Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Banned

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
own many Gt Mustangs convertibles, my daughter blew the transmission drag racing on the street on the last one, except for constant replacing of wheel bearings, never had a problem, i dont baby my Challenger......

absurb thread, 18 failures a week is insignificant, 700+ is real problem, this site suffers from the same fate as many of these sites, bench racers that have never turned a wrench and know everything.....

I dont know anything!!!!

but been a manager in a dealership since i was 24, have drag race everything from street to supercomp, for the last 20 years race dirt cars, last 15 years raced dirt modifieds and everyday i learn something new.....

Luke
Luke, although we apprecieate the dealership side of the experience to the forum, Im not sure why you are sho staunchly in the "its not a problem" corner.

And you are right, many people have never turned a wrench, but isnt that the point when you buy a new car at $40,000 - $50,000??? The poster above you (BacDoc) is obviously not a kid and has had issues since day one, and he STILL cant get it right. Why, because the dealership has the same outlook as you, which gets in the way of getting things fixed. You say 18 Timing chain failures in a year, We have at least 3 posters in this thread with failures. Not saying its a wide spread problem, could be regional, could be a "batch" of bad timing chains, but with your, and seemingly most dealerships attitude that "The customer is an idiot" and "must" of been hot rodding it is why dealerships and the people that work there get no respect. Why not just say, "yea, there could be other variables involved".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Originally Posted by RoostKing View Post
You say 18 Timing chain failures in a year, We have at least 3 posters in this thread with failures.
It's actually 18 per week, though I don't think he said all these were failures. It was the weekly demand for the part. I still think that's a lot for a part that shouldn't need to be replaced. I can see the blocks being in higher demand as people want to build up their own engines, etc.

In any case, there's no denying multiple people on this thread have had timing chain failures. Luke can deny it all he wants, doesn't change the facts...but it might change who buys parts from him on here. Attitude goes a long way.
- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 AM

The internet creates a phenomina, people stretch the truth or pass on second hand information or outright lie. Taurus pistols for example, they are built in Brazil in the former Beretta factory,which retained almost all the engineers, smiths and assembly people when sold to Taurus.Taurus then spent $20,000,000 to upgrade most of the equipment to state of the art cnc machines.Some of their new models had bugs that were quickly corrected in almost all cases. I tracked one complainer and he had posted at least 100 times using multiple user names about a "Judge" failure, that in reality had happened to the father of a friend of his.Ruger had similar problems, few complaints.I've read about these three timing chain failures on four different sites but they are the same three.The Mustang Cobra 96-98 has tremec T-45's,havent found one that didn't have second gear synchro troubles.Replaced tranny rear-end and fuel pump on my 97 inside of 35k.Traded it in 2002 for a used C5corvette 14k which was even more troublesome.I could write a book on that one.IF you heard of a problem on C5's. mine had them, all of them.
In the order I installed them K&N drop-in,suitcase replaced with two magnaflow double offset 2.5" in and out, Jet 180* thermostat. Predator 93cai tune, clean air tube, resonator delete , Fastman ported throttle body. , SRT8 suspension up grade, Hood struts Best 1/8th mile 2.01 60 ft.,8.49@83.78, DA 88 Only 1/4 mile 2.11 60 ft.1/8th 8.71@82.77 1/4mi.13.41@ 105.49
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lashlarue View Post
The internet creates a phenomina, people stretch the truth or pass on second hand information or outright lie. Taurus pistols for example, they are built in Brazil in the former Beretta factory,which retained almost all the engineers, smiths and assembly people when sold to Taurus.Taurus then spent $20,000,000 to upgrade most of the equipment to state of the art cnc machines.Some of their new models had bugs that were quickly corrected in almost all cases. I tracked one complainer and he had posted at least 100 times using multiple user names about a "Judge" failure, that in reality had happened to the father of a friend of his.Ruger had similar problems, few complaints.I've read about these three timing chain failures on four different sites but they are the same three.The Mustang Cobra 96-98 has tremec T-45's,havent found one that didn't have second gear synchro troubles.Replaced tranny rear-end and fuel pump on my 97 inside of 35k.Traded it in 2002 for a used C5corvette 14k which was even more troublesome.I could write a book on that one.IF you heard of a problem on C5's. mine had them, all of them.
This is a perfect demonstration of a proven psychological phenomenon:

Whether you hear an idea from 10 people, or the same idea repeated 10 times from one person, it has the same weight on the listener's mind. A rather fascinating phenomenon.

A video about conformity. [VIDEO]
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
[QUOTE=Lashlarue;981334I've read about these three timing chain failures on four different sites but they are the same three.[/QUOTE]
That says alot. Now, I will admit for the three that this happened to, it is a big deal, and I also agree that if the pistons were scuffed on the one, they shoulda been replaced.

I don't know how many 5.7L Challengers have been sold, but 3 would be a microscopic percentage Im assuming. Nevertheless, it doesn't make the owners of these three feel any better.

Unfortunately, some things do happen. Heck, I remember a few years back the recall about missing front wheel bearings! I don't think any cars made it on the road (that I heard of), but yet I remember seeing a thread bashing Camaro's because they had something along the same lines. Now, I know it's not the same, but my point here is, sometimes things happen, despite the best quality that can be provided. Nobody and no auto manufacturer is perfect.

