Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the way warranty works, the failed part is coded as the causal, hence if a timing chain is the issue and caused the engine failure, the timing chain is coded as the causal,

crankshaft demand is " 1 " a week, short block assembly is 21 a week, fits 08 thru 12
Luke
WWW.STEVEWHITEPARTS.COM
FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!
facebook.com/stevewhiteparts1
828-324-4410
800-779-3634
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by LexHemi View Post
Hey guys.. I found this forum because I was searching after the timing chain on my 2010 Challenger (22,600 miles) with a 5.7 Hemi broke while traveling at around 75 mph on the interstate two days ago. We coasted over to the emergency lane and I had to get it towed to a dealer...
Thank you for taking the time to register with the forum and pass along your experience. Sorry to hear about your plight and I hope it all gets worked out as soon as possible for you.

Maybe come back and give us all an update from time to time while your car is getting repaired.

By the way, where about are you?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
timing chain total weekly demand for 5.7L is 18, in the real world that is a totally insignificant number....
18 x 52 = 936 a year. Multiply that by 3 years (2009, 2010, 2011) and you get 2,808. That's NOT an insignificant number, and at least 75% of those, I'm sure, required a new engine, the most expensive component in the vehicle. Other than a car wreck, I can't think of a reason why you would order and replace a timing chain unless there was a failure, i.e., the timing chain broke. I'm sure there is, I just can't think of any and certainly none more convincing that it breaking.

Also, while it's true the 5.7L has been around since 2003 as you stated, this particular 5.7L configuration has only been around since 2009. Many things changed beginning in 2009, including a newly designed timing chain tensioner and the timing chain itself which I believe was replaced with a new much thinner timing chain.

But really, none of that matters. Your mind is obviously made up. 18 years, 5 years, whatever it is that your have worked as a mechanic, and your never have seen a timing chain break before in a Challenger is really of no concern. I don't suppose all of those who have experienced a timing chain break was instructed to notify you. I posted 3 cases of a timing chain break just inside of 2 months and now a 4th has come forward within that same time frame, and that's just in this thread. I believe I have 6-7 other cases logged. For something that both you and I agree seems sooo rare, 6-7 cases is rather shocking to me. Now you tell us that it may be as high as 18 per week. I am left just scratching my head in bewilderment.

Let the thread do what it was intended to do and find out if there is, in fact, a problem occurring. Could it just be a coincidence that all of these timing chains are breaking around the same time? Sure, that's possible. But rather than just shake your head and say no, no, no, let's let the thread take its course and let's see how many more post up their experience with a broken timing chain.

Last edited by raVenX; 12-19-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by raVenX View Post
18 x 52 = 936 a year. Multiply that by 3 years (2009, 2010, 2011) and you get 2,808. That's NOT an insignificant number, and at least 75% of those, I'm sure, required a new engine, the most expensive component in the vehicle. Other than a car wreck, I can't think of a reason why you would order and replace a timing chain unless there was a failure, i.e., the timing chain broke. I'm sure there is, I just can't think of any and certainly none more convincing that it breaking.

Also, while it's true the 5.7L has been around since 2003 as you stated, this particular 5.7L configuration has only been around since 2009. Many things changed beginning in 2009, including a newly designed timing chain tensioner and the timing chain itself which I believe was replaced with a new much thinner timing chain.

But really, none of that matters. Your mind is obviously made up. 18 years, 5 years, whatever it is that your have worked as a mechanic, and your never have seen a timing chain break before in a Challenger is really of no concern. I don't suppose all of those who have experienced a timing chain break was instructed to notify you. I posted 3 cases of a timing chain break just inside of 2 months and now a 4th has come forward within that same time frame, and that's just in this thread. I believe I have 6-7 other cases logged. For something that both you and I agree seems sooo rare, 6-7 cases is rather shocking to me. Now you tell us that it may be as high as 18 per week. I am left just scratching my head in bewilderment.

