Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 123 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Probably the first questions would be:

1. Was the vehicle stock when it happened?
2. Does the vehicle have any mods?
3. What oil is being used and when was it last changed?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by ShockwaveRider View Post

I'd guess TC failure will come in around 50K in my six-speed car, if I'm lucky. I need this worry like I need a hole in the head.
I'm going to wait and see if any failures show up in 6-speed Challengers. Until then, I'm keeping my car (and my fingers crossed).
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by racindemon View Post
2011 that's not good. Let it begin, 392s are not far behind
Exactly right. No difference between the 5.7L and the 6.4L engines. They both use the exact same set up, i.e., same MDS, timing chain and tensioner.

Based on the average annual miles driven by most people (15,000 miles), I figured we would be well into the first part of 2013 before we'd start seeing reports of the 2011 5.7L and 6.4L begin rolling in.

Just waiting for the first 392 report to come in now.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
I'd guess TC failure will come in around 50K in my six-speed car, if I'm lucky. I need this worry like I need a hole in the head.

Probably time to trade this POS in on a truck, like I should have bought in the first place.

And when I DO trade it in on a truck, I want to see a timing chain from the engine FIRST.
There's no reason to think there will be a failure with a 6-speed car, there have been zero reports of TC failure with them. It's only been with autos with MDS.
- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by cannonballcobb View Post
I'm going to wait and see if any failures show up in 6-speed Challengers. Until then, I'm keeping my car (and my fingers crossed).
I have a 400 mile round-trip I need to do this weekend. Should be a beautiful, sunny, warm and dry late summer / early autumn weekend in northeastern Wisconsin. Just the kind of weekend you'd like to take your cool Hemi Orange retro-musclecar for a spin with some Rammstein cranking on the tunebox.

You know, like I had planned all along.

I shouldn't have to worry about a goddam busted timing chain.

NONE of us should have to worry about a goddam busted timing chain.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
There's no reason to think there will be a failure with a 6-speed car, there have been zero reports of TC failure with them. It's only been with autos with MDS.
The 5.7L TC is still weak and spindly looking.

Oddly, so is the OEM TC for my 5.3L GMC truck motor (with 136K on it).
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM

I have a 400 mile round-trip I need to do this weekend. Should be a beautiful, sunny, warm and dry late summer / early autumn weekend in northeastern Wisconsin. Just the kind of weekend you'd like to take your cool Hemi Orange retro-musclecar for a spin with some Rammstein cranking on the tunebox.

You know, like I had planned all along.

I shouldn't have to worry about a goddam busted timing chain.

NONE of us should have to worry about a goddam busted timing chain.
Agreed, but if you live your life waiting for something that hasn't happened to any 6-speed cars then you're going to be miserable. Likewise, if you have an auto you'll still be miserable because this problem isn't happening to most owners, only a small percentage of them.

Does it suck? Yup.

I'm not going to live my life based on "what if" scenarios, that's no way to live. I am happy that I have a 6-speed, I'm not worried one bit about busting a timing chain. Even if one person with a 6-speed had a chain break that still wouldn't stop me.

Your choice. Keep it and enjoy it or get something else and not have to worry about the TC (No promises that whatever else you buy won't have some other problem). Keeping it and worrying about a problem that hasn't been documented yet just isn't something I'd do.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM

The 5.7L TC is still weak and spindly looking.
Can't judge a book by its cover. Pretty sure I've read somewhere that the revised TC in our engines is actually stronger than the previous one even though it looks like it shouldn't be.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 PM

I'm not going to "worry" about the TC issue either, and I've got the automatic that's just hit 24k. I'll fight that fire when it happens.

Last week I did a 2k Colorado "road trip", and it was the most fun trip that I've taken. The Challenger is just such a great cruiser, and going through the Rockies in it was a blast.

I wouldn't want a breakdown there, but there could be worse areas to "get stuck in" LOL

I'm going to enjoy this car to the end

Pietro wants to know if you have failures/issues/questions about your timing chain: pietro.gorlier@chrysler.com

Updated parts
53022316AC: timing chain
53022243AF: cam sprocket
53022317AC: crank sprocket
4893429AA: TC guide
53022338AB: oil control solenoid
53022115AH: TC tensioner
Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 PM

Statistically these numbers are still too low to draw any conclusions (for us) yet anyway. Yes, there seems to be a common theme here: MDS (keep in mind though that MDS worked fine in the first gen HEMIs). I still believe most of us (other than maybe DesertBum who has done his own repair) have enough information that goes beyond anything but speculation. Hopefully Chrysler though has more info by now and is looking into this. These kind of investigations need time. The last thing you want to do is make things worth with a fix that wasn't... And I agree with Yahooligan: Can't judge a book by its cover.

Last edited by hmk123; 09-12-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.