So, if the masses want to quit buy the Challenger because of these instances, well, that's fine.. I won't, and it will make my more noticeable the less that are on the road.

How the dealership handles the repair is what really matters. In the one case, with the scuffed piston, that's not right and I agree with the poster. I also don't think that any business would re-engineer and refabricate a part based on less than 1% failure rate. So, fact remains is, if your timing chain fails, you should expect it to be replaced by the same part.

Sorry to hear about the problems that some of you have had. Truly I am..

Mike
Solo Performance Cat Back Exhaust
Mr Norms Hood Pins
Bully Cold Air Intake
3G Customz covers - body color
Body color calipers

Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 AM

No customer Service

Well I got my 2010 Challenger back from the dealer after the repairs. All they did was rebuild the heads, they did nothing about the scuffed pistons. When I got the vehicle back the engine wasn't right, you could feel a vibration that wasn't there previously and there is a tapping noise that can be heard. After driving the vehcile for 1,500 miles I decided to check the oil level and found that it was over a quart low on oil. I took the car to two different dodge dealers and they both agree that there is a stange vibration and noise coming fromt he engine and that the vehicle isn't running correctly. Talked to the dealership that did the work and they say that there is nothing wrong with the engine that it was repaired to Chrysler specs and that if I have a problem then I need to take it up with Chrysler.

There is no way that you can impact the valves and the pistons without causing damage to both parts to some degree. I know that that there si something bent in regards to the lower half of the engine and that there was no way you would be able to tell that until you put the engine back together and ran it. I had one dealership drive the car and they noted that the engine "brakes hard" when you let off the gas now. This never use to happen and it nearly cause me to have an accident last week. I bought this car as a daily driver, not as a toy, and I live in Michigan where the raods get realy bad at times. I dorve this car last winter without every once having a white knuckle moment and in fact perferred driving my Challenger to my Navigator in the snow. Now the other day when I was driving in the snow and I came over a hill to find several slower moving cars in front of me I immediately let off the gas and the engine "braked hard" as if I had downshifted, and the ass end of the car went out to the left and I found myself fighting to regain control of the car. After correcting 3-4 times I finally got the car straightened back out and just missed hitting the end of the guard rail sideways. I never had this happen before and I had driven in far worse weather last year (this was the first snowfall of the year for us this winter).

I am pissed because I have not gotten the customer service that I think I deserve when it comes to the value of the car I purchased. I am still waiting to hear back from chrysler on how and what they are goignt to be willing to do to fix the problem. If I have to use the lemon law then I will use the lemon law but all I want is a dependable car that runs the way it did when I first purchased it.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Will the other two Dodge dealerships give you something in writing that says there's an issue with the engine? Then, maybe you can take those letters, along with the one dealership who is not taking care of it, and use it for additional ammunition at the next level.

Mike
Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Photos: (9)
If the other dealers said something was wrong why didn't you have them fix it?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:14 PM

To the people on this forum saying:
This is normal
or
It must have been the owners fault
or
Were you hot rodding your car when this happened
or
Your timing chain must have been struck by lightning.............remember this

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A REASON AND AN EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS- Just because you are a mechanic does not make you the best mechanic in the whole F'n world.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bacdoc11 View Post
Well I got my 2010 Challenger back from the dealer after the repairs. All they did was rebuild the heads, they did nothing about the scuffed pistons. When I got the vehicle back the engine wasn't right, you could feel a vibration that wasn't there previously and there is a tapping noise that can be heard. After driving the vehcile for 1,500 miles I decided to check the oil level and found that it was over a quart low on oil. I took the car to two different dodge dealers and they both agree that there is a stange vibration and noise coming fromt he engine and that the vehicle isn't running correctly. Talked to the dealership that did the work and they say that there is nothing wrong with the engine that it was repaired to Chrysler specs and that if I have a problem then I need to take it up with Chrysler.

There is no way that you can impact the valves and the pistons without causing damage to both parts to some degree. I know that that there si something bent in regards to the lower half of the engine and that there was no way you would be able to tell that until you put the engine back together and ran it. I had one dealership drive the car and they noted that the engine "brakes hard" when you let off the gas now. This never use to happen and it nearly cause me to have an accident last week. I bought this car as a daily driver, not as a toy, and I live in Michigan where the raods get realy bad at times. I dorve this car last winter without every once having a white knuckle moment and in fact perferred driving my Challenger to my Navigator in the snow. Now the other day when I was driving in the snow and I came over a hill to find several slower moving cars in front of me I immediately let off the gas and the engine "braked hard" as if I had downshifted, and the ass end of the car went out to the left and I found myself fighting to regain control of the car. After correcting 3-4 times I finally got the car straightened back out and just missed hitting the end of the guard rail sideways. I never had this happen before and I had driven in far worse weather last year (this was the first snowfall of the year for us this winter).

I am pissed because I have not gotten the customer service that I think I deserve when it comes to the value of the car I purchased. I am still waiting to hear back from chrysler on how and what they are goignt to be willing to do to fix the problem. If I have to use the lemon law then I will use the lemon law but all I want is a dependable car that runs the way it did when I first purchased it.
Sounds to me like they have the cam timing off. This is easy to do on a VVT motor. I doubt the lower end of the motor is hurt beyond some eyebrows (I know it sucks) but I think the bigger issue and the reason the motor does not run properly is because the tech messed up installing the timing chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.