Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I would think, if this was a widespread issue, we would have heard other Challenger owners speaking up. One member mentions he's read a number of reports of timing chains breaking, one thinks he remembers reading a thread about it in the past and one other member experiences a failure. Those two events do not make it anywhere near a widespread issue, in my book.

I visit three different forums that cater to late Model MOPAR's and Challengers specifically.. Haven't seen this discussed before on those either. Not they aren't happening, just doesn't fit the widespread definition in my book.

Just sayin....

Mike
Solo Performance Cat Back Exhaust
Mr Norms Hood Pins
Bully Cold Air Intake
3G Customz covers - body color
Body color calipers

Last edited by Walaby; 12-07-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 06:21 AM

Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2010 Challenger - Timing Chain Breaks...

Hey guys.. I found this forum because I was searching after the timing chain on my 2010 Challenger (22,600 miles) with a 5.7 Hemi broke while traveling at around 75 mph on the interstate two days ago. We coasted over to the emergency lane and I had to get it towed to a dealer... They are tearing it down today. I agree with most of the comments that this might not be a "wide-spread" problem but I think most intelligent people would agree that the timing chain should not be breaking at these low mileages. My engine is unmodified except for a mopar cold air intake. I bought this car to cruise in. We don't race it. I have to say, it really sucks to see your car on the back of a tow truck....
Old 12-19-2011, 06:27 AM
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
there is a reason why there is a garage behind every dealer in the world

Luke
WWW.STEVEWHITEPARTS.COM
FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!
facebook.com/stevewhiteparts1
828-324-4410
800-779-3634
Old 12-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
3 posts to this thread in under a month, all about the timing chain breaking while cruising down the road at roughly the same mileage...and people are saying "Hey, crap happens."

Sorry, but no. This is a major component failure. Power window button stops working, no big deal. They're cheap parts. Random things on random cars failing, typical.

The SAME issue on MULTIPLE vehicles with nearly the SAME mileage is not "Hey, crap happens." It's "Hey, maybe there are some defective parts or someone/something on the assembly line isn't doing installs correctly here and there."

Rear-end whine - Crap happens? No
Door handles failing - Crap happens? No
6-speeds getting stuck in gear - Crap happens? No

When the same component has failed on multiple cars it's not just a random, crap happens problem. The timing chain is a major component, not some cheap plastic part that people should be OK with it failing so soon, if at all.

Am I saying there should be a recall? No, but I think people should be willing to acknowledge that there are people out there having the same problem with timing chain related engine failures instead of blowing it off like they modded their cars or drove them wrong and they got what they deserved. That's not cool.
- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

Last edited by Yahooligan; 12-19-2011 at 10:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yahooligan For This Useful Post:
USRWDV8 (11-25-2013)
Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
3 posts to this thread in under a month, all about the timing chain breaking while cruising down the road at roughly the same mileage...and people are saying "Hey, crap happens."

Sorry, but no. This is a major component failure. Power window button stops working, no big deal. They're cheap parts. Random things on random cars failing, typical.

The SAME issue on MULTIPLE vehicles with nearly the SAME mileage is not "Hey, crap happens." It's "Hey, maybe there are some defective parts or someone/something on the assembly line isn't doing installs correctly here and there."

Rear-end whine - Crap happens? No
Door handles failing - Crap happens? No
6-speeds getting stuck in gear - Crap happens? No

When the same component has failed on multiple cars it's not just a random, crap happens problem. The timing chain is a major component, not some cheap plastic part that people should be OK with it failing so soon, if at all.

Am I saying there should be a recall? No, but I think people should be willing to acknowledge that there are people out there having the same problem with timing chain related engine failures instead of blowing it off like they modded their cars or drove them wrong and they got what they deserved. That's not cool.
not blowing anything off, in 5 years that i have been here never seen a broken timing chain, never!!!!!!
the 5.7L found in the Challenger is the same engine found in the Ram, Charger, 300 & Grand Cherokee, not that many Challengers around, but that engine is out there in large quantities, last time i spoke to my field service engineer, questioned him regarding timing chain failure, he stated never even heard of one failing, does it happen probably, but 3 out of several million engines, does it matter....nope
all you have to do is talk to any tech in a large dealership, he'll tell you in a hurry the issues we have....the new gen hemi's are kick ass engines, any engine pushed to the limit can and will break, doesnt necessarily make it a bad engine...

