Shameful beat down - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I feel for you Sitedrifter. I've had my auto-equipped 2012 Challenger since July, and its done what you've described to me, twice. One of the times was really bad timing, as I was merging onto a interstate and the car just went flat, and this was during rush-hour traffic, with an exit placed right after where I got on. So, I'm trying to merge on and people are trying to time getting past me to get off. Wasn't fun when the car just went flat. People performing heavy braking, some horns, some yelling, etc. And, it only lasted about two seconds. But, when you've picked your spot and timing to merge, that can seem a lot longer when it doesn't go right. Would have been funny (not really) if I would have gotten hit, and people were injured and during the lawsuits the "black box" was pulled from the car and it was found out that the throttle, timing, or some other parameter shut down causing the pause in movement and acceleration. Then who would have looked bad. Not me. When this happened, I knew exactly what it was by your previous posts.
At this point, if Chrysler thinks it's normal, and has no plans on doing anything about it. I'm probably trading out of the car sooner then later, and getting back into a 6-speed Challenger, or something different all together. I haven't decided, yet. It'll all come down to the deal. Regardless, this behavior from the programing/transmission is not cool. I thought you might have been exaggerating, but you're not.

2012 Header Orange SRT8 Challenger. Auto with Paddles, 430N, BA stereo upgrades.
2009 TorRed SRT8 Challenger.
6-speed, Sunroof, Kicker, Nav. ***SOLD***

1971 Lucerne Blue GTO. It was Limekist Green, with a 400 & M21 4-speed, but now packs a "built" 455HO & M22 "Rockcrusher".

Last edited by Perfracer; 12-20-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had same issue...

It was recent but before my Trinity tune. It was as if the car completely shut off. My heart skipped a beat, as i was suddenly reminded of my 2010 that I had lemon lawed (i know not a word) due to stalling issues. It hasn't happened since. But, yes, exactly as if the car was shut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitedrifter View Post
let me clear this up. This is not a lazy transmission downshift. The problem that occurs with my car is the fact it acts as if you completely shut the car off. Exactly like a bad accelerator pump would act like in a vehicle with a carburetor.

I could deal with it if the transmission took a little to downshift cause then all that happens is that your car does not go faster and it DOES NOT lose forward momentum. My does not go faster, rather is slows down when this happens so when a car is creeping up on your rear on an on ramp and this happens, it really is scary.

2012 Pitch Black. Zoomers. Diablo Tuned. SX Catch-Can. SX CAI. Auto. Sunroof. Harmon Kardon Sound System. 730 Nav System. Black Painted Wheels. Appearance Group. One Sexy Beast!
#33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitedrifter View Post
More looking to buy a car that runs good without a stupid bogging condition.
you can get one of those 5.0 mustangs.

on a mustang board someone started a thread about how they put 4 or 5 cars on a Toxic 392
#34 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

I had the issue with mine a couple times when stock but just quickly slapped it to autostick and moved on. Now I have a supercharger and mds is turned off.

If it continues to be a big deal, why fight it? Buy the programmer and live a happy unbogged life.
#35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Banned

my RT has done it once.

i know how to avoid it though.

when you leave a stop sign or a stop light just give it gas all the way through.

don't let the car shift into second while going at a low RPM and then try to stomp on it - car will hate you for playing with it's emotions......
#36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
my RT has done it once.

i know how to avoid it though.

when you leave a stop sign or a stop light just give it gas all the way through.

don't let the car shift into second while going at a low RPM and then try to stomp on it - car will hate you for playing with it's emotions......
I know how to avoid it too. It's called a six speed! I'm thinking the Mustang was better prepared for battle by being in the right gear and rpm range. If I anticipated a run as it seems you did, I would have been in the same position ready to go. He simply got the jump on you and your car compounded things by hesitating. This is one reason why I prefer a standard shift so I'm in control of the car and not the other way around. No doubt an automatic is quicker in the 1/4 mile, but out in real world driving situations, I'm not convinced it's an advantage. Now, the 8 speed auto may make me feel otherwise. It would be great to see one in the Challenger someday.

ARH long tube headers with cats and ARH cat backs and Mopar quad tips, Lakewood strut tower brace, K&N Typhoon polished aluminum CAI, Nitto Motivo F: 255/45ZR20 R: 275/40ZR20, skip shift eliminator, Mopar splash guards all around.

Ex PCP 6 spd Classic owner
#37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned

hmmm...I guess autos aren't always faster than sticks
#38 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM

Help me understand; you won't put a tune on it because it may harm the warranty that Dodge is not honoring anyway.
I never liked warranties, it only takes one egghead to screw you and most of the time they can out spend the cause in court. I say knock the price down substantially and I'll take the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Mopar cold air kit, S/S cat-back with Moroso Spiro-flo mufflers, 1.5" Eibach lowering springs.
#39 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrateffil View Post
Help me understand; you won't put a tune on it because it may harm the warranty that Dodge is not honoring anyway.
I never liked warranties, it only takes one egghead to screw you and most of the time they can out spend the cause in court. I say knock the price down substantially and I'll take the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
reasons I would not put the tune in:

1. in litigation right now against Chrysler
2. could affect warranty service
3. most tune(s) are not mature enough
#40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM

This problem sounds similiar to having a bad throttle position sensor. Has the throttle position sensor been checked?

Wait a minute, do these cars HAVE a throttle position sensor? LOL!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode