Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger

1M views 6K replies 443 participants last post by  Mopar Frank 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been finding many reports of the timing chain breaking on the Dodge Challenger, mostly in the 5.7L Hemi engines. The timing chain breaks in most reported instances around the 35K-40K mile range.

Once the timing chain breaks, the end result is usually the valves smacking the pistons which bend the valves, damages the pistons and leads to catastrophic engine failure. This often requires a new long block.

How many of you have had the timing chain break? How many miles on the car when when it happened? and what was your experience in getting it repaired?

---------

Known instances of the timing chain breaking on the 5.7L Dodge Challenger just in this forum alone in the past few months:

1. 06/27/2011 -- mileage not mentioned -- ... come to find out the timing chain broke ...

2. 07/19/2011 -- 85,000 miles -- ... and the timing chain broke...

3. 09/27/2011 -- 33,385 miles -- 2009 R/T Motor Broke

4. 11/23/2011 -- 38,000 miles -- Club member's car. Broken timing chain. Car in shop for over two months.

5. 12/07/2011 -- 34,000 miles -- I found this thread the hard way...

6. 12/19/2011 -- 22,600 miles -- 2010 Challenger - Timing Chain Breaks...

7. 01/21/2012 -- 60,000 miles -- Engine went..........

8. 02/02/2012 -- 38,000 miles -- 2009 Challenger R/T lost a second motor .. (Second occurrence. See #3 above. 4,000 miles on new motor).

9. 03/08/2012 -- 50,000 miles -- BLOWN ENGINE 50,000 miles

10. 03/23/2012 -- 14,000 miles -- ... my timing chain snapped

11. 04/04/2012 -- 53,500 miles -- My timing chain just broke today ...

12. 04/16/2012 -- 46,000 miles -- Mine is in the shop with a broken timing chain...

13. 04/27/2012 -- 31,000 miles -- My chain broke back in December of 2011 ...

14. 05/22/2012 -- 37,000 miles -- Here's another 2010 Auto R/T with a broken timing chain! ...

15. 06/13/2012 -- 40,257 miles -- I too have a broken timing chain ...

16. 06/23/2012 -- 38,485 miles -- Guess I can be added to the list ...

17. 06/26/2012 -- 38,500 miles -- Just happened last Saturday ...

18. 08/02/2012 -- 59,134 miles -- ... all of a sudden Bam the engine shuts down

19. 08/03/2012 -- 38,000 miles -- I had this happen at 38000 miles, 2010 R/T Auto

20. 08/08/2012 -- 27,000 miles -- The timing chain on my 2010 R/T just broke ...

21. 08/10/2012 -- 59,300 miles -- ... timing chain broke again. (Third occurrence. See #3 and #8 above. 16,000 miles on new motor).

22. 08/10/2012 -- 63,000 miles -- ... timing chain broke cruising at 70mph on the highway

23. 09/03/2012 -- 40,000 miles -- ... while driving to dallas my timing chain broke

24. 09/11/2012 -- 24,000 miles -- Welp - chalk up another one ... (first 2011 to be reported here)

25. 09/21/2012 -- 31,100 miles -- This just happened a few days ago ...

26. 10/10/2012 -- 42,559 miles -- Well it's looking like I'm the latest timing chain victim ...

27. 10/24/2012 -- 65,000 miles -- ... driving on the highway 65MPH and "Pop goes to weasel"

28. 11/18/2012 -- 40,000 miles -- Mine just broke...2010 mopar 10, no mods, auto ... (first to break not at highway speeds)

29. 11/19/2012 -- 39,000 miles -- just got another 2010 with 39000 in today ...

30. 12/04/2012 -- 40,000 miles -- The timing chain on my 2010 Auto RT broke last Friday ...

31. 12/09/2012 -- miles pending -- ... R/T not running at the moment timing chain broke ...

32. 12/11/2012 -- 27,000 miles -- ... cruising on the interstate at 70, MDS on, when suddenly loss of power ...

33. 01/03/2013 -- 58,000 miles -- ... the dealer has confirmed that I did have a timing chain failure.

34. 01/22/2013 -- 40,000 miles -- It has been confirmed I as well did have a broken timing chain

35. 01/22/2013 -- 43,000 miles -- 2010 R/T, 5-speed auto with mds. No mods at all.

