Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 101 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1001 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghelipilot View Post
It's been over three weeks now and my car is still just sitting. I called the Dodge Customer Care guy yesterday but never heard a word back from him?? Still wondering if anybody has heard of any kind of bullet proof fix for it yet? How long did others wait?
My last engine failure took them 23 days to get my car back. My latest engine failure has been siting in the shop for 11 days now. No work has been performed as of today. 8/21

1999 Corvette FRC
2009 Hemi Challenger R/T - Deep Water Blue Pearl (GONE and FORGOTTEN)

Mods: Billet Technology Catch Can / Eibach Pro Kit Suspension / Functional Hood Scoops / Hood Struts / Hurst Shifter Kit / K&N Typhoon CAI / Magnaflow Cat-Back Competition Series Exhaust/ Engine Cover Modified / RPI Design Stealth Splash Guards / Richard Petty's Strut Tower Bar / 345-Hemi Hood Emblems / Painted Calipers w/Challenger Letters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1002 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Is anyone else thinking about preventive maintenance, like an inspection and replacement of parts BEFORE a failure?

I'm wondering how long would be the downtime if parts were on hand before the inspection began.

At what mileage should this be done if it is done? How much would labor and parts be if done before a failure (no pistons or valves to replace, just the chain, tensioner, guide and gaskets)? Are we worried enough to pay out of pocket to have this done to avoid the catastrophic failure and inconvenience of travel disruption and unscheduled repair?

If nothing else, an inspection before failure might give some evidence as to what is wearing out before the total failure happens which might destroy the evidence of the root cause.

Larry
The Following User Says Thank You to Gekko For This Useful Post:
Moparblue (01-07-2013)
#1003 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 AM

So reading through this I can't really find any NON-MDS Hemi (manual 5.7, 6.1 auto\mans) is this accurate? I know the 6.1 has a different timing belt than the 5.7, so that could be it, OR are people saying it's MDS? If it's MDS then wow, we already hate that enough on muscle cars.
#1004 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
Is anyone else thinking about preventive maintenance, like an inspection and replacement of parts BEFORE a failure?

I'm wondering how long would be the downtime if parts were on hand before the inspection began.

At what mileage should this be done if it is done? How much would labor and parts be if done before a failure (no pistons or valves to replace, just the chain, tensioner, guide and gaskets)? Are we worried enough to pay out of pocket to have this done to avoid the catastrophic failure and inconvenience of travel disruption and unscheduled repair?

If nothing else, an inspection before failure might give some evidence as to what is wearing out before the total failure happens which might destroy the evidence of the root cause.
I looked into that. It's a spendy proposition for an preventative "inspection". Essentially, it duplicates most of the work of an outright chain assembly repair, as far as getting to the area. Lookin' at $700+ for labor? Pretty much they tear the whole front of the car out to get access...stuff you'd assume not be casually disturbed on a perfectly running car. I can only imagine the tech who does it will be thinking the whole way, "Why exactly am I doing this? The car clearly works fine."

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6929_4.gif

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/
#1005 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Still a mystery as to the cause, had mine out last 2 days, used autostick the whole time, I'm trying to avoid the MDS from kicking in. Not sure if it's the problem but waiting for a fix solution from Chrysler may never happen.So until then I use no MDS-keep oil clean-don't punch it to much and keep fingers crossed on highway at 70 mph.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#1006 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpaulg87 View Post
So reading through this I can't really find any NON-MDS Hemi (manual 5.7, 6.1 auto\mans) is this accurate? I know the 6.1 has a different timing belt than the 5.7, so that could be it, OR are people saying it's MDS? If it's MDS then wow, we already hate that enough on muscle cars.
Based on my reading, this would be correct.
#1007 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghelipilot View Post
It's been over three weeks now and my car is still just sitting. I called the Dodge Customer Care guy yesterday but never heard a word back from him?? Still wondering if anybody has heard of any kind of bullet proof fix for it yet? How long did others wait?
"heard of any kind of bullet proof fix"
Yes:
Wash car, wax car, clean engine, sweep out inside and trunk then take it to a dealer and trade it for a six speed. You will never need to worry about a timing chain again.
#1008 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM

It took Corvette eight years to come up with a fix for the steering wheel lock problem that effected 100% of the C5 vettes. You never knew when the steering wheel would lock up and leave you stranded. This timing chain problem so far has affected only .1% or less of only Challengers equipped with MDS.

In the order I installed them K&N drop-in,suitcase replaced with two magnaflow double offset 2.5" in and out, Jet 180* thermostat. Predator 93cai tune, clean air tube, resonator delete , Fastman ported throttle body. , SRT8 suspension up grade, Hood struts Best 1/8th mile 2.01 60 ft.,8.49@83.78, DA 88 Only 1/4 mile 2.11 60 ft.1/8th 8.71@82.77 1/4mi.13.41@ 105.49
#1009 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:14 AM

It's only .1 percent due to the fact that a lot of the cars are not daily drivers, I'm sure will see more failures as miles add up.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
#1010 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Just returned home from a visit to the dealership to find out if any updates on the progress of the car. She informed me that a new engine has been ordered complete. They ran diagnostic and did some test and got with the Dodges Field rep and came to the conclusion that it was the same failures as the last two motors. (timing chain) They didn't even take the motor out of the car yet, they just ordered another long block based on what happened on the previous ones.

NOW for the shocking news: The service rep told me in front of my son that the Detroit field rep admitted to her that they are experiencing timing chain failures on these engines with mds. She wouldn't go into it just said that.

Maybe they are starting to see the light about these issues we are having. She didn't say if a fix was available thou, so I guess they will just put a band aid on this new motor and hopefully by the next time my engine fails they may have a fix for it. Fortunately for us with life time power train warranty it will be just the headache of having to wait to get the cars back, unfortunately the ones that there warranties have expired they have to eat the cost of engine replacement. Something is wrong with this picture.

Anyway 4th motor and counting I guess.....

Bub

Last edited by Hemi09Challenger R/T; 08-22-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure , problems , timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode