Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger

1M views 6K replies 443 participants last post by  Mopar Frank 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been finding many reports of the timing chain breaking on the Dodge Challenger, mostly in the 5.7L Hemi engines. The timing chain breaks in most reported instances around the 35K-40K mile range.

Once the timing chain breaks, the end result is usually the valves smacking the pistons which bend the valves, damages the pistons and leads to catastrophic engine failure. This often requires a new long block.

How many of you have had the timing chain break? How many miles on the car when when it happened? and what was your experience in getting it repaired?

---------

Known instances of the timing chain breaking on the 5.7L Dodge Challenger just in this forum alone in the past few months:

1. 06/27/2011 -- mileage not mentioned -- ... come to find out the timing chain broke ...

2. 07/19/2011 -- 85,000 miles -- ... and the timing chain broke...

3. 09/27/2011 -- 33,385 miles -- 2009 R/T Motor Broke

4. 11/23/2011 -- 38,000 miles -- Club member's car. Broken timing chain. Car in shop for over two months.

5. 12/07/2011 -- 34,000 miles -- I found this thread the hard way...

6. 12/19/2011 -- 22,600 miles -- 2010 Challenger - Timing Chain Breaks...

7. 01/21/2012 -- 60,000 miles -- Engine went..........

8. 02/02/2012 -- 38,000 miles -- 2009 Challenger R/T lost a second motor .. (Second occurrence. See #3 above. 4,000 miles on new motor).

9. 03/08/2012 -- 50,000 miles -- BLOWN ENGINE 50,000 miles

10. 03/23/2012 -- 14,000 miles -- ... my timing chain snapped

11. 04/04/2012 -- 53,500 miles -- My timing chain just broke today ...

12. 04/16/2012 -- 46,000 miles -- Mine is in the shop with a broken timing chain...

13. 04/27/2012 -- 31,000 miles -- My chain broke back in December of 2011 ...

14. 05/22/2012 -- 37,000 miles -- Here's another 2010 Auto R/T with a broken timing chain! ...

15. 06/13/2012 -- 40,257 miles -- I too have a broken timing chain ...

16. 06/23/2012 -- 38,485 miles -- Guess I can be added to the list ...

17. 06/26/2012 -- 38,500 miles -- Just happened last Saturday ...

18. 08/02/2012 -- 59,134 miles -- ... all of a sudden Bam the engine shuts down

19. 08/03/2012 -- 38,000 miles -- I had this happen at 38000 miles, 2010 R/T Auto

20. 08/08/2012 -- 27,000 miles -- The timing chain on my 2010 R/T just broke ...

21. 08/10/2012 -- 59,300 miles -- ... timing chain broke again. (Third occurrence. See #3 and #8 above. 16,000 miles on new motor).

22. 08/10/2012 -- 63,000 miles -- ... timing chain broke cruising at 70mph on the highway

23. 09/03/2012 -- 40,000 miles -- ... while driving to dallas my timing chain broke

24. 09/11/2012 -- 24,000 miles -- Welp - chalk up another one ... (first 2011 to be reported here)

25. 09/21/2012 -- 31,100 miles -- This just happened a few days ago ...

26. 10/10/2012 -- 42,559 miles -- Well it's looking like I'm the latest timing chain victim ...

27. 10/24/2012 -- 65,000 miles -- ... driving on the highway 65MPH and "Pop goes to weasel"

28. 11/18/2012 -- 40,000 miles -- Mine just broke...2010 mopar 10, no mods, auto ... (first to break not at highway speeds)

29. 11/19/2012 -- 39,000 miles -- just got another 2010 with 39000 in today ...

30. 12/04/2012 -- 40,000 miles -- The timing chain on my 2010 Auto RT broke last Friday ...

31. 12/09/2012 -- miles pending -- ... R/T not running at the moment timing chain broke ...

32. 12/11/2012 -- 27,000 miles -- ... cruising on the interstate at 70, MDS on, when suddenly loss of power ...

33. 01/03/2013 -- 58,000 miles -- ... the dealer has confirmed that I did have a timing chain failure.

34. 01/22/2013 -- 40,000 miles -- It has been confirmed I as well did have a broken timing chain

35. 01/22/2013 -- 43,000 miles -- 2010 R/T, 5-speed auto with mds. No mods at all.

36. 02/22/2013 -- 52,000 miles -- ... it happen to me this weekend ...

37. 04/15/2013 -- 55,000 miles -- I have now become victim to a failed timing chain

38. 04/20/2013 -- 73,000 miles -- cruising at 65 mph, in MSD, engine 'shut down'

39. 05/13/2013 -- 66,000 miles -- lost it on the interstate doing 73 in MDS

40. 05/20/2013 -- 56.616 miles -- ... on the freeway headed to work in the rain and Wham

41. 05/24/2013 -- 28,000 miles -- the chain went on the highway at 70+ mph

42. 06/07/2013 -- 88,256 miles -- ... driving down the highway heard a loud pop ...

43. 07/01/2013 -- 52,000 miles -- Timing chain broke on freeway ...

44. 07/23/2013 -- 54,057 miles -- Was in a canyon going uphill at about 55mph ... (claims MDS not engaged)

45. 07/26/2013 -- 49,000 miles -- Cruising along 65 mph engine stalled.

46. 08/10/2013 -- 22,281 miles -- I wish I found this topic sooner

47. 09/17/2013 -- 40,091 miles -- driving 74 mph in cruse control just died ...

48. 10/04/2013 -- 68,000 miles -- Add another one to the list OMG.

49. 10/22/2013 -- 89,000 miles -- Timing chain went on my 09 Challenger

50. 11/13/2013 -- 55,320 miles -- I had hoped I would never be posting this message ...

51. 11/13/2013 -- 42,342 miles -- Just got up to highway speed Bam Powerloss ...

52. 11/21/2013 -- 53,000 miles -- Add me to the list of failures ...

53. 11/27/2013 -- 73,000 miles -- I was cruising at highway speeds (70 mph), in MDS

54. Recall initiated, see below.

Remember, these reports are from this forum alone. Real world numbers are greatly increased.

The things in common when the timing chain breaks so far are:

1. MDS is activated (auto trans., so 6-speed are excluded)
2. Traveling at freeway speeds (or coming off of freeway)
3. 2009-2011 model years affected so far.
4. Limited to the 5.7L motor so far
5. Dodge Challenger only

Things ruled out thus far:

A. 6-speed manual transmissions not affected
B. Other 5.7L vehicles not affected, i.e., Charger, 300, Ram truck
C. New guide shoe (white color) has also failed (see #8 on list of failures)
D. New crate motor has also failed (see #3 and #8 on list of failures)
E. Both stock and mod cars affected
F. Both stock tune and Predator tune (with MDS turned on) affected
G. All oil change intervals affected, i.e., 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, etc.
H. All types of oil affected, i.e., both synthetic and conventional oil

* Author's notes (last updated 10/28/13):

(1) When I created this thread, I was so taken back by a timing chain failure happening and discovering at least a half dozen similar occurrences, that I attempted to discover if anyone here had experienced a timing chain failure and what their dealership experience was. I got a lot of adverse feedback along the lines of "alarmist" and "chicken little" and other name calling, including some from dealerships and master mechanics, as can be seen in just the first few hundred posts below. Many attempted to derail this thread by taking it off-topic on many, many occasions. Some are still out there promoting denial of the issue. Still, the problem remains, it is real and it continues to plague fellow Challenger owners.

