Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 111 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1101 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ah, again sorry to hear. Did you call Chrysler's customer service department directly? Might want to ask someone on allpar.com's forum to see what they say...

All Mopar all the time: 2010 Stone White Challenger R/T, 2006 Inferno Red Magnum SRT8, 2009 Journey SE & 2013 Dart Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1102 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Looks like we'll need to update the first post again. This sucks!

Sean
2010 :: Detonator Yellow R/T Classic (28M) Auto :: "More Engine Than Sense!"
MOPAR CAI :: MOPAR cat-back exhaust :: MOPAR hood struts
RPI Stealth Guards :: Yellow #1 pool ball shifter knob
18" Charger split-spoke winter wheels and tires
#1103 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
The 6-speed, being a grand cheaper on top of it all, is getting more attractive every day...
Ya think so?

I have a 2010 with ~ 2500 miles on it for ya.

Every day I get a new skidmark in my underwear just reading these posts. And yes, I'm morbidly subscribed to this thread because I want to see Dodge's ultimate SOLUTION so I can start tearing my brand new engine apart before I become the first six-speed guy to grenade his engine because of a busted timing chain.

Worthless $%&*$#@ POS Dodge.

I should have KNOWN this was going to happen.

Hemi Orange 2010 Challenger R/T - 6-speed
#1104 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Have these timing chain issues been reported on other cars and trucks in the Chrysler lineup? I cannot find evidence of this with the Ram or 300. Am I incorrect? What would make the challenger unique to have this problem?
#1105 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb4450 View Post
Every day for the past several months I have to keep myself from heading down to the dealership to get another Challenger, auto, as a daily driver and ditch my truck and this thread is the only reason keeping me from doing just that. Thought about another 6-speed but what's the point of having two identical driving experiences. How about addressing this someday Dodge? Is it fixed for the 2011 up. Is it not? Not a peep is not comforting. And now this guy, CruzzRR, is going to get slammed for the tab when we know the Diablo didn't cause it, but it's an out for Dodge's responsibility.
Just buy a 2008-2010 SRT8 with the 6.1.
You get a heavy timing chain with no history of failures.You can get it in an automatic and you said you want a different driving experience than your 6 speed RT.
The SRT8 will definately get you a different driving experience.
Buy one certified and you will get 100,000 mile warranty like a new RT.

The best part is because many people thought these would be some kind of collectors item,you can find them all day long with little or no miles on them.

While this does not solve the RT issue,it does not have to ruin the experience of owning a Challenger.There are worse things than being forced to buy an SRT8.

I would not buy a 6 speed RT either with that bicycle timing chain until there is a fix.It can't last much longer judging by the size of it.
#1106 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,162 Times in 705 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
truly how many vehicles are really affected, 25/30 ok lets make it 100, no lets make it 1000 out of a million plus, why get so upset over this, more likely to get hit by lightning, now if you have a 3.6L, thats a different story, at least 6 vehicles in our shop right now with a cylinder head issue,

is there an issue, maybe, but the percentage even at 1000 failures is less than .1 of 1 percent.......every 5.7L and 6.4L hemis built from job 1, 2009 has the same set up......

Luke

ps i really feel for the guys and dolls that may be affected, however between my wife, myself and my daughter and son inlaw we have 3 5.7L hemis in the family, not including my Jeep...

THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH US
WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD!!!!!!
PLEASE VISIT
WWW.STEVEWHITEPARTS.COM
FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!
facebook.com/stevewhiteparts1
828-324-4410
800-779-3634
#1107 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Not sure why, after all these months, you're still so interested in playing down the legitimate problems the people in this thread have had. Denial doesn't help anyone find a resolution, nor does it help anyone nervous about buying a Challenger because of potential timing chain issues. It's a legitimate concern.

Personally knowing people that have had this problem, sometimes multiple times, changes your perspective.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Hydro Blue sexiness
RIP 11/2/14 - 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

#1108 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,162 Times in 705 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i normally stay away from this thread, and from now on will stay away from it
isnt worth my time or effort, no one cares about the truth anyway

ask every dealer in the US about 3.6L cylinder heads and they will tell you, yup got a couple of those in the shop, hell we have 6 in the shop right now!!!!
ask about timing chains,
they will look at you like a deer in the headlights

Luke
#1109 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Glad to know you know the truth and everyone with issues is delusional...honestly, it's no wonder this issue has no resolution yet. The people in positions to help have no interest in trying to find out what's going on. Why? I don't know.

This is pretty similar to the brake problems with the 2008+ Grand Caravans that also aren't being handled properly. I know you said you were going to stay out of this thread, but I'd be interested in hearing your take on those brake problems. If you say "What brake problems?" then that's all I need to know.
#1110 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
[...]no one cares about the truth anyway[...]
Well, I do and I trust you, Luke. But I don't have a Challenger yet and I'm compelled to research it before I'm able to buy (about 2 months left). And the reason why I'm so cautious and gullible about every little issue is my experience with the Charger, a very similar vehicle I bought in confidence as a CPO with low miles: almost every problem that came up online showed up on my car. Some were acknowledged and fixed by Chrysler (that stupid pink BTSI part); other weren't. Redardless, the common pattern I saw on Charger forums is that most owners were in denial and kept repeating as a mantra, "drive it like you stole it - it's a tank", while blaming the victims for exaggerating or abusing their cars (are they "tanks" or not? ).

Statistical anomaly takes on a different meaning when it happens to you, as all those affected here (some several times!) know all too well. And warranties have deductibles while Dodge rarely pays for rentals, which really makes it feel like a roll of the dice when you buy a car as a daily driver.
In spite of all, I'm personally bent on not turning my back on Dodge (it's not like GM or Ford are so much better anyway) as I really like the products. But I do take everything I read on CT very seriously while trying to stay positive and realistic. A timing chain failure event is not something you brush off as minor inconvenience, like the cracking rocker claddings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I have so much fun driving to and from work that the actual speed doesn't matter that much (Can't afford tickets anyway). Unless you are tracking your car on a regular basis, does it really matter?

Last edited by USRWDV8; 09-04-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure , problems , timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode