Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 18 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My chain broke back in December of 2011. Mine is a 2010 RT had 31,000 miles on it at the time and is an automatic. I will again tell you that I had never been hard on the car, drove it daily about 100 miles to and from work. No modifications and completely stock. 90% of the driving is on the interstate at 70-75 mph. When I first got the car I did notice that there was a drastic lag in the engine when it was in eco mode and I gave it the gas really hard. The lag was usually 2-3 seconds and then the car would just take off. When my chain broke I was driving at 70mph as i was just passing a known hiding spot for police and usually after this spot there is a 2-3 mile stretch of highway where there are no entrance ramps or exits and no other hiding spots so I usually get into the engine at this point and accelerate for 30-45 seconds getting the car to about 100 before backing off. Don't do it everyday but 2-3 days per week. Thsi time when I did this the car stuttered then quite. I coasted and tried to restart the car but no luck. Had the car towed and found out 4 days later the timing chain had failed. They only rebuilt the heads and put the engine back together. Used 2 quarts of oil in 800 miles after rebuild and no oil on the driveway or even on the engine. Topped the oil off at dealership drove car for another 1000 miles down almost 2 quarts again. New dealership and they get a short block approved. Takes over 3 weeks to get the motor rebuilt and in the mean time I am driving a loaner car, or so I thought. Go back to get my car and the dealership hands me a rental bill for the "loaner" for nearly $700.00, I argue and of course don't pay it. The car goes through another 1 1/2 quarts of oil after 1,200 miles. When the redide my car they repalced the mds system as they noted the same lag problems I had noticed. Now that I have had the car back a few months it still lags and now when I hit 78-79 nmph I get a strange humming noise from it, almost like the harmonic balancer isn't working right. The bottom line is it is still using oil and I am just waiting for the engine to fail again, I know it will, and then I will do the lemon law on the piece of crap. Since I bought the car in Novemember of 2010 it has been in the shop for almost 2 1/2 months of total time. I have had it in there 3 times for over 3 weeks alone. This ius positively my last Chrysler product ever as soon as I can dump this thing without losing my ass I will get rid of it and never look back. Love the styling hate the workmanship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
every 5.7, 6.1 & 6.4 from 2009 thru 2012, car, truck & jeep uses the same chain with mds or without
LukeV
Odd I thought the 6.1 used the same 5.7 style setup 2002 to 2008.
Tensioner/guide plate assembly and pre 2009 heavy chain.
Kit 05037579AB
Tensioner 05037593AB

Oh well I thought 2009 5.7 and 2011 6.4 were the only same types
Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Bacdoc11 I feel for you.
Doing highway driving like you do is whats best for a car and something stupid like a timing chain which should outlast everything else on the car breaks so damn early.
Don't let Dodge win take it back every time and complain if your not happy with the car.
Did you ever drive in tapshift or always left in in drive?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by bacdoc11 View Post
My chain broke back in December of 2011. Mine is a 2010 RT had 31,000 miles on it at the time and is an automatic. I will again tell you that I had never been hard on the car, drove it daily about 100 miles to and from work. No modifications and completely stock. 90% of the driving is on the interstate at 70-75 mph. When I first got the car I did notice that there was a drastic lag in the engine when it was in eco mode and I gave it the gas really hard. The lag was usually 2-3 seconds and then the car would just take off. When my chain broke I was driving at 70mph as i was just passing a known hiding spot for police and usually after this spot there is a 2-3 mile stretch of highway where there are no entrance ramps or exits and no other hiding spots so I usually get into the engine at this point and accelerate for 30-45 seconds getting the car to about 100 before backing off. Don't do it everyday but 2-3 days per week. Thsi time when I did this the car stuttered then quite. I coasted and tried to restart the car but no luck. Had the car towed and found out 4 days later the timing chain had failed. They only rebuilt the heads and put the engine back together. Used 2 quarts of oil in 800 miles after rebuild and no oil on the driveway or even on the engine. Topped the oil off at dealership drove car for another 1000 miles down almost 2 quarts again. New dealership and they get a short block approved. Takes over 3 weeks to get the motor rebuilt and in the mean time I am driving a loaner car, or so I thought. Go back to get my car and the dealership hands me a rental bill for the "loaner" for nearly $700.00, I argue and of course don't pay it. The car goes through another 1 1/2 quarts of oil after 1,200 miles. When the redide my car they repalced the mds system as they noted the same lag problems I had noticed. Now that I have had the car back a few months it still lags and now when I hit 78-79 nmph I get a strange humming noise from it, almost like the harmonic balancer isn't working right. The bottom line is it is still using oil and I am just waiting for the engine to fail again, I know it will, and then I will do the lemon law on the piece of crap. Since I bought the car in Novemember of 2010 it has been in the shop for almost 2 1/2 months of total time. I have had it in there 3 times for over 3 weeks alone. This ius positively my last Chrysler product ever as soon as I can dump this thing without losing my ass I will get rid of it and never look back. Love the styling had the workmanship.
"As soon as I can dump this thing without losing my ass I will get rid of it and never look back".