(2) The timing chain concern can be alleviated by disabling MDS (a band-aid solution not a fix). All but one recent report have shown that MDS was engaged and the car was traveling at freeway speeds. You can prevent MDS from being activated by switching into manual mode while driving on the freeway. You can read How to use the Autostick feature and manual mode here. You can also use a tuner to disable the MDS feature, but be forewarned, if the dealership discovers your use of a tuner on the car, you are in for a fight to get the repairs done under warranty.

(3) Chrysler is aware of the issue and has been monitoring this thread for some time regardless of they might tell you. In addition, many people have already telephoned customer service and have written to Chrysler directly. But, even without all of that, you don't have timing chains, tensioners, heads and short blocks rolling out of the warehouse in the numbers that they have without raising some internal red flags of a potential issue.

(4) Talks of running off to court and filing a lawsuit over this issue are misguided. Your warranty specifically states that you MUST first submit the matter to arbitration. Any lawsuit would be immediately dismissed, and now you are out the filing fees.

(5) When I first created this thread, the weekly parts demand for timing chains was at about 15. It is currently hovering around 35 at the moment.

(6) Chrysler has switched from the black tensioner and guide to white (supposedly stronger) and then to an aluminum tensioner and guide with a plastic face plate (the current part). Both black and white guides have failed. No reports of the aluminum failing yet but they are relatively new first showing up in mid-2013 R/T's.

(7) The exact cause of the timing chain failure is still unknown. In fact, it may never been known. There are just too many factors involved to isolate the problem, and if we haven't discovered the cause in over 350,000 page views, how can we expect Chrysler to? While there is a lot of speculation as to the exact cause, which seems to go round-and-round every few hundred posts, it is all just that -- speculation. What we do for for certain is that MDS is playing a part in the timing chain failures.

(8) Special shout outs to Desert Bum, Hal H, hmk123, Force10, 19johned53, and the nameless many who have helped to keep this issue real and on topic. Your comments are appreciated.

---------

* Author's notes (last updated 02/12/14):

Customer Satisfaction Notification P01
Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide
Models
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
Subject
Repair
2009-2012 (LC) Dodge Challenger
(LD) Dodge Charger
(LX) Chrysler 300
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).
The engine timing chain guide on about 50,800 of the above vehicles may fracture. A fractured engine timing chain guide could cause the engine timing chain to break. A broken engine timing chain will result in severe engine damage.
The engine timing chain, timing chain tensioner and timing chain guide must be replaced.
Customer Satisfaction Notification P01 Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide Page 2
Part Number Description
CBPRN291AA Engine Timing Chain Package
Each package contains the following components:
Quantity Description
1 Chain, Engine Timing
1 Guide, Engine Timing Chain
1 Tensioner, Engine Timing Chain
1 O-ring, Oil Pick-up Tube
1 Gasket, Engine Timing Cover
NOTE: Order two heater tube O-rings separately listed below for each repair.
Part Number Description
53013736AA O-ring, Heater Tube (order two per vehicle)
Each dealer
to whom vehicles in the recall were assigned will receive enough Engine Timing Chain Packages to service about 5% of those vehicles.

----------

Recall type:

Customer Satisfaction Notification - Customer Satisfaction Notifications are preventive in nature and involve warranty or customer satisfaction issues such as non-safety repairs. Chrysler will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.

You can check if your vehicle is subject to the timing chain issue recall (or any other recall) by visiting the Chrysler website and entering your vehicle's VIN number. Visit: http://www.chrysler.com/en/mobile/webselfservice/

----------

We really want to thank everyone who wrote us, (Pietro), with their timing chain concerns. The engineering team has completed their work and the following statement has been released. If there are any questions, reach out to us on this forum as opposed to sending an email as that will be quicker.

Chrysler Group is launching a customer-service action to bolster timing-chain system durability in certain cars equipped with 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 engines.

The decision follows an extensive investigation to determine the precise issue and appropriate remedy.
The investigation discovered the engine’s fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation technology may cause an adverse interaction with the timing-chain system. (Chrysler Group is unaware of any related injuries or accidents.) As a result, the Company will replace – at no cost to customers – the timing chains, tensioners and guides in certain vehicles built between Aug. 4, 2008 and July 10, 2012.

Affected are certain model-year 2009-2012 Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 full-size sedans, and Dodge Challenger sport coupes. The scope is limited to vehicles equipped with 5-speed automatic transmissions and axle ratios of 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92.

Beginning this month, Chrysler Group will contact affected customers with instructions to schedule service appointments with their dealers.

Chrysler Group greatly appreciates the patience demonstrated by its customers while this issue was under investigation. The Company also values and shares the passion expressed on these pages by customers and fans alike.

Thanks,

DodgeCares
----------

Article: Timing Chain Failure on the Dodge Challenger – Ground Zero

----------

See less See more
#4,896 · (Edited)
I have long feared this "time bomb" inside my engine. Maybe I bought into the hype but it was happening all too frequently in my opinion and was the one blemish on my overall experience with the car.
My sincere thanks to everyone who started this thread, kept it alive, contacted Dodge or the NHTSA and furthered the cause. Last, but by no means least, my sincere condolences to those of you who suffered the injury of a broken timing chain.

#4,899 · (Edited)
I guess the 2013's are ok in their eyes ? I hope mine is ok

Edit: oh ok I see all cars built before Oct '11 , ummm I think my was Nov of 2012 ?

#4,903 · (Edited)
I think in today's complicated world a company's communication around an issue like this is always tricky. Having worked in Sustaining Engineering myself it sometimes takes a while for engineers to realize how a problem will manifest itself. You can't establish a pattern until you have one. For that you need quite some data. Of course, that doesn't help those who had experienced this problem. But coming up with a fix takes time. And since a recall like this costs millions of dollars the company needs to make sure they got it right. All that takes time. I am sure there were a lot of people putting in overtime to get to the bottom of this. It is nice to see how Chrysler is handling this now. Am very thankful for their action. And I am sure the data provided by this thread and folks like raVenX, 19johned53, DesterBum, Hal H and many others was probably quite useful to them, too. Now we get to enjoy our V8 Challengers for years to come. Nothing more fun than to drive your HEMI Challenger down the freeway... keep on trucking! :)

#4,907 ·
Wow... well that's what I get for not keeping up on this thread for the last couple days!

We finally got our 2010 R/T back to the shop this evening so they can replace the lifters tomorrow, and Billy (their shop foreman, and the mechanic who will be doing the work) informed us that Dodge had FINALLY issued the recall for the TC assembly failure just yesterday! I said to myself, "I better get back home and get this info put on the ChallengerTalk thread!" Should have known I'd be "late to the party"!

Although the oil control solenoid isn't technically part of the recall, I know ours was replaced with the new part number when the TC failure repair was done.

Since Billy has to pull the heads in order to replace the lifters, he'll be able to see whether any cylinder wall damage has shown up since the repairs were done 2000 miles ago. Like me, he doesn't understand how only 4 valves could have been replaced by the other dealer if 4 or 5 pistons had impact damage. But he'll be able to look it over carefully.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the recall information link on the Dodge site says the recall was issued "12/2/2014" ? Also, the link for the details of the recall itself isn't working. It links to a PDF file that doesn't exist.

#4,909 ·
BTW, has anyone else noticed that the recall information link on the Dodge site says the recall was issued "12/2/2014" ? Also, the link for the details of the recall itself isn't working. It links to a PDF file that doesn't exist.
That "12/2/2014" probably means Feb 12, 2014. Europeans very often put the day ahead of the month. I am a ham radio operator, and when I get postcards from overseas hams, I see that all the time.

#4,908 ·
Most importantly I want to again publicly thank Mr. Gorlier, Jill Carter, and Mr. Rick Thornton for their communications directly with me in this matter. I know many of us have spoken to various Chrysler representatives, and the clear link in these matters is Mr. Gorlier himself.

So, Mr. Pietro Gorlier... thank you for being as passionate about these vehicles as we are!

#4,913 ·
I haven't had the issue yet (knock on wood) with my '10 R/T Auto... I had contacted Pietro over a month ago prior to the updated news of replacement parts etc being available and being replaced. After my e-mails to him I spoke with Steve on the phone buy only have his cell number. Does anyone have an e-mail for him if he is still even involved, or possible for Jill, if so please send me a PM.... Id like to avoid playing phone tag...

#4,916 ·
Some of you still have some questions. I hope to have more information by this afternoon.

Bert - all the dealers have been notified about this via DealerCONNECT (computer.) The service instructions have also been posted. Whether or not the responsible person at the dealership has communicated this to all employees, I don't know.

Letters to customers will be sent next week.

#4,919 ·
I still have questions and talked to a local dealer yesterday, my lifter noise seems to be coming more often yet still very random as to when it happens along with my MDS cycling on and off rapidly several times and when I mentioned the recall the service guy looked, and said nothing showed up on his system as far as a recall.

while this issue is fresh (and my engine is acting strange) I'm making sure there is not a problem even though I'm supposed to have all the latest technology. finding a solid dealer to address all of these issue is the most important thing now that the "MDS wasn't playing nice with the TC" has been identified. still concerned the lifter bleed down is MDS related, and that the closest dealer to me couldn't find the recall or customer satisfaction notice.

also, DodgeCares.. I'm assuming you will monitor the forum for questions and problems in the future? it would be nice if we had a customer service/satisfaction person keeping us ahead of any future issues.. really appreciate you folks ...

thanks.

#4,918 ·
I ran in to 2 Challenger owners, 1 2010, 1 2011, with auto transmission. One of those 2 was a beautiful red R/T classic. Also spoke with a Charger owner whom is a close friend. All 3 are not on any of the forums, have very low mileage on their cars. They were very surprised to here of the recall. I mentioned to keep an eye out for their notice from Chrysler. Our dealership here in Vacaville Ca. has a very outstanding reputation of taking care of their customers. I believe that the guys their will take care of everyone in a very professional way.

#4,924 ·
Bad news. Just got a call from the mechanic replacing the lifters. After pulling the heads, he thinks it needs a short block. I guess in the 2000 miles since the other dealership did the TC repair, cylinder/piston damage is showing. Not that I'm horribly surprised... but I had at least hoped the other dealer wasn't *completely* incompetent.

Man, my wife is going to be pissed... she already feels like she's leaving one of her kids every time we pull away from the dealership.

#4,925 ·
DodgeCares - for the assistance of others on this forum who've already performed these repairs, can you clarify something? How do they go about getting it recorded in the Chrysler DealerCONNECT system that this action has been satisfied?

I ask, because I just got an email from Jill Carter saying that because the parts identified in the "Recall" ("Customer Satisfaction Action") were already replaced with the correct new parts when our TC repair was performed, we would not need to have it done again....... However in the phone call I had JUST received from the dealership I was told the exact opposite... that in order for the Chrysler system to record that this action had been completed on our car they actually were going to be required to replace them AGAIN (since it was issued AFTER the repairs had already been done).

I'm not concerned for my case, because the car is in the dealer right now having work done, so I'm sure they'll get it recorded correctly. Just asking on behalf of those who won't necessarily need to take their car back in because the work has already been done.

:2:

#4,927 ·
DodgeCares - for the assistance of others on this forum who've already performed these repairs, can you clarify something? How do they go about getting it recorded in the Chrysler DealerCONNECT system that this action has been satisfied?

I ask, because I just got an email from Jill Carter saying that because the parts identified in the "Recall" ("Customer Satisfaction Action") were already replaced with the correct new parts when our TC repair was performed, we would not need to have it done again....... However in the phone call I had JUST received from the dealership I was told the exact opposite... that in order for the Chrysler system to record that this action had been completed on our car they actually were going to be required to replace them AGAIN (since it was issued AFTER the repairs had already been done).

