Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 14 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I haven't seen this mentioned. What about the variable cam timing on the auto? That's hooked directly to the gear and the chain and could cause all kinds of problems, and it would explain why it's happening to the autos. I believe this is a British made part and I would like to know have they had any problems before or am I just barking up the wrong tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by GOMO View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned. What about the variable cam timing on the auto? That's hooked directly to the gear and the chain and could cause all kinds of problems, and it would explain why it's happening to the autos. I believe this is a British made part and I would like to know have they had any problems before or am I just barking up the wrong tree?
The 6 speeds have variable valve timing too

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Mods:
Middle Bottle Mufflers Deleted
DRLs On
MOPAR Functional Hood Scoops
BT Catch Can
Cervinis Ram Air
DMH Electric Cutouts
MOPAR Shifter
180* Tstat
Flowmaster Super 44s
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by mjb4450 View Post
Check Engine Light
Duh! Thanks, I should've known it!

2014 Challenger R/T
6-Speed
Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl
Born 10/23/2013
Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
when you google broken timing chain hemi, the only thing you find is links to challengertalk or forum
nothing else to speak off
Luke

oh **** Landy's 484 cube hemi with a broken timing chain, not much of anything else
I've done that, and searched using all sorts of combinations, and I'm coming up with nothing much either.

I'm a numbers guy too, and I have to honestly think that this issue is not a huge failure problem, like huge in that most or all Hemi's will eventually fail, or some high percentage rate will fail.

There's a lot of other Chrysler products other than the Challenger, that have the MDS system too, and are probably racking up more miles than the average Challenger owner. Failures of these others just don't seem to be showing up on the net.........for whatever reason.

Does this make owners that have had the problem feel better? I'm sure not. I would be upset too, very upset.

I guess for me anyways, I feel that it may be more of an "isolated" type problem, and not an "inherent" problem with the MDS 5.7's.

Chain/tensioner assemblies that have every part in tolerance, with all part materials "in spec" , and correctly assembled, may not be failing. But, just one or two pieces of this assembly, out of tolerance or spec will fail in time.

I'm not a nervous wreck about this, but I hate to hear about forum members having this failure, and then wondering of the why, and possibly when, this could happen to me.

I just hope that Chrysler is keeping an eye on this, and counting the number of failures that are coming in. Time will tell as more folks rack up more miles.

I'm going to keep on driving with MDS as usual, enjoying the car, and what's going to happen, or not happen, will happen.

I'm heading out for a good cruise in a few minutes. Hope I don't hear a "pop" and then............................ LOL

Later

Pietro wants to know if you have failures/issues/questions about your timing chain: pietro.gorlier@chrysler.com

Updated parts
53022316AC: timing chain
53022243AF: cam sprocket
53022317AC: crank sprocket
4893429AA: TC guide
53022338AB: oil control solenoid
53022115AH: TC tensioner
Old 04-21-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by rdockery_3 View Post
The 6 speeds have variable valve timing too

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Is this new? Only the autos come with Variable Cam Timing as far as I know.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (15)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by GOMO View Post
Is this new? Only the autos come with Variable Cam Timing as far as I know.
Only the automatic cars have the MDS (cylinder shut down on 4 cylinders in easy cruise mode). Both automatic and manual cars have the variable cam timing.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:53 AM

Photos: (3)
My RT has been gutted. I now have pictures of my bent valves which they are going to replace. The heads are on the work bench awaiting new valves and head kit(this is on back order and they are checking with other dealers for availability). When I looked in the engine compartment it reminded me of the movie Se7en. Man-O-man. And she is sooooo dirty. Only one thing to do...listen to some Iron Maiden....should make me feel better.

P.S.
There was no "pop", no warning, just total engine failure.

Last edited by fupduk2; 04-22-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by fupduk2 View Post
My RT has been gutted. I now have pictures of my bent valves which they are going to replace. The heads are on the work bench awaiting new valves and head kit(this is on back order and they are checking with other dealers for availability). When I looked in the engine compartment it reminded me of the movie Se7en. Man-O-man. And she is sooooo dirty. Only one thing to do...listen to some Iron Maiden....should make me feel better.

P.S.
There was no "pop", no warning, just total engine failure.
I know this doesn't happen to every Challenger with an automatic tranny, but reading about these failures makes me sick. In my opinion, a timing chain failure should not happen. It seems to me the chain is too weak for the MDS system and they should all be replaced. Something else is the resale value of a Challenger with an automatic vs. a six speed car. After reading this thread I know what direction I would go.

Last edited by 69 SIX PACK ROADRUNNER; 04-23-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 AM

Are all of the instances of timing chains breaking listed above on stock or modified engines?
QuickRT - 2010 R/T Classic, PCP, 6 speed 27M package, 2011 392 Front Spoiler, Original R/T Badging rear spoiler / front quarters, Mopar T/A 6 pack Hood, Custom Painted engine cover, Air Hammer Carbon Fiber cold air, SRT8 Springs, Track Pack w/3:92 gears, Diablo Sport 93 CAI tune, Mopar split exhaust tips, skip shift eliminator, billet tech bits, Mopar Hood Struts, Mopar Locking Lug-Nuts, High option car, Swift Performance hide a plate remote front license plate holder
Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 AM

My car is totally stock, absolutely no modifications, except tinted windows. I don't think the tinted windows affected the timing chain, but I can't be 100% sure.
Automatic
Plum Crazy Purple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.