36. 02/22/2013 -- 52,000 miles -- ... it happen to me this weekend ...

37. 04/15/2013 -- 55,000 miles -- I have now become victim to a failed timing chain

38. 04/20/2013 -- 73,000 miles -- cruising at 65 mph, in MSD, engine 'shut down'

39. 05/13/2013 -- 66,000 miles -- lost it on the interstate doing 73 in MDS

40. 05/20/2013 -- 56.616 miles -- ... on the freeway headed to work in the rain and Wham

41. 05/24/2013 -- 28,000 miles -- the chain went on the highway at 70+ mph

42. 06/07/2013 -- 88,256 miles -- ... driving down the highway heard a loud pop ...

43. 07/01/2013 -- 52,000 miles -- Timing chain broke on freeway ...

44. 07/23/2013 -- 54,057 miles -- Was in a canyon going uphill at about 55mph ... (claims MDS not engaged)

45. 07/26/2013 -- 49,000 miles -- Cruising along 65 mph engine stalled.

46. 08/10/2013 -- 22,281 miles -- I wish I found this topic sooner

47. 09/17/2013 -- 40,091 miles -- driving 74 mph in cruse control just died ...

48. 10/04/2013 -- 68,000 miles -- Add another one to the list OMG.

49. 10/22/2013 -- 89,000 miles -- Timing chain went on my 09 Challenger

50. 11/13/2013 -- 55,320 miles -- I had hoped I would never be posting this message ...

51. 11/13/2013 -- 42,342 miles -- Just got up to highway speed Bam Powerloss ...

52. 11/21/2013 -- 53,000 miles -- Add me to the list of failures ...

53. 11/27/2013 -- 73,000 miles -- I was cruising at highway speeds (70 mph), in MDS

54. Recall initiated, see below.

Remember, these reports are from this forum alone. Real world numbers are greatly increased.

The things in common when the timing chain breaks so far are:

1. MDS is activated (auto trans., so 6-speed are excluded)
2. Traveling at freeway speeds (or coming off of freeway)
3. 2009-2011 model years affected so far.
4. Limited to the 5.7L motor so far
5. Dodge Challenger only

Things ruled out thus far:

A. 6-speed manual transmissions not affected
B. Other 5.7L vehicles not affected, i.e., Charger, 300, Ram truck
C. New guide shoe (white color) has also failed (see #8 on list of failures)
D. New crate motor has also failed (see #3 and #8 on list of failures)
E. Both stock and mod cars affected
F. Both stock tune and Predator tune (with MDS turned on) affected
G. All oil change intervals affected, i.e., 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, etc.
H. All types of oil affected, i.e., both synthetic and conventional oil

* Author's notes (last updated 10/28/13):

(1) When I created this thread, I was so taken back by a timing chain failure happening and discovering at least a half dozen similar occurrences, that I attempted to discover if anyone here had experienced a timing chain failure and what their dealership experience was. I got a lot of adverse feedback along the lines of "alarmist" and "chicken little" and other name calling, including some from dealerships and master mechanics, as can be seen in just the first few hundred posts below. Many attempted to derail this thread by taking it off-topic on many, many occasions. Some are still out there promoting denial of the issue. Still, the problem remains, it is real and it continues to plague fellow Challenger owners.

(2) The timing chain concern can be alleviated by disabling MDS (a band-aid solution not a fix). All but one recent report have shown that MDS was engaged and the car was traveling at freeway speeds. You can prevent MDS from being activated by switching into manual mode while driving on the freeway. You can read How to use the Autostick feature and manual mode here. You can also use a tuner to disable the MDS feature, but be forewarned, if the dealership discovers your use of a tuner on the car, you are in for a fight to get the repairs done under warranty.

(3) Chrysler is aware of the issue and has been monitoring this thread for some time regardless of they might tell you. In addition, many people have already telephoned customer service and have written to Chrysler directly. But, even without all of that, you don't have timing chains, tensioners, heads and short blocks rolling out of the warehouse in the numbers that they have without raising some internal red flags of a potential issue.

(4) Talks of running off to court and filing a lawsuit over this issue are misguided. Your warranty specifically states that you MUST first submit the matter to arbitration. Any lawsuit would be immediately dismissed, and now you are out the filing fees.