Luke
Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
not blowing anything off, in 5 years that i have been here never seen a broken timing chain, never!!!!!!
the 5.7L found in the Challenger is the same engine found in the Ram, Charger, 300 & Grand Cherokee, not that many Challengers around, but that engine is out there in large quantities, last time i spoke to my field service engineer, questioned him regarding timing chain failure, he stated never even heard of one failing, does it happen probably, but 3 out of several million engines, does it matter....nope
Nobody said it was only 3 that failed. I find it strange that 3 people found and posted to this thread with the same problem in less than a month. If every owner of a HEMI was on this forum and posted and there were only 3 with problems that would be one thing...but 3 people out of a small percentage of the market, represented by the forum, isn't a statistic anyone can go by...other than there ARE people seeking out others that had the same problem.

Am I worried? No. My Ram hasn't had any problems with the DPF plugging up or the turbo getting stuck, does that mean the multitude of people that have are just subject to the "Bummer, crap happens" attitude? I appreciate that you're here and have as well as provide a lot of insight into what's going on, but on the flip side I think you're being too quick to shrug this off as a random problem simply because you haven't seen it personally. I've never seen a tornado here in southern California, but I know they've happened. This timing chain problem is too coincidental to be a random, crap happens problem.

all you have to do is talk to any tech in a large dealership, he'll tell you in a hurry the issues we have....the new gen hemi's are kick ass engines, any engine pushed to the limit can and will break, doesnt necessarily make it a bad engine...

Luke
I agree, the HEMI is an awesome engine. However, having worked at a shop that did warranty work for a German auto maker, I can also tell you that a lot of common problems can be regional. Being the only shop in northern Arizona to provide warranty work, we were pretty busy. One of the most common problems we'd see were timing belt failures before they were supposed to be replaced at 60k miles. We literally had a continuous pile of heads sitting out back waiting to be shipped back to the manufacturer. Now, had you asked a large shop in another region that wasn't in a hot, dry area if they see a lot of premature timing belt failures the answer would be no.

Of course, these timing chain failures aren't a regional problem but my point is simply that you can't take a sampling of one or two shops, or one region, and apply your findings to everyone. If you were in Phoenix and never saw problems with the keyless door handles failing because it never rained, would you be quick to state there's no problem and they must be isolated and not a real problem? I'd hope not.

There are 3 documented problems in this thread alone in less than a month. I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on simply being a random problem or due to "operator error" because the engine was pushed too hard. That's rather presumptuous on your part and those impacted that haven't driven their car hard might take offense to such a statement, or even feel like you're sounding like a "typical dealer" that's "part of the problem."

Our local dealer tried to pull the same thing on my wife and I about the brakes on her Caravan. "Nobody else is having these problems, you must not be driving properly." Awesome way to make someone's blood boil, especially when the problem is well documented.

Like I said, I'm not saying this is a widespread problem, but CLEARLY there are people having failures and that simply needs to be acknowledged and not blown off as random or customer fault.

Would you consider it random of 3 people posted on here within a month that said their left front wheel fell off? That's a pretty major thing to happen, and pretty specific to be random, don't you think?

Last edited by Yahooligan; 12-19-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Supporting Vendor

timing chain total weekly demand for 5.7L is 18, in the real world that is a totally insignificant number....considering the number of years of fitment and the range of fitment
Luke
Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

to put this in perspective, how many se owners with 3.5L have had an issue with rocker shafts or upper valve train noise, part fits 2 years, weekly demand is 759, now there is an issue,.....i dont see any 3.5L Challenger owners complaining about it
Luke
Old 12-19-2011, 12:04 PM

timing chain total weekly demand for 5.7L is 18, in the real world that is a totally insignificant number....considering the number of years of fitment and the range of fitment
Luke
Curious what the total weekly demand is for, say, crankshafts or other major hard parts. Maybe blocks as well. The timing chain numbers may be statistically insignificant for install base, but it truly isn't a part that should need to be replaced frequently. If there are nearly-equal numbers of cranks and blocks being ordered then I'd say there's no abnormal spike in demand, however if the demand for other hard parts is much lower then this does stand out as a potential problem, though on a much smaller scale.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 PM

to put this in perspective, how many se owners with 3.5L have had an issue with rocker shafts or upper valve train noise, part fits 2 years, weekly demand is 759, now there is an issue,.....i dont see any 3.5L Challenger owners complaining about it
Luke
Can't use forums as the basis for the majority of owners, we are but a small fraction of the owners out there. Using any forum statistics and applying them to the entire install base is using flawed data. Clearly the fact that "nobody" on here is complaining about it is not proof that there's no problem. You obviously know it's a problem, yet now you're saying that nobody is complaining about it on here...

So no complaints and there's a known problem...
But people complain and it's not a problem...

Again, all I'm saying is that the attitude of "I haven't seen it so it must not be a problem." doesn't help anyone and it certainly doesn't help the people reporting their problems feel like those that are in a position to help care about them or the problem.

The issue I have here is about attitude, not the numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yahooligan For This Useful Post:
72/340 (10-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.