Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Sunroof creaking really bad....

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SpaceTime 
#1 ·
I have seen all of the posts regarding this issue in regards to other Dodge/Chrysler models, but not a ton for the Challenger (2012 SRT8). There is a loud, incredibly distracting, creaking sound that comes from the passenger headliner area. In researching this, it seems to be the sunroof. Has anyone been able to successfully fix this, and if so, how? Its driving me crazy, and the dealer I took it to was unable to help. (they said it was because there was no lubricant on it- so they put more on....still doing it). Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Another one of the "Dodge" things.

Mine does the same thing. I cannot drive it with the lower cover open, it drives my nuts. So I keep it closed unless the top or slider is open, then it's fine.

#5 ·
open the sunroof - clean the painted area in the opening where the rubber seal mates up to.

then apply a layer of wax on that area.

next, clean the rubber seal on the sunroof glass - you'll have to put 'roof in vent position to get to the rear area of the seal.

then apply a vinyl/rubber protectant on the seal.

Those steps will eliminate the rubber seal squeaking and creaking. Plus the rubber seal will last longer with cleaning and applying protectant.

#7 ·
I would get the squeaks from the gasket - its the combination of crud that builds up on the seal and rubbing against the opening.

Once its cleaned and waxed (painted area) its quiet. That seal fits pretty snugly and any vibration, it could squeak.

Other makes often have felt on the seals to prevent that noise.

#8 ·
I had the same problem, but it was on driver side right above my head. So it was easy to identify location. It ended up being one of the nuts that secures the sunroof frame to the roof had backed off slightly. I removed the sunvisor and partially removed the door seal so the headliner would drop down. This gave me barely enough access to the 10mm nut. I was so relieved when I pulled out of the driveway, and didn't hear the noise. It was driving me frickin nuts. Good luck to yah.

#10 ·
Sunroof Creaking

My 2014 sunroof will creak while opening and closing but it is always quiet when open or closed. I also had all of the intermittent opening and closing issues.
Now it won't return flush with the roof even when pushing from underneath and I can hear wind noise. The Dealer quoted me $2150 to replace it. Their reason given for failure was that it's a very hot and very cold location. Yea, so are the doors/windows. It's just another example of cheap crap on this car. Dodge should be totally embarrassed about the quality of build on this car. In fairness, all 4 of my factory new Dodge Rams were no trouble at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.