Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 214 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#2131 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ike, you bring up some very good points...

Everyone ever wonder why we all work 10+ hours a day? Because we as consumers demand everything to be inexpensive, on-time and perfect. Everyone who makes a mistake is an idiot. Everyone on the other end of the phone line has to always be courteous. Remember, we are all just human. And it is us who work in these places.

Let's say they did come out with a revised part and did not do a recall but extended the warranty. I think (even though this is hard to swallow) I would probably pay for the replacement with the new part myself because I just don't want this kind of failure. Even if they repair it later on their dime.

Yeah, I could jump up and down and "demand" a perfect product. At the end of the day, with this Challenger R/T I still got an amazing car for the money I spent. Even today I do not see anything else like it on the road and it is a joy everytime I drive this car!

And I am not going to say I will never buy another Mopar again because of this (of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and action). So far the Mopars I have had have been very reliable. My neighbor is on his second BMW 7 series. Both needed a new transmission at 50k miles. It is all relative. And no, I am not saying that I wouldn't be mad if this happened to me. But it is not all just black and white...

Just my two cents...

All Mopar all the time: 2010 Stone White Challenger R/T, 2006 Inferno Red Magnum SRT8, 2009 Journey SE & 2013 Dart Limited

Last edited by hmk123; 12-05-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2132 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmk123 View Post
Ike, you bring up some very good points...

Everyone ever wonder why we all work 10+ hours a day? Because we as consumers demand everything to be inexpensive, on-time and perfect. Everyone who makes a mistake is an idiot. Everyone on the other end of the phone line has to always be courteous. Remember, we are all just human. And it is us who work in these places.

Let's say they did come out with a revised part and did not do a recall but extended the warranty. I think (even though this is hard to swallow) I would probably pay for the replacement with the new part myself because I just don't want this kind of failure. Even if they repair it later on their dime.

Yeah, I could jump up and down and "demand" a perfect product. At the end of the day, with this Challenger R/T I still got an amazing car for the money I spent. Even today I do not see anything else like it on the road and it is a joy everytime I drive this car!

And I am not going to say I will never buy another Mopar again because of this (of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and action). So far the Mopars I have had have been very reliable. My neighbor is on his second BMW 7 series. Both needed a new transmission at 50k miles. It is all relative. And no, I am not saying that I wouldn't be mad if this happened to me. But it is not all just black and white...

Just my two cents...
The problem is...this isn't some nickel and dime type of issue. When the timing chain goes, it results in CATOSTROPHIC engine damage which needs to be rebuilt. And rebuilt by a dealer no less, that usually results in an engine that will never be the same as from the factory.

2010 Challenger RT auto
K&N CAI
Zoomers cat-back exhaust
Custom painted hood and deck stripes
#2133 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 PM

I am only trying to get people to think about this, look around at all the products you come into contact with daily and see the disaters out there. I am in the aerospace industry where if things like this happen, people die. Unfortumately it does happen, I do not want to start listing repeated aircraft parts failures but there have been many documented cases over the years.

I agree one is to many but it is a machine built by humans and these things happen.
Be very thankful you can coast to the side of the road and stop. Yes some engineer designed it a bit to weak, possibly, but I am sure none of us ever made a mistake at work which cost our company money.

2007 dodge charger Sublime 0781/1500
2010 Furious Fuchsia RT
#2134 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
The problem is...this isn't some nickel and dime type of issue. When the timing chain goes, it results in CATOSTROPHIC engine damage which needs to be rebuilt. And rebuilt by a dealer no less, that usually results in an engine that will never be the same as from the factory.
I totally agree... that is why I would pay for a replacement job if a new part was available. I would sleep better at night. I totally understand that this a tough one for most of us since it easily costs over $1000.

Don't get me wrong, ideally there will be a fix available and a recall coming. Hopefully sooner than later.
#2135 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
This is disturbing

I just talked to the service rep at the dealer I frequent and he says he had not heard of this problem at all. This disturbs me to no end. I asked him to check into it since I drive a 2010 auto and rarely take it out of Auto MDS. I am thinking I will now not be using MDS for the forseeable future. Mine has 36,700 miles on it now and I don't want this kind of surprise. Any sense of whether Chrysler is going to recall for a new chain and/or tensioner?
#2136 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Is this a small or large dealer, do they sell many challengers? Having not seen the problem may just be a matter of luck even if this is a mid-medium large size dealer they may only sell 10-20 automatic R/T challengers per year, and this problem happens to a few percent when they reach 30,000 miles or so. Of Course the big unknown is how many does it happen to by 100,000 miles.

2010 Plum Crazy SRT8 with Manual Transmission-------

Mods list: K&N Typhoon CAI, Skip Shift Eliminator , Petty Strut Tower Brace, Diablo Predator 91CAI tune, License Plate backup camera with Lockpick V2, mini spare tire and adapter, Moroso Catch Can, some BT bling, 3rd brake pulser, Larry's mod Hurst shifter, coming soon Web Electric Sequential tail lights and LED under door lights

Last edited by Isaac-1; 12-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.
#2137 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime 781 View Post
I am only trying to get people to think about this, look around at all the products you come into contact with daily and see the disaters out there. I am in the aerospace industry where if things like this happen, people die. Unfortumately it does happen, I do not want to start listing repeated aircraft parts failures but there have been many documented cases over the years.

I agree one is to many but it is a machine built by humans and these things happen.
Be very thankful you can coast to the side of the road and stop. Yes some engineer designed it a bit to weak, possibly, but I am sure none of us ever made a mistake at work which cost our company money.
There are a ton of highways being worked on in my area, and they have no shoulders just barriers right up to the edge of the lanes. Believe me...I get a shudder when I think if the chain blows in those areas, I'm gonna get hit. Just because nobody has been hurt yet doesn't mean it's not going to happen. Highways are dangerous enough without having your car implode at 70+ on a highway in the rain. It's sad but somebody getting hurt or dying is the only way Chrysler will address this.
#2138 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcuda View Post
i already made this argument back on page 5 or somewheres. they didnt buy it then but yes, I agree with you!
Because, it was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Through to November 2011, there were only some 26,000 R/T 5.7L with an automatic transmission made (the actual production numbers are posted in the this forum, go look it up). You cannot take every single Challenger or every single 5.7L and include those into the statistics. That's doesn't wash. Only the R/T Challenger 5.7L with an automatic transmissions are affected. R/T's with 6-speeds are excluded as are all other Chrysler vehicles. This problems seems unique to the R/T Challenger 5.7L with an automatic transmissions, so let's keep the statistics realistic on that level.

If you take that 26,000 number above and use the reports of timing chain failures in this thread, you are already at 1 in 1,000 units affected. Of course, not every person who suffers a timing chain failure will come into this thread and report it. So, obviously, the real world numbers are much, much higher.

Last edited by raVenX; 12-05-2012 at 04:49 PM.
#2139 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raVenX View Post
If you take that 26,000 number above and use the reports of timing chain failures in this thread, you are already at 1 in 1,000 units affected. Of course, not every person who suffers a timing chain failure will come into this thread and report it. So, obviously, the real world numbers are much, much higher.
How are you calculating 1 in 1000? Based on what data? At this point saying it is obvious is premature. Yes, it stands to reason that there are more failures in the real world than have been reported here. Saying that it is "much, much higher" is likely difficult to prove, let alone obvious.

I have yet to even see all of the requisite data points gathered in one place to even perform the calculations. So far all I've seen are WAGs.
#2140 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Dealer service rep I just talked said he had never heard of this problem. This is disturbing to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure , problems , timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode