Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 5 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 06:47 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First time I read this and it made for an interesting read. These guys blew their motors completely and everyone here is comparing it to the first time they blew a tire, bent a rim, or a t-45 tranny broke on a mustang lol. I wouldnt wish this on anyone but you guys are comparing apples to oranges. I would rather blow my mustang tranny 10 times than blow my motor once. Why u ask because of who is putting the motor together. Now they have problems with the car not feeling 100 percent. Heavy line mechanics put your motor together not staff at Arrington motorsport. They put it together hand You the keys and say next. Big performance companies dyno the motor check all the parts and flush and refill all the fluids. Test drive to make sure the car feels like all the ones they have built before them. To The dealer guy on this thread posting you sound a little ignorant when you speak. Just to let you know, I am sure you have been told this before. A week after purchasing my car my door handles stopped working. I took my car to the dealership and the service advisor told me he has NEVER seen this problem before. That's how I found this forum. After researching the problem found out its a problem a bunch of people have gone through. Sorry to hear about your car, even thought its a little late. Hope it gets fixed to your liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Unless there is something wong with a batch of timing chains, I really have a hard time believing that there is a major problem here. Timing chains on V8 motors have been around for a while so to think that suddenly Dodge can't build a V8 and make it work with a timing chain, seems like a strectch to me.

I threw a steel double roller on a 360 V8 years ago at about 90 mph, just chalked it up to crap happens, rebuilt the motor and moved on. Parts are going to break, things are going to happen, but with a 100K mile warranty I don't think I'm going to waste too much time worrying about it. If it goes after the warranty, well then it was time to build a stroker motor anyway.

I'm not saying we shouldn't keep an eye on the problem but I don't think it currently raises to recall levels. If there is a problem then someone will come up with a fix and you will go to the dealership for the upgrade.

By the way my brother's wife's car just puked it's motor and its a Subaru, it only had 60K miles on it and she changes her oil regularly. I think they said it had something to do with the timing belt, so maybe it's an epedemic across all the brands.

I know my car runs 10's because I once beat a guy who said his car runs 11's.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by RoostKing View Post
Luke, although we apprecieate the dealership side of the experience to the forum, Im not sure why you are sho staunchly in the "its not a problem" corner.

And you are right, many people have never turned a wrench, but isnt that the point when you buy a new car at $40,000 - $50,000??? The poster above you (BacDoc) is obviously not a kid and has had issues since day one, and he STILL cant get it right. Why, because the dealership has the same outlook as you, which gets in the way of getting things fixed. You say 18 Timing chain failures in a year, We have at least 3 posters in this thread with failures. Not saying its a wide spread problem, could be regional, could be a "batch" of bad timing chains, but with your, and seemingly most dealerships attitude that "The customer is an idiot" and "must" of been hot rodding it is why dealerships and the people that work there get no respect. Why not just say, "yea, there could be other variables involved".

2014 Challenger R/T
6-Speed
Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl
Born 10/23/2013
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 AM

Question. How does Dodge get around the fact that they sell options of trak pak and super track pak, and then refuse to honor warranty claims, based on the fact that you took your car to a dragstrip or road course or even autocrossed it.I had to see my attorney on another matter and I asked him about that very subject. He said not to worry, he could get my car fixed, cover his fee and put some cash in my pocket. BTW I'm not having any problems, but it's nice to know that I'll be able to sleep better at night...
In the order I installed them K&N drop-in,suitcase replaced with two magnaflow double offset 2.5" in and out, Jet 180* thermostat. Predator 93cai tune, clean air tube, resonator delete , Fastman ported throttle body..Dyno 8-17 ,102.18* F,, 334 rwhp. torque 359 ft.lbs.A/F 12.6 , SRT8 suspension up grade, Hood struts Best 1/8th mile 2.01 60 ft.,8.49@83.78, DA 88 Only 1/4 mile 2.11 60 ft.1/8th 8.71@82.77 1/4mi.13.41@ 105.49
Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photos: (42)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Originally Posted by KDodge75 View Post
Are you getting the 5.7L confused with the 2.7L from 1998-2000 where the timing chain tensioner would fail?
Funny, I own both a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T with 17,000 miles on it, and a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with 180,000 miles on it. I guess I am screwed. I have not had a issue with either of them. Not to say that others haven't.