(5) When I first created this thread, the weekly parts demand for timing chains was at about 15. It is currently hovering around 35 at the moment.

(6) Chrysler has switched from the black tensioner and guide to white (supposedly stronger) and then to an aluminum tensioner and guide with a plastic face plate (the current part). Both black and white guides have failed. No reports of the aluminum failing yet but they are relatively new first showing up in mid-2013 R/T's.

(7) The exact cause of the timing chain failure is still unknown. In fact, it may never been known. There are just too many factors involved to isolate the problem, and if we haven't discovered the cause in over 350,000 page views, how can we expect Chrysler to? While there is a lot of speculation as to the exact cause, which seems to go round-and-round every few hundred posts, it is all just that -- speculation. What we do for for certain is that MDS is playing a part in the timing chain failures.

(8) Special shout outs to Desert Bum, Hal H, hmk123, Force10, 19johned53, and the nameless many who have helped to keep this issue real and on topic. Your comments are appreciated.

---------

* Author's notes (last updated 02/12/14):

Customer Satisfaction Notification P01
Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide
Models
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
Subject
Repair
2009-2012 (LC) Dodge Challenger
(LD) Dodge Charger
(LX) Chrysler 300
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).
The engine timing chain guide on about 50,800 of the above vehicles may fracture. A fractured engine timing chain guide could cause the engine timing chain to break. A broken engine timing chain will result in severe engine damage.
The engine timing chain, timing chain tensioner and timing chain guide must be replaced.
Customer Satisfaction Notification P01 Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide Page 2
Part Number Description
CBPRN291AA Engine Timing Chain Package
Each package contains the following components:
Quantity Description
1 Chain, Engine Timing
1 Guide, Engine Timing Chain
1 Tensioner, Engine Timing Chain
1 O-ring, Oil Pick-up Tube
1 Gasket, Engine Timing Cover
NOTE: Order two heater tube O-rings separately listed below for each repair.
Part Number Description
53013736AA O-ring, Heater Tube (order two per vehicle)
Each dealer
to whom vehicles in the recall were assigned will receive enough Engine Timing Chain Packages to service about 5% of those vehicles.

----------

Recall type:

Customer Satisfaction Notification - Customer Satisfaction Notifications are preventive in nature and involve warranty or customer satisfaction issues such as non-safety repairs. Chrysler will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.

You can check if your vehicle is subject to the timing chain issue recall (or any other recall) by visiting the Chrysler website and entering your vehicle's VIN number. Visit: http://www.chrysler.com/en/mobile/webselfservice/

----------

We really want to thank everyone who wrote us, (Pietro), with their timing chain concerns. The engineering team has completed their work and the following statement has been released. If there are any questions, reach out to us on this forum as opposed to sending an email as that will be quicker.

Chrysler Group is launching a customer-service action to bolster timing-chain system durability in certain cars equipped with 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 engines.

The decision follows an extensive investigation to determine the precise issue and appropriate remedy.
The investigation discovered the engine’s fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation technology may cause an adverse interaction with the timing-chain system. (Chrysler Group is unaware of any related injuries or accidents.) As a result, the Company will replace – at no cost to customers – the timing chains, tensioners and guides in certain vehicles built between Aug. 4, 2008 and July 10, 2012.

Affected are certain model-year 2009-2012 Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 full-size sedans, and Dodge Challenger sport coupes. The scope is limited to vehicles equipped with 5-speed automatic transmissions and axle ratios of 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92.

Beginning this month, Chrysler Group will contact affected customers with instructions to schedule service appointments with their dealers.

Chrysler Group greatly appreciates the patience demonstrated by its customers while this issue was under investigation. The Company also values and shares the passion expressed on these pages by customers and fans alike.

Thanks,

DodgeCares
----------

Article: Timing Chain Failure on the Dodge Challenger – Ground Zero

----------

See less See more
#2,430 ·
So when some owners say they feel the transition between MDS on/off but others don't is it because the difference in cars/manufacturing or because some folks are just better in noticing?
Also can any of this have anything to do with how the engine is mounted in the car? The chassis is obviously different between LX based cars. Probably a stupid question...

#2,433 ·
The LC is just the LX platform minus 4" behind the doors, right?...or did I miss something?