This is the problem. It's no longer just a chain breakage issue, it's now a car value issue. Who, after reading this thread, would risk buying a Challenger with an automatic transmission? Chrysler should replace the chain, with a heavy duty chain (if there is such a thing) and fix it on all auto Challengers. Do a total recall.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Photos: (10)
Not sure if this is related to the chain breakage, but a friend here with little over 50k on an early '10 R/T has hers in shop for excessive oil usage, 4qrts in 3k miles. They first tried to say a stuck PCV valve was doing it, but she "pressed" the techs that her mechanic friends ( US) were saying hogwash to that. So they did a leak down test, found an "exploded" sparkplug in #7 cylindar, and removed the head and was appearant that that cylindar had been gobbling oil. They told her yesterday that she was getting a new motor under power train warranty and it's an auto trans car. Another friend just sent me a PM here a day earlier, said that his noisy lifter had turned out to be a broken headbolt, can't remember such tranny he has tho, sorry.
First 09 sold in DFW, 08/30/08 BB-SE/G TRADED for Sickr PCP, 10 PCP R/T 6-Spd 7/5/10, Dream Since Teens! Mods; Mopar strutbrace, CAI, Borla ATAK, Custom Raptor SL, Moroso CC, SSE, Hurst w/70's mod, BR sequentials, Amber/Red sw/LEDs, Hotchkis Swys, r-Police/Spohn,R1 Slots/CentricPads-all, SXHood, DCS pins, Sickr rear/delete w/6x9s&12"sub, Boss 338s f 235/50/18, r 275/40/20ZR Motivos.
"TexasOutlawChallengers-ChallengerJam"
Studies show; PCP is highly ADDICTIVE in 6-speed form!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Banned

Thank goodness Im getting a manual. Now if I could just avoid the mystery dents by having a sunroof, Ill be good to go!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by RoostKing View Post
Thank goodness Im getting a manual. Now if I could just avoid the mystery dents by having a sunroof, Ill be good to go!

Your best bet would be to make it a convertible.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Well if this is in fact related to MDS, then I'm glad my exhaust tone sounds like ass with different exhaust when running with MDS activated. It's for that very reason that I always run with autostick in the city and on the highway to shut that thing off. Even with a 7 year warranty I'll deal with the extra fuel costs over the potential for engine failure, warranteed or not. We'll see how this develops over the next 5 years and decide if I want to jump back to the GM camp.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 PM

I spoke with a friend over the weekend who has a 2010 R/T automatic with MDS. He told me at 35,000 miles the timing chain broke at 75mph on the freeway with the cruise on. He uses his car for daily commuting and the motor is stock. Seems like this is more of a problem than dodge wants to admit. Does anyone know of this happening on a manual transmission / non-mds car?
QuickRT - 2010 R/T Classic, PCP, 6 speed 27M package, 2011 392 Front Spoiler, Original R/T Badging rear spoiler / front quarters, Mopar T/A 6 pack Hood, Custom Painted engine cover, Air Hammer Carbon Fiber cold air, SRT8 Springs, Track Pack w/3:92 gears, Diablo Sport 93 CAI tune, Mopar split exhaust tips, skip shift eliminator, billet tech bits, Mopar Hood Struts, Mopar Locking Lug-Nuts, High option car, Swift Performance hide a plate remote front license plate holder
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Originally Posted by quickrt View Post
Seems like this is more of a problem than dodge wants to admit.
Until this hits Fox News or the NHTSA gets wind of it through owner complaints and demands something be done, then it's a non-issue. As far as mother Mopar and its bean counters are concerned, it's simply the cost of doing business. Shyt happens. They themselves won't admit to there being a problem....that would just be dumb. Can you imagine the cost of replacing the timing chain/tensioner in 10s of thousands of cars? What benefit would a company gain when advertising they have an inferior product ??? It's not like there's thousands of engines grenading at this time. They are hoping this happens after the warrantees are up and if it happens to a few cars before then...... oh well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Noisy engine | - »