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Powerstick,

Good idea. I don’t understand a lot of things that Dodge does. Why in the world would they go out of their way to paint all the shaker parts a proprietary matte black then add stickers of the same proprietary matte black…when all they had to do was to paint everything either the cars body color or as you said everything except the shaker scoop the body color and the shaker scoop itself an old school argent. It’s like Dodge went out of their was to open things up to potential issues with their proprietary matte black paint on the shaker, the trim ring, and the stickers. Why?!?

At this point…I’m simply more curious than anything. I’m curious as to how many tries it will take an Official Dodge Body Shop to properly install one sticker and one shaker trim ring correctly (correctly includes the correct proprietary matte black paint). Plus the fact that they have to keep going to Dodge Corporate to help and authorization is baffling all in in-of-itself. I’m up to three trim rings and at least two stickers that goes around and under the trim ring.

#9 ·
Question<> Just bought a 2015 Shaker

Just bought a dark grey 2015 Shaker edition. Striping does not show up well on the vehicle....I love the vehicle, but not crazy about the factory striping it came with. Dealership told me that they could remove striping. I am really thinking about having it all removed.....What is you all thoughts and experience with same?? Thanks for any help!!

#10 ·
I'm not wild about the Shaker striping either, think a clean hood with the shaker looks best or at least all but the center stripe removed, then I would add the R/T Classic side stripes. They are easy to remove, let the car sit out in the hot sun for a few hours and they will practically peel right off, use a little more heat from a hest gun if needed but be careful with the heat.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Would love to see the Shaker scoop body color also!, anyone done that yet?