Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 222 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#2211 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YO-EL View Post
Have you tried Autostick..?
Its brainless to use, hands are on the wheel, 1 finger to paddle it..

Nothing like a manual.. Its SO EASY, & NO MDS..

Hard to believe you bought a Muscle Car w/ a V8 and are THAT concerned about gas mileage..

But its your car, drive it how you want.
Let us know when the chain goes.. (again..)
I'm not here to argue, I'm here to find answers. I didn't JUST buy the car for gas milage, I drive it about 33,000 miles a year and I also didn't want to have to buy Z rated tires, premium gas, or pay the damn government a $1400 gas guzzler tax! They get plenty of my money as it is now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2212 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 AM

I would also like to stand up for Chrysler a little bit here too from my experience. I know lots of people here are beating them down but face it guys crap happens! While my car was in the shop they supplied me with a loaner car the whole time, and when I got my car back they also renewed my warrenty for another 3 years and 36,000 miles. I don't think they are really running from this thing, I just think some of us drive a lot faster, a lot more often than maybe what Chryler tested for so the problem may not have been found by them before production. All in all I would say Chrysler treated me pretty good during the whole thing, it was the dealer that did the repair that took forever and should have done things diffrent.
#2213 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 AM

It has still not been proven that MDS is the culprit to the TC failure, so I'm not so sure using autostick full time is the answer. I'm using autostick as much as I can now especially on the highway but just not enjoying having to use it exclusively driving around town. IMO it may help somewhat but I don't think it's the answer to saving the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#2214 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghelipilot View Post
I'm not here to argue, I'm here to find answers. I didn't JUST buy the car for gas milage, I drive it about 33,000 miles a year and I also didn't want to have to buy Z rated tires, premium gas, or pay the damn government a $1400 gas guzzler tax! They get plenty of my money as it is now!
So that's why you got the R/T? The smaller tires cost less if you got the 18 inchers over the 20 inchers
So anyone that's going to get a Challenger should get an R/T or SRT in with a manual transmission.
If you need to drive an automatic then get the SXT?
#2215 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanked 1,298 Times in 819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGRAY View Post
So that's why you got the R/T? The smaller tires cost less if you got the 18 inchers over the 20 inchers
So anyone that's going to get a Challenger should get an R/T or SRT in with a manual transmission.
If you need to drive an automatic then get the SXT?
What planet are you from???

Some folks want a HEMI and an automatic

2010 Detonator Yellow RT "Classic" A5

Mopar Front Brace. Petty 4pt Rear Brace. Mopar Stage One Lowering Springs.
Flowmaster Force II Exhaust, '11 Charger Intake Tube, SRT Air Box, BT Catch Can and nose emblem. Mopar Hemi Orange Engine Cover, "T" Shifter, Door Sills, Bright Pedals and Trunk Mat. Tinted windows, and custom embroidered R/T on the Headrests.
#2216 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19johned53 View Post
What planet are you from???

Some folks want a HEMI and an automatic
LMAO. A question I've been wanting to ask too.

2010 R/T 6-speed Hemi-Orange--sold
2012 R/T-C 6-speed Header Orange--sold
2013 R/T auto Jazz Blue--sold
2014 R/T 6-speed Header Orange

Last edited by mjb4450; 12-11-2012 at 12:49 PM.
#2217 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,114 Times in 767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghelipilot View Post
So Hal, can you tell me for sure if this "piston/plunger" has an oil port to push it for sure or not? I was wondering long before I read your post if the oil supply port you spoke of just happened to be the one that pushes the plunger to keep the chain tight, then bleeds the excess oil onto the chain for lubrication? Does anybody know for sure??
I believe the tensioner is a self-contained unit (no oil pressure operation).

The oil port is to provide lubrication of the chain/sprockets to keep the sprockets and chain from wearing (and putting metal particles into the engine).

2009 R/T 27J pkg (6 speed MT) ordered 7/17/08, built 10/23/08, home on 11/13/08

Eibach Sportline Suspension
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Nitto 555 Extreme 265/50-18"
392 Cam / DS CMR tune
Hurst /G&K modded short-throw shifter
Black gauge faces, lighted needles
#2218 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVOY1964 View Post
As a bit of information the oil solenoid now comes with instructions to remove the top and bottom screens before install. This is from my heavy mechanic friend at dodge.

I just installed a new solenoid and saw nothing about removing the oil screens............. This procedure would make absolutely no sense, the clearance of the spool valve in the solenoid are 50 millionth of an inch... .00050. one piece of debris could render it useless.

Folks, if you're new to this thread you need to research it for answers..... plenty of pics and specs have been posted for your information in the back pages.

Whoever is stating the tensioner uses oil to supply pressure for tension purposes is a hack, and should have his ASE certs taken from him, if they had them at all. I get really pissed off when no nothing techs try to BS customers to make it seem like they are some kind of wizard mechanic. There are some awesome techs around, they are a scarce lot...........

i'll post a video of how to inspect the VVT solenoid, if there is enough interest. It's not hard at all if you have just basic skills....

Cheeers......
#2219 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM

It seems like the autostick in city driving strategy to avoid mds shouldn't be as much of a pain as it sounds (remember, mds isn't just on fulltime just because you are in auto mode...it has to detect certain driving conditions before it comes on). Mds isn't going to come on until your speed goes steady, and you are mostly off the gas pedal. So you can run around town in auto mode for most of the time and not even hit mds. When you hit your cruising speed, slap it over to autostick, and that will keep mds off...that's the only time you have to worry about, really. If you have to slow down and change speed a lot again, go back to auto mode. You'll get the auto gearshifts and no mds, because mds will likely stay off as you are on the gas to run through the gears.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6929_4.gif

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/
#2220 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Timing chain break at 27k miles

I haven't been on the site regularly in a while, so have missed the conversation around the timing chain failures. My Challenger is a 2010 5.7L R/T w/ auto. Last weekend I was traveling from central Indiana to Des Moines IA for a conference. 20 miles from Des Moines I experienced the same thing others have posted... cruising on the interstate at 70, MDS on, when suddenly loss of power, ETC and CEL warning lights, then engine dies. Towed to the dealership and after tearing it down, they show me the broken timing chain. Both that dealer, and my local dealer swear this is the first time they've heard of anything like that....hmmm. Got a call today, the dealer says Chrysler is approving replacement of short block and heads. They think potentially 2 weeks to fix, will update when I get the car back with comments on availability of parts and the service.

This car is my 4th vehicle with a 5.7 in it. I previously had a 2007 Durango, and 2009 Challenger, and now own the 2010 Challenger and a 2011 Ram. I traded the Durango at 56k miles, and the 2009 Challenger @ 26k miles, and only have 10k on the Ram, so not sure if I just was fortunate enough to get rid of the others before this cropped up, or if it's w/ newer engines that have been using cheaper parts.

KGwinIN
2010 Tor Red R/T
Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure , problems , timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode