Smokes when I start it after sitting. - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Smokes when I start it after sitting.

My 09 6 speed 6.1 smokes when I start it after sitting for a few days. I know this should mean valve seals. But surely not! It has 8500 miles on it and a oil catch can. I have the dealer change the oil for warranty issues it is totally stock. Anyone have any idea were to look first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Since I don't know your experience level I will ask - are you sure it is oil smoke and not moisture (steam)? Oil smoke is "blueish" and does not dissipate quickly.

I have noticed a little oil smoke from mine on startup but not routinely and it is just for an instant. I have not seen it recently so maybe the break in or catch can fixed it.

2015 Hellcat incoming - finally picked up 10/10/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Challenger SRT8 - gone
2010 Jeep GC SRT8
11 GMC Sierra Ext Cab, LB
69 Pontiac Grand Prix 428
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I know it's time consuming but if you pull all 16 plugs it should show if oil is getting into a cylinder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcoronet440 View Post
My 09 6 speed 6.1 smokes when I start it after sitting for a few days. I know this should mean valve seals. But surely not! It has 8500 miles on it and a oil catch can. I have the dealer change the oil for warranty issues it is totally stock. Anyone have any idea were to look first?
My '10 6.1 6 speed did the same thing one single time at about 8100 miles. The one time it did it there seemed to be quite a bit of oil smoke on an initial start up after sitting for about 3 days, but has not done it since. I also have an oil catch can which has been installed since it had only 200 miles on it. Can't explain it, as it was a one time thing only. If yours is doing it consistently, and it is indeed oil derived smoke on initial start up, in all likelihood it is either a valve seal/guide problem, or for some reason you have a lot of oil sitting in your intake manifold. I am assuming you have emptied the catch can fairly regularly?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Pretty well known Hemi stuff. As long as you're just speaking of a little puff of blue.

I LOVE ChallengerTalk.com!

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Normal, even more so on the 6.1L. They just have a crappy PCV system that let's more than oil vapors into the intake manifold than other engines.

Tony...
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 PM

On my 3rd 6.1(1 Charger/2 Challengers). All 3 have done it afer sitting a few days. All 3 have had catch cans. Not at all unusual.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM

As long as the dip stick is not reading a lower oil level its probably what the others have said...Possibly just moisture...
If your oil levels are constant I would not worry...

Orange, 09 SRT, Loaded 6 speed
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes, it is for sure oil smoke. I just emptied my catch can and it only had 1/4" of oil in it. The motor has done it 2 times now within 2 weeks so I was starting to get worried. Well I will just keep an eye on it and maybe pull the plugs to look at them also.I checked the oil level a few hours after the oil change today and it it a bit full like 1/2" over the safe mark. Maybe I need to dump some!

My 5.7 in my truck has done this lalso now that i stop and think about it, it has only done it about 4 or 5 times in 41000 miles.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Time for a catch-can. It's some oil accumulation in the intake. This usually happens when you start and stop the car right away, like moving it in the driveway. The catch-can was originally designed exactly for this purpose, plus it keeps your TB nice and clean. Some cars need it more than others. Before I started modding the catch can would always be almost empty, some members weren't so lucky.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode