Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 51 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 PM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by crow View Post
What are you talking about. MDS is not part of an emissions package. There is no legal issue of disabling it. Dealers won't do it because they can't. Unless you can reprogram the PCM with a VIN from a 6 speed.
I'm betting since disabling would affect mileage and so total emissions, it would be a no no for a dealer or any service shop to permanently disable it. Too bad or I'd be in the market for an R/T auto now instead of either another manual or a SXT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Anything that affect emissions and also fuel economy would be against Chrysler and federal government regulations

Luke
WWW.STEVEWHITEPARTS.COM
FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!
facebook.com/stevewhiteparts1
828-324-4410
800-779-3634
Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I remember, when they updated the PCM of my Magnum, the dealer had to put a sticker under the hood documenting the PCM update and it said something that it complied with emission regulations.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by mjb4450 View Post
I'm betting since disabling would affect mileage and so total emissions, it would be a no no for a dealer or any service shop to permanently disable it. Too bad or I'd be in the market for an R/T auto now instead of either another manual or a SXT.

Dont want to steer away from the timing chain thread , but I have my MDS disabled with my Predator on my 09 R/T and it is getting the same mileage as without. Maybe the MDS would help on a long roadtrip but for the most part has not made a difference on my car. It actually feels better running full time on all 8 cylinders. Surprises me.
(Hemi666)
Mopar or Nocar!! 2009 Challenger R/T , 5.7 Hemi , 5sp Autostick, Magnaflow Mufflers, 180 t-stat, Moroso Oil Catch Can , Modern Muscle 85mm Throttle body, Airaid T-body spacer, Mopar CAI, Predator tuned, Pettys Garage shock tower brace,Custom 345 HEMI hood badges, Billet fuel cap, SRT Functional hood scoops and hood struts, Custom pistol grip shifter, Classic badges , Custom Bumblebee Hemi stripe., Custom Dyno tune 343 RWHP / 386 lbs Torque / 405-410 HP at crank.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM

Is everyone brain dead? If you don't want to run MDS just use autostick 100% of the time.Nothing illegal about that.Does require thinking about how you drive.I guess the thinking part is too difficult for some.
In the order I installed them K&N drop-in,suitcase replaced with two magnaflow double offset 2.5" in and out, Jet 180* thermostat. Predator 93cai tune, clean air tube, resonator delete , Fastman ported throttle body. , SRT8 suspension up grade, Hood struts Best 1/8th mile 2.01 60 ft.,8.49@83.78, DA 88 Only 1/4 mile 2.11 60 ft.1/8th 8.71@82.77 1/4mi.13.41@ 105.49
Old 07-14-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by mjb4450 View Post
When running a smog test, MDS is not enabled, and the emission requriments would be the same as a non MDS Challeneger.

Yes, better mileage obvisously would lower emission output. My MDS is disabled through the Predator, and I'm not breaking any law.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 AM

And all along I thought the MDS was to help them meet CAFE mileage requirements!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM

I finally got my car back....everything seems to be fine....the list of replacement parts was incredible! Probably could have saved money just replacing engine....engine seems to run smoother than before...and actually sounds better, probably just my imagination sense my loaner car was a Toyota Yaris! Haven't had car in D yet, been driving in autostick.....I'm scared!

Sent from my LG-P925 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-15-2012, 07:18 PM

I wish you well.

Somehow I feel this won't be the last of your problems.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

If Dodge was to replace these blown engines with "crate engines" they would:
1)Save a bundle of labor pay out to dealerships.
2) Be SURE that the engine was done 100% correct the FIRST time with NO comebacks. 3)Put the customer behind the wheel in a fraction of the time.
4)Have a 99% better chance at avoiding further trouble with that car.
5)Maybe make a loyal customer for life!
6)Be able to rebuild the engine at the factory to make it 100%, then sell as seasoned crate engine w/full wnty at a reduced cost from green engine.
7)Determine EXACTLY how these engines are grenading plus any other concerns that can be revised on the production line.
8)One-up the competition & get GREAT PRESS to exploit to the nth degree!
9)Maybe pull in some Ford & GM customers to the Dodge family.
10)Maybe either offer at extra charge, or just include, better heads, more cam, a hotter ECU, better TB or intake, ANYTHING they can address midstream to help put another carlength on the competition. Maybe the 2013 engine? What an ingenious coup THAT would be!

Each of the pro points above, are, right now under current policy, NEGATIVE POINTS that HURT Dodge sales, FOR SURE!

What happened to the GREAT heritage of Dodge? They ARE blowing it! Once it goes, it's awfully hard to get back! Losing Petty & Penske in NASCAR is a BIG MISTAKE. Bean counters be DAMNED!

How can they be SO ignorant? Bean counters outrank QC & marketing?

How can we get Dodge to see the reality of this situation RE: how they CAN turn a negative into a GREAT positive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.