Let the thread do what it was intended to do and find out if there is, in fact, a problem occurring. Could it just be a coincidence that all of these timing chains are breaking around the same time? Sure, that's possible. But rather than just shake your head and say no, no, no, let's let the thread take its course and let's see how many more post up their experience with a broken timing chain.

whatever, you win i give up.............guys dont buy Challengers cause timing chains break
i'll trade mine for a Mustang today..............not

lol

Luke
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
whatever, you win i give up.............guys dont buy Challengers cause timing chains break
i'll trade mine for a Mustang today..............not

lol

Luke
I don't know. I beat the snot out of my GT and the engine just asked for more after 115,000 miles. Having timing chain issues at 22,000+ miles is absurd. While I don't own a 5.7 anymore, isn't the 6.4 basically a larger displacement version of the 5.7 as far as design goes? I sure hope they beefed up the timing chain.
Oops, correction, I do own a 5.7 in my Grand Cherokee.

ARH long tube headers with cats and ARH cat backs and Mopar quad tips, Lakewood strut tower brace, K&N Typhoon polished aluminum CAI, Nitto Motivo F: 255/45ZR20 R: 275/40ZR20, skip shift eliminator, Mopar splash guards all around.

Ex PCP 6 spd Classic owner
Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 AM

Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'll give Revotech a call, see what he's heard as he is the one who came up with the star center " replace too thick grease" on the early 6-speeds. He ALSO talked me into a catch can on the 5.7 as he had replaced a LOT of intakes due to that little none problem, tho they usually go ( intake silicone seals deteriated due to oil puddles under PCV inlet), out under a covered warranty repair id rather not worry bout it. My problem is like RavenX stated, if it's happening and being repaired with the same parts there IS the possibility of having it happen 3-4 times in the 100k warranty, NOT a very comforting thought.
First 09 sold in DFW, 08/30/08 BB-SE/G TRADED for Sickr PCP, 10 PCP R/T 6-Spd 7/5/10, Dream Since Teens! Mods; Mopar strutbrace, CAI, Borla ATAK, Custom Raptor SL, Moroso CC, SSE, Hurst w/70's mod, BR sequentials, Amber/Red sw/LEDs, Hotchkis Swys, r-Police/Spohn,R1 Slots/CentricPads-all, SXHood, DCS pins, Sickr rear/delete w/6x9s&12"sub, Boss 338s f 235/50/18, r 275/40/20ZR Motivos.
"TexasOutlawChallengers-ChallengerJam"
Studies show; PCP is highly ADDICTIVE in 6-speed form!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 AM

Missing the point

Your right, guys don’t buy Challengers because the timing chains break…we buy them because we wanted to believe that Chrysler had finally gotten it right and made the most unique and well designed and manufactured “retro” car. I had a 72 Challenger and loved it, great car and never once gave me an issue. Every Chrysler product I have had since then has been a mistake. But I heard good things about the Challenger and really liked the looks of the car so I took a chance and bought another Chrysler product…what a mistake!

I couldn't agree more with raVenX on this matter. After I first posted and got the response that I did it made my blood boil. The attitude of one person on this forum is exactly what keeps others from sharing their experiences because it just isn't worth it to argue with an idiot because they will only drag you down to their level and end up beating you with their experience....

It takes a lot of time out of a day to come here read other peoples posts and then sign up and post your experience. We are here because we are experiencing problems with our cars that we want to find answers to. When my timing chain failed I thought that was an odd thing so I “goggled it” and found this forum. Much to my surprise I found out that I wasn’t the only one who had this problem, and in fact I found several other web-sites that showed other people had the same problem.

The real problem is we purchased vehicles that are over $40,000, that the manufacture marketed to us as being “strip ready”, and some of us now have cars that have not been lived up to the “hype”. In my case I have only smoked the tires 3 times, I have never topped it out, and I drive 110 miles to work 4 days a week and 95 of those miles in highway travel. I never rag on it, have not gotten a speeding ticket in this car, nor had one in the last 30 years. My case isn’t about me abusing the car or being to hard on it…my case is about this car being a piece of “s*#t”. I have had nothing but troubles with this car since I first bought it. It all started when it would randomly not start and the key fob’s wouldn’t unlock the doors. I had the key fobs replaced 4 times and within a few weeks I would have the same problems all over again. I had it in the dealership on 5 occasions for this problem and was seriously looking at what recourse I had under the “lemon law” because no one could fix the problem. The dealership kept telling me that they have never heard of this type of a problem and they use this exact type of key fob on a number of Chrysler products. They were baffled and the last time I took it in they ended up with the car for 27 days before they finally got it fixed. Just like the person here who says “they never seen one or heard of that” I was accused of making things up until I finally had it happen and was able to take the car to the dealership so they could see it first hand. After all of their talk about that they didn’t know what the problem was and had never heard of it imagine my surprise when looking for answers to my timing chain issue to find that there were service bulletins about this key fob issue dated prior to my problems and yet the dealership lied to me telling me that they couldn’t find any information about this being a known issue. So excuse me if I don’t “trust” the dealership, mechanics or others who claim that they have never seen something.