I'm not concerned for my case, because the car is in the dealer right now having work done, so I'm sure they'll get it recorded correctly. Just asking on behalf of those who won't necessarily need to take their car back in because the work has already been done.

:2:
Excellent point - I would assume for those of us that have had the TC changed preventively under warranty and with the help and assistance of Molar ( Jill and Team), that our VIN's would be updated to reflect the Recall. Important for future records.

#4,930 ·
Dodge cares, is there any reason why I can't email my reciept in?

Thanks

Todd

#4,950 ·
You would need to call in and get a document link. Then you could email it in.
Please contact the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403 to get a link.

#4,932 ·
Just got this back today:
I just checked with our engineering team about your specific vehicle (VIN specific). They advised me that your vehicle (and others with the 6.4 L engine) are not under the Customer Service Notification P01. However, if you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to call me at 586-497-2044. Either way I'm going to create a case on your vehicle indicating that you called in asking if your vehicle falls under the customer service notification for timing chain issues. I'm so sorry for the confusion. We are just building the database now which indicates which vehicles fall into CSN . Pam

Its my understanding that the 6.4 uses the same components as the 5.7 Is that not correct???? Has anyone heard of a 6.4 failing

#4,933 ·
Just got this back today:
I just checked with our engineering team about your specific vehicle (VIN specific). They advised me that your vehicle (and others with the 6.4 L engine) are not under the Customer Service Notification P01. However, if you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to call me at 586-497-2044. Either way I'm going to create a case on your vehicle indicating that you called in asking if your vehicle falls under the customer service notification for timing chain issues. I'm so sorry for the confusion. We are just building the database now which indicates which vehicles fall into CSN . Pam

Its my understanding that the 6.4 uses the same components as the 5.7 Is that not correct???? Has anyone heard of a 6.4 failing

yes all the same parts, probably different tuning so they feel its safe. they did not recall any trucks or jeeps either, all the same engine and parts

#4,941 ·
What kind of , if any, consenquences does Chrysler issue to any dealer who intentionally misleads a challenger owner ( FAITHFUL CUSTOMER) about the extent of engine damage caused by a T/C failure in order to save dealer costs OR shop time in fixing the damage of a T/C failure by sending the customer away with less than correct & required repairs ? What about those dealers who KNEW & HAVE sent away challenger owners telling them that they, the challenger owner, did NOT know what they were talking about even after the customer tried to offer PROOF of what they were saying was 100 % true and accurate and that the unresolved T/C issue that was about to happen to them was in fact a VERY REAL DANGER to life & well being when the T/C failure symptoms WERE GOING TO CAUSE & DID CAUSE a complete engine failure right in the middle of a busy freeway with one of the wives of a member here ? These dealers service managers & or dealer management who use their position to try & justify NOT doing the "right" thing, WHAT CAN Chrysler do to dealers guilty of this behavior ? Chrylser says they know of no injuries or deaths directly related to a T/C failure of one of their vehicles & if there WAS, I think the Chrysler team who have stepped up to the plate here and ARE doing the right thing would DO " the right thing " in this instance ! There MAY BE some cases of injury OR worse caused by a T/C caused engine failure but it wasn't investigated deeply enough to reveal that as the cause. The authorities my attribute the vehicle breakdown as just another stalled vehicle caused accident OR there could be other factors the authorities are blaming in error, who knows. There are SOME dealers out there who just refuse to "do the right thing " Is there ANYTHING Chrysler can do to those individual dealerships ? Sorry for getting a little off track here but I am sure others here would like to know the same thing , especially if this HAS happened to them.
Bert

#4,943 ·
Possable Recall Notice

Just got back from vacation and was told by friend that this (RC-P01-14) has been issued for Chargers, Challengers and 300's. Package includes everything to replace timing chain and parts. When I get more info I will post more, if you are attached to a dealership you can get this info its in the computers there.

#4,944 ·
Just got back from vacation and was told by friend that this (RC-P01-14) has been issued for Chargers, Challengers and 300's. Package includes everything to replace timing chain and parts. When I get more info I will post more, if you are attached to a dealership you can get this info its in the computers there.
You're sorta late to the party but thanks! :icon_razz:

#4,945 ·
Just happy something was eventually done, of course i allready had the work performed before there was damage.

#4,949 · (Edited)
My thoughts exactly! Not knowing exactly what is involved, I'd rather they get some practice in.

I just have to get some other Challenger owners in there now. A few weeks ago, I dropped in on a saturday and mentioned to a (sales?) manager (who owns an RT very similar to mine, same year and color, but his is manual) my cracked rocker panel. He said he had never heard of it happening. Hmmm. So we went outside and I showed him. Then, i went over to his RT and sure enough, his are cracked as well! So I point it out to him --- he had not noticed it. Which I understand, it is winter, our cars are dirty. But really, no Challenger owner they have sold to since 2008 has mentioned this issue?

Anyway, I had to come back on a Monday - Friday between 8:00 and 5:30when their Chrysler service guy was there so he could get it started. So that is what I did this week. He also mentioned that he had never heard of the panels cracking. And I'm thinking, I pointed out the other employee's cracked panels, and he knew I was coming back. I'd have thought that the cracked panel would at least come up in water cooler discussion between the employeees.

So apparently I am the first at this dealership to complain about this common defect.

I mentioned the timing belt issue when I was there this week, and the employee also mentioned that he had never heard of it.

So yes, I want to get it fixed, but as I am driving in auto-stick now, I'd rather wait month or two if possible. I expect I'll approach the issue when they call about the rocker panel replacement.

I do like the people at the dealership and the owner, and I expect to have a long relationship with them, but it does seem like spending a bit of time on Challengertalk would keep them better informed and better able to support their customers before and after the sale.

#4,953 · (Edited)
My VIN is included, but the link on the recall page is to a document "http://www.dodge.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/P01.pdf", which doesn't actually exist.

I saw an email that 19johned53 posted the file name as "P01_Timing_Chain.pdf", but that post is now gone?

However with that information I managed to find the document...

This is a very complete 23-page document including step-by-step procedures and photographs for the repair. To my knowledge, the reproduction of this document is consistent with copyright "fair use" exceptions, however please note this is not my website, nor am I reproducing the document itself.

EDIT: Dunno why that link keeps getting rewritten with crap. Here it is in "plain text". You'll have to cut and paste.
www.rippinit.com/pdf/P01_Timing_Chain.pdf

#4,965 ·
My VIN is included, but the link on the recall page is to a document "http://www.dodge.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/P01.pdf", which doesn't actually exist.

I saw an email that 19johned53 posted the file name as "P01_Timing_Chain.pdf", but that post is now gone?

However with that information I managed to find the document...

This is a very complete 23-page document including step-by-step procedures and photographs for the repair. To my knowledge, the reproduction of this document is consistent with copyright "fair use" exceptions, however please note this is not my website, nor am I reproducing the document itself.

EDIT: Dunno why that link keeps getting rewritten with crap. Here it is in "plain text". You'll have to cut and paste.
www.rippinit.com/pdf/P01_Timing_Chain.pdf
Yep, I started a post last night with that pdf. I couldn't get it to link either, kept trying things, and it was just acting goofy???

Can't delete posts, so I changed to a comment. That original post about the PO1 link wasn't up really long, but man, did I feel like a fool.

Glad that I'm not the only one having an issue with the link. LOL

#4,955 ·
Details, please

Extremely sorry you had to join the club. I became member on 11/11/13. Details please on your car, year, transmission, speed you were traveling . . . assume you were in MDS mode. Sorry again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.