#2,436 ·
Just an interesting info tidbit, did you guys know the Nissan 350Z and the Murano share the same platform?...now that is a pretty different kind of vehicle on one platform, eh?

#2,437 ·
I was just trying to see if there is any way the shortened platform could have any impact. It seems unlikely but I thought I just throw that out there...

#2,440 ·
It could if harmonics is the trigger to the problem. Someone also mentioned the motor mounts or the way the engine was mounted, that too could have an impact if harmonics is the trigger.

If harmonics is the trigger, then the solution would be to change something to throw off the harmonics in that range, like some people who have added a cat-back system and find drone can sometimes can take a few stainless steel clamps and place around the pipe at various locations or even giving the pipe a small dent to change the harmonics. Same principle. Right now, for the timing chain issue, the best band-aid at the moment seems to be making sure MDS doesn't engage which of course will change the harmonics of the engine.

#2,438 ·
I've mentioned this before and got no response, I found this somewhere on the internet in several places.

"If you have an MDS engine (all current 5.7 engines!), only use 5W20 oil. You need the right oil. If the owner’s manual says something else, follow its advice - but don’t be convinced by a mechanic. Insist on the right grade and if they don’t use it...get a refund and go somewhere else. (You can quote TSB 09-015-04 and 09-013-04, “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS.”) Watch the mechanic pour it in!
According to Chrysler, owners can maximize the effectiveness of the MDS (and increase gas mileage) by using the cruise control and keeping a steady foot on the throttle."

I can't find where this has been discussed, maybe I missed it and sorry if I did.

can we say for sure that every failure occurred while using the proper recommended oil, this sounds like a dire warning. I guess this would mean Ram and Charger owners would have to be less likely to disregard oil recommendations to make sense but I do know everybody has their own idea about what kind and what weight oil to use and since that is tied more closely to performance I can see this could be one of the reasons that the Challenger might be affected more than other vehicles using basically the same engine.

thanks, back to your regularly scheduled program. :thup:

#2,439 · (Edited)
I've mentioned this before and got no response, I found this somewhere on the internet in several places.

"If you have an MDS engine (all current 5.7 engines!), only use 5W20 oil. You need the right oil. If the owner’s manual says something else, follow its advice - but don’t be convinced by a mechanic. Insist on the right grade and if they don’t use it...get a refund and go somewhere else. (You can quote TSB 09-015-04 and 09-013-04, “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS.”) Watch the mechanic pour it in!
According to Chrysler, owners can maximize the effectiveness of the MDS (and increase gas mileage) by using the cruise control and keeping a steady foot on the throttle."

I can't find where this has been discussed, maybe I missed it and sorry if I did.

can we say for sure that every failure occurred while using the proper recommended oil, this sounds like a dire warning. I guess this would mean Ram and Charger owners would have to be less likely to disregard oil recommendations to make sense but I do know everybody has their own idea about what kind and what weight oil to use and since that is tied more closely to performance I can see this could be one of the reasons that the Challenger might be affected more than other vehicles using basically the same engine.

thanks, back to your regularly scheduled program. :thup:
I believe this was from an Allpar article.........

This specific oil viscosity is relatively thin, allowing MDS components like the solenoids and lifters to operate within a prescribed time. If the oil was thicker, spring pressures and oil drain back would be unable to overcome the hydraulic resistance causing a multitude of problems when re-engaging V-8 mode.

It would be possible, in theory, a valve could not close due to the above mentioned condition, and engine damage would ensue......

These Hemi's are close tolerance, one tooth off either way on the TC, valves could hit the pistons. It would not be as critical if not for the VVT.......

#2,444 ·
by the way, the new Durango and Grand Cherokee are on the same platform, WD & WK body codes, the last body style Grand Cherokee & Commander were also on same platform, many of our cars and trucks are built on same or similar platforms, manufacturer's way of reducing cost

the new Jeep Liberty is rumored to be built on the new Dart platform

Luke

#2,447 ·
I believe so much and am so confident that it is in the Tune and is a Challenger issue only that I went ahead and got a 2012 Ram with the 5.7 Auto.

I sure like my Truck so I hope like hell that I am right. LOL.