In regards to my timing chain repairs I got screwed by Chrysler. After the dealership tore down my engine they determined that the valves needed to be replaced because they were bent from impacting the pistons and that was all the damage to the motor. They told me that the pistons were scuffed, but otherwise they were ok and that they were not going to replace them. I contacted Chrysler and asked that s senior field rep contact me. Never heard from the person, he called the dealership and they agreed that the pistons weren’t damaged and they put my car back together without ever consulting me. Now I am not a mechanic but I do have some knowledge…it is called “common sense” which seems to be lacking in most mechanics today. Anytime two pieces of metal collide with each other with enough force to bend one of them and cause a “scuffing” on the other there is no way that you can guarantee the structural integrity of those parts. If this was a drag car and the same thing happened the owner would do a complete rebuild of the engines internal parts. Why because there is no way they can determine if one or all of those internal moving parts were bent or damaged, even slightly. Not in this case, they put the car back together and I am stuck with it till it fails again…which it will.

Meanwhile, they have reported these “warranty repairs” to carfax and now my vehicle has this “black mark” against it when I go to sell it. It has this “major engine repair” and I for one would be less inclined to purchase this car, but I certainly wouldn’t pay the “maximum” for this particular car. Now that I have the car back (after 9 days) the car isn’t the same. The car never “shook” when sitting at a stop light, the gas mileage is decreased, and there is an obvious ticking noise in the head area. Crap does happen, but when crap happens fix the crap right the first time and don’t blame it on the driver.

I have a friend that has the exact same car, same year and when you drive his verses mine there is a difference, they sound different and both of them are 100% stock. The one thing I know is that if I were the owner of an auto parts supplier and one of my employees was posting on “forums” in the manner seen here that person would no longer be working for me… For those of us who have had the unfortunate “crap happens” experience as one person would have us believe I feel your pain as we know first hand that we no longer have “faith” in our vehicles.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Supporting Vendor

own many Gt Mustangs convertibles, my daughter blew the transmission drag racing on the street on the last one, except for constant replacing of wheel bearings, never had a problem, i dont baby my Challenger......

absurb thread, 18 failures a week is insignificant, 700+ is real problem, this site suffers from the same fate as many of these sites, bench racers that have never turned a wrench and know everything.....

I dont know anything!!!!

but been a manager in a dealership since i was 24, have drag race everything from street to supercomp, for the last 20 years race dirt cars, last 15 years raced dirt modifieds and everyday i learn something new.....

Luke
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM

Photos: (4)
Broken Timing Chain on 2010 5.7 Challenger

Originally Posted by raVenX View Post
Thank you for taking the time to register with the forum and pass along your experience. Sorry to hear about your plight and I hope it all gets worked out as soon as possible for you.

Maybe come back and give us all an update from time to time while your car is getting repaired.

By the way, where about are you?
I purchased the car and live in Lexington, KY. The car is at a dealer in Lebanon, OH. Just spoke with the Service Mgr. They have ordered a new timing chain and are checking for other damage. Two bad/damaged valves so far... sigh.

I guess this is not a big deal for guys like Luke until it happens to them. This is a huge deal to me. I love this car. It was a big spend for me. Just didn't expect this kind of epic failure.

I will say this. The service department I'm working with seems to be on top of things. I feel pretty confident they are doing what needs to be done to make things right again.

Any advice on what to ask or look for as the repairs progress?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Photos: (7)
Interesting thread, for sure. I'm curious to know if the affected engines were manufactured within a narrow time frame relative to each other or are they spread out over various model years.
Is it true that the newer hemi 5.7 (2009+) engine uses a much thinner timing chain compared to the older 5.7?
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.