Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 38 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If its the mds, Im glad I shut mine off at 10,000 miles never to be turned on again.
I do use 12.5x40 wt oil.
FlatTop
SHR Viking Trans, DSS 1000hp axle.Getrag 3:07gear.SRT springs.Dual fuel pumps. DSS alum 1pc DS. 392 cam, 1-29-13 FLATTOP built stroker motor.
3-30-14 Mokan 10:87et at 127mph 1:50 60ft DA 1870
6-24-14 Mokan 10:67et at 129mph 1:78 60ft DA 2925, 101.1mph 1/8mi
on N2o 150 shot in 2nd and 3rd
SPEED cost MONEY How FAST you wanta go ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM

Photos: (1)
Originally Posted by pdx.challenger View Post
I believe the same supplier makes both the timing chains & rocker panels.
Dats ah goood 1!

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/
Old 06-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Banned

Question: Are ALL the broken timing sets EXCLUSIVELY Challengers? If so, what is different with THAT 5.7 compared to the 5.7s in other bodies? They make a few more ponies, exactly what is that attributed to? I don't accept that the Challengers are driven any harder than the others, but maybe the redline cutoff is set to a higher level? If there are indeed stress cracks in the link plates, that could indicate poor fitment (chinese got the gear pitch off?), stretched chain which THEN doesn't ride the sprockets correctly, or maybe just entirely under engineered....maybe MDS was added on AFTER the timing set engineering studies got undercut by the bean counters, thereby over-stressing the timing sets of the MDS cars? I am still not clear on whether the 2012s have redesigned/different sets, or which cars the Manley sets DO fit, and whether 6.1 or 6.4 sets fit any (which years) of the 5.7s.

Tho mine is a stick, I WILL be changing out the chain set WAY before the need arises. Just as soon as these two AMXs are back up & respectable, and "this old mercruiser" is done & gone, & the 25th Anniversary T/A is gone......the parts collecting for the Hemi will begin....what year is this???... :-(
Old 06-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LETSJET: "Lets hope Dodge mans up and acknowledges the problem, has a fix, and makes it known."

We COULD help them along....during each NASCAR race, if we ALL got on Twitter & sterted tweeting stuff like:

"WHY are ALL our #Dodge #Challenger #HEMI engines BLOWING UP at 40k miles? #NASCAR #ESPN #SPEED #FoxNews #NHRA #IHRA #Penske #RPM #MOPAR #Chrysler"
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Banned

If we still had a distributor geared to the cam, we could turn the crank back & forth by hand & watch the rotor to see how many degrees of slop there was in the chain....could pull a valve cover & setup a dial indicator on a rocker arm....maybe......
Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
We COULD help them along....during each NASCAR race, if we ALL got on Twitter & sterted tweeting stuff like:

"WHY are ALL our #Dodge #Challenger #HEMI engines BLOWING UP at 40k miles? #NASCAR #ESPN #SPEED #FoxNews #NHRA #IHRA #Penske #RPM #MOPAR #Chrysler"

2014 Challenger R/T
6-Speed
Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl
Born 10/23/2013
Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM

That's not a half bad idea...OCCUPY DODGE!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by crow View Post
Looking at this chain, I can see stress risers on the connecting links, as if the chain doesn't fit properly on one or both of the gears, putting unde stress on the fastener pins. Continued stress on the fastener pins made the outer link crack. Just an opinion.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...hain-edit-.jpg
I think you folks are missing the most obvious reason for why it's breaking. Can't you see the timing chain in the photo? It's a joke people! You call that a timing chain? Really Chrysler? You put that piece of S_it in my engine, the one part that can destroy the whole motor? No wonder why it's breaking at only 40,000 miles. Sure there are only 30 or so here that have had it happen, but 40,000 miles is still low in todays world. When others start hitting 50,000 60,000 and so on, will theirs finally go?

Engines today can go 150,000+ miles and I'm supposed to start worrying about a engine breaking up at 40,000 miles? There went my plans on supercharging this motor. That chain belongs on a bike.

Last edited by dino; 06-27-2012 at 06:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dino For This Useful Post:
Kimonoskunk (05-14-2013)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by dino View Post
I think you folks are missing the most obvious reason for why it's breaking. Can't you see the timing chain in the photo? It's a joke people! You call that a timing chain? Really Chrysler? You put that piece of S_it in my engine, the one part that can destroy the whole motor? No wonder why it's breaking at only 40,000 miles. Sure there are only 30 or so here that have had it happen, but 40,000 miles is still low in todays world. When others start hitting 50,000 60,000 and so on, will theirs finally go?

Engines today can go 150,000+ miles and I'm supposed to start worrying about a engine breaking up at 40,000 miles? There went my plans on supercharging this motor. That chain belongs on a bike.
Brilliantly said, Dino. Mopar should be ashamed.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM

Hard to argue there! If they were already using a heavier built chain and it was still breaking, then it stands to reason there is something funky going on with the tensioners or vvt or mds. However, when the chain itself is not looking that substantial, that really begs to reason to being the culprit first and foremost.

Another detail to this is that even if the existing chain is quite fine for durability, it still a more narrow chain as far as contacting the tensioner shoe. A thinner chain will then have a more concentrated force where it contacts the shoe, sort of like grinding it down like a buzz saw until the shoe fails. A more substantial chain (wider, more layers) would better distribute that contact force on an equally wider tensioner shoe, facilitating less wear for a given tensioning force. Does that sound plausible? Maybe a wider chain has more strength than is needed, but there is just no escaping that it may be the wear on the tensioner shoe (on a narrow chain) that is the real bottleneck on this? When the shoe snaps, it takes out everything with it...

Aside from the obvious factor of mds functionality, the cam is a bit different between the 6-spd and auto versions of the 5.7 Hemi, right? Maybe there is a different tensioner stiffness value that is spec'd in conjunction with respective cam? If they saw fit to run a stiffer setting on the mds cam, that could be another explanation for excessive wear seemingly unique to the mds Hemi.

Last edited by randycat99; 06-27-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.