#2,451 ·
There's another model 8-speed ZF that is slated for future years' production that will have the torque capacity for V8 applications (other makers - BWM, Audi, Jaguar use ZF's behind their V8 engines).

Chrysler needs to tool up for additional capacity to bring the ZF 8HP70 (rated up to 516 ft.lb) into production, alongside the ZF 6HP.

Initially the early 8HP70 will come built by ZF, later assembled by Chrysler in-house.

#2,454 ·
Same here and I would've thought twice about buying another Chrysler vehicle if hadn't found a private mechanic who knows how, and likes, to work on these cars.

#2,455 ·
I'm starting to think that mine is going to fail again. It seems like it will be city type driving this time. Sometimes when driving under 40 mph and I accelerate it seems to bog down, like it's having trouble getting out of MDS. It did not happen before the first chain broke.

#2,456 · (Edited)
Chrysler should be watching the news. Yesterday, Toyota was a key topic with their "sudden acceleration syndrom" issue.

Toyota is not only going to court about this, there's more legal action being taken by Toyota owners because all of the "bad press" has devalued their cars!

Supposedly, several independent companies have looked into the acceleration issues, and have found nothing. No cause, no issues with these models.

Toyota owners think different. They feel that with all the bad press on this, their cars value has dropped, and they want $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from Toyota beacause of this.

Chrysler could be heading down the same road with the TC issue, and staying "mum". At some point, some legal eagle will take a case, based on TC failure, and let the fun begin for Chrysler.

"The trouble with the truth, is that is always comes around".......Marty Stuart

#2,457 ·
I'd really like for Chrysler to look into problems like the timing chain and fix them, or at least be open about them (I'm a grown up and can tweak the product to fit my use and taste), but I certainly don't wish upon them a debacle like what Toyota is going through (not that I'm not laughing at Toyota). I think that this thread is useful not only for its info, but also to nudge corporate into action. The dealers will quit playing dumb when they get the green light from above.
Otherwise I buy American because I like what the products are and represent, and to support the companies. This is why a Canadian or Mexican assembly plant doesn't bother me - Chrysler is an American staple and icon no matter what. So I'd hate to see one of the Big Three trip up again. That's very different from being a blind supporter, though.

#2,458 ·
I agree, and have always posted that "Chrysler should just do what's right" concerning these TC failures.

Unfortunately, bean counters rule the corporate world, and when they are done, legal eagles direct the company as to "what to" and "what not to" say.

I spent a good chunk of change on my Challenger, and I love this car. I'm old school, and just want the company who built it to have some respect to its' customers.

For those that have contacted Chrysler about this issue, the answers have all been "legalized"..........say nothing, and do nothing..................it'll cost you money if you devulge the truth.

So, I don't want to see Chrysler go down again, but they are the "driver"...............and I'm just in for the ride.

#2,459 ·
you can rant about timing chain failures all you guys want, the failure rate is so small, it is insignificant, i know no one wants to hear that, but it is a fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

same as guns dont kill people, people kill people, its a fact

why would Chrysler spend millions to fix something that is well below the failure rate.....all mechanical machines whether be cars, trucks, toaster, computers or whatever will have an acceptable failure rate...quality of materials, human factor or whatever.....

has anyone look at failure rates on pc's????

Microsoft analyzes over a million PC failures, results shatter enthusiast myths | ExtremeTech

for example 1 in 460 will have a cpu failure, imagine 1 in 460 timing chain failure, now thats something to scream about

i know no one agrees and bring it on and bash me, however the numbers dont lie, every chrysler products job 1, 2009 to present has the same timing components if its a hemi, every 5.7L and every 6.4L hemis, have exactly the same timing components, that includes every car, suv and trucks

Luke

#2,461 ·
Luke, for as low as the failure seems, it is odd that one or two people have had multiple chain failures. Given that alone, I would have to think there are more than just a handful of failures but I do not know the ratio myself.

By the way, there is critical difference between software failures and car failures. Software is always delivered before it is fully tested. This has been going on for years because first to market wins. That is the rule. If there are firmware bugs, patches will be forthcoming via internet download. I the car world, you cannot do that. A car has to be 99% right out of the gate due to the cost of fixing large quantities of cars as well as the safety aspects.

How ever low these failures are, they are consistant and deserve QA attention.

#2,460 ·
You keep saying that, Luke, but it's like the sheet metal, and rotors, and rocker panels, etc. Most people won't even notice and complete failures are rare so manufacturers and shops play the odds. That's how business is done at every level and it wouldn't be profitable otherwise. Now to say that it's acceptable to the customer is... subjective, to be polite.
I know I might have to replace some trim or my windshield when I wouldn't have to do this on another make, and I accept it because of the low cost vs. the pull of the car. But a major engine failure... that's hard to swallow, even only on the horizon.

I'd still like for someone to look at that first page and narrow the numbers down to auto Challengers with a Hemi (not inflating them with the whole Chrysler LX-LC production) and tell me honestly that there's nothing to fear. Again, speaking from experience with a very similar vehicle (Charger R/T), every problem reported online was real. It's just that many people sold the car before it failed or never looked at it closely (me included). So the guys who say "my car is fine" or "much ado about nothing" don't convince me at all, especially since I bought the car to keep it and put miles on it.

#2,463 · (Edited)
And we're not beta-testing Challengers at this point in their production life either. First-year run, that's when the unexpected stuff comes up and you work on the fixes. All mechanical devices fail, we all know that cliche, and that's what warranties and recalls are for.
Ask your tech about rocker claddings cracks and you'll get a blank stare too, while the poll here showed that more than half of us were affected (IIRC), sometimes repeatedly. Lots of BS and hysteria on forums (because that's where the anal and picky owners are), yes, but my trust goes there by default anyway.

#2,464 ·
With a PC failure, you're at home. And you can go to Walmart and buy another one.

Where will you be when your engine blows and how long will it take to fix it?

The timing chain parts may be the same across all models, but in the Challenger they may be pushed harder by the tune.

Reactions: USRWDV8
#2,465 ·
If we were just talking about timing chain failure and not major engine failure, then I would probably be less concerned as it's a relatively cheap and easy repair.

Reactions: USRWDV8
#2,466 · (Edited)
I'm skeptical of everything too by nature and from experience, but I don't know why the following is still up for debate: One problem means nothing. One car having the same problem repeatedly may suggest operator error. A handful of similar problems is not necessarily cause for concern, but warrants investigation. But I'm seeing 32 cases today, and they have been carefully narrowed down to a specific model with a specific transmission and engine combo, in specific useage conditions, and the same exact issue keep being reported with regularity on cars from 2009 to 2011 so far. Forget anything else, it baffles me how that can be brushed off so easily.

We discuss issues that have a much lower rate of occurrence as though they were widespread and no one raises a doubt. One reason this makes owners nervous is that while most of us did not experience the dreaded timing chain failure, MANY have noticed weird and unpleasant behavior that we attribute to the MDS. Can you say tip of the iceberg? I hate to be so dramatic, but maybe that's what it takes for things to sink in. :slant:

ETA: as others noted, it's a significant problem enough that the fear of it happening will make one take notice more. And when is even one chain breaking at such low mileages as we've seen not a freak occurrence? At 32 freak occurrences you have to redefine 'freak' for me. Lightning hits things all the time, but when it hits 32 cars of a given make, and model, and within a certain time frame... you get the gist of it. Why do we even have to defend this as though it were paranoia or fantasy?

#2,467 ·
32 cases huh? I bet there were fewer run away Toyotas than that and they had far more cars on the market. Personally, I believe there were only one or two real runaway cases. The others were so bogus and proven that the cars were fully operational. Many of the cars where they supposedly ran a way, the owners were behind on payments and were going to get their cars repo-ed. With these few cases, this still got the govt attention.

Speaking of this. For the push button people, is there an emergency cut off? Pushing the button while in motion does nothing.

#2,468 ·
That's a good question, but if you put it in neutral and pull over and then the engine just sits revving at the rev limiter, you can calmly take pictures of the gas pedal with the rpm gauge in the shot and then tell the manufacturer that you "Really" have a problem. I don't think the engine would blow nowadays, not sure though.

#2,469 ·
Depends on the particular programming, but a modern transmission may not execute your request to go to N, while a WOT signal is present. I think that is the catch-22 that people may not be considering when they say it is just a simple matter to defuse the situation. I'm certainly not curious enough to try that out on my own car. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.