2009 Dodge Challenger R/T six speed manual track pack, K&N Drop in filter, Rear (3) windows tinted, Rear tail lights tinted, Side markers tinted, Sequential tail and signal lights, custom painted engine cover, R/T hood to fender decals, Hood struts, Blacked out R/T grill badge, Stainless steel "Challenger" rearview mirror accent trim, Stainless steel "R/T" side mirror accent trim, Concept "Challenger" side badging, Dodge font nose emblem and Interior Mopar dealer package.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:10 AM

Photos: (4)
Sorry I've taken so long to get back on here and post an update. I've been traveling a lot lately and just haven't made the time. My car was returned to me after 13 days. The dealer/shop ended up replacing 8 intake and 8 exhaust valves (along with the timing chain and tensioner of course...) Since I was away from home when the timing chain broke I rented a car (one way) to drive home. I contacted customer service about reimbersing me for the 2 days of rental car and they objected to the amount of the rental (my daily rate exceeded the $30 allowable because it was a one way rental) and they said they only allow you to rent a chrysler vehicle. I laughed at the guy and asked him how I have any control over what vehicles a rental car company has in its fleet or on the lot I happen to be trying to rent from. He said he would waive that requirement this time. They did send me a check for $60. My car seems to be running good. I did find some nice scratches in the fenders around the engine bay. It looks like the shops fender covers were grinding into the paint while the mechanics were working on it. I'll have to get them buffed out. So I guess we are to believe that this is just a fluke. An unlucky bolt of lightening. I'm more inclined to think that there is a plastic mold out there that has an ejector pin that occasionally over strikes while ejecting the tensioner part. The weakened part looks visually fine but fails later. The numbers are low enough that Dodge can wait and replace the ones that do fail. Who really knows? I know it was not caused by how I drive or service my car. The idiots who made those types of posts on this thread really need to back off and quit assuming that they know everything or that anyone out here values that type of input. I still love my car. The timing chain (or tensioner) should not have failed at 22,000 miles.

Last edited by LexHemi; 01-23-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 70barcuda View Post
Unless there is something wong with a batch of timing chains, I really have a hard time believing that there is a major problem here. Timing chains on V8 motors have been around for a while so to think that suddenly Dodge can't build a V8 and make it work with a timing chain, seems like a strectch to me.
Yeah, and drywall has been around just as long, until we started importing it from China.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Good afternoon to all...

Yesterday, I was cruising along at the speed limit (it's the truth!) in my 2010 R/T when it quit on me. I had to have it towed to the local dealership for service. I just found out it was my timing chain that snapped. And mine had barely 14k miles...
Reading the other stories in this thread, tells me they'll have it in the shop for a bit longer...oh well. They did loan me a brand new 2012 Journey...

Exterior Upgrades:
Black Hood Pins & Spoiler, mudflaps, sill guards, R/T tire valve caps, body stripe nose extensions, grill script badge, custom Americana spoiler badge by Nate, and last but not least...BORLA ATAK exhaust!

INTERIOR UPGRADES:
Brushed Aluminum Race Pedals & T Handle shifter. Sound System II to pump out some classic rock!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully you won't have to wait long to get your car back good as new....er, hopefully better than new.
As for the timing chain breakage, this is getting to be too common of an issue for my comfort. I definitely don't have that warm fuzzy feeling inside when reading these posts.
CThomas, does your car have the auto or manual transmission?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Another one with a timing chain failure. Yours automatic as well I presume.
Keep us posted on the damage and repairs.
Man if I see/hear of one more gone I'm getting rid of this car.This is no longer a freak or slight hiccup of these problems.

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.