Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger

1M views 6K replies 443 participants last post by  Mopar Frank 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been finding many reports of the timing chain breaking on the Dodge Challenger, mostly in the 5.7L Hemi engines. The timing chain breaks in most reported instances around the 35K-40K mile range.

Once the timing chain breaks, the end result is usually the valves smacking the pistons which bend the valves, damages the pistons and leads to catastrophic engine failure. This often requires a new long block.

How many of you have had the timing chain break? How many miles on the car when when it happened? and what was your experience in getting it repaired?

---------

Known instances of the timing chain breaking on the 5.7L Dodge Challenger just in this forum alone in the past few months:

1. 06/27/2011 -- mileage not mentioned -- ... come to find out the timing chain broke ...

2. 07/19/2011 -- 85,000 miles -- ... and the timing chain broke...

3. 09/27/2011 -- 33,385 miles -- 2009 R/T Motor Broke

4. 11/23/2011 -- 38,000 miles -- Club member's car. Broken timing chain. Car in shop for over two months.

5. 12/07/2011 -- 34,000 miles -- I found this thread the hard way...

6. 12/19/2011 -- 22,600 miles -- 2010 Challenger - Timing Chain Breaks...

7. 01/21/2012 -- 60,000 miles -- Engine went..........

8. 02/02/2012 -- 38,000 miles -- 2009 Challenger R/T lost a second motor .. (Second occurrence. See #3 above. 4,000 miles on new motor).

9. 03/08/2012 -- 50,000 miles -- BLOWN ENGINE 50,000 miles

10. 03/23/2012 -- 14,000 miles -- ... my timing chain snapped

11. 04/04/2012 -- 53,500 miles -- My timing chain just broke today ...

12. 04/16/2012 -- 46,000 miles -- Mine is in the shop with a broken timing chain...

13. 04/27/2012 -- 31,000 miles -- My chain broke back in December of 2011 ...

14. 05/22/2012 -- 37,000 miles -- Here's another 2010 Auto R/T with a broken timing chain! ...

15. 06/13/2012 -- 40,257 miles -- I too have a broken timing chain ...

16. 06/23/2012 -- 38,485 miles -- Guess I can be added to the list ...

17. 06/26/2012 -- 38,500 miles -- Just happened last Saturday ...

18. 08/02/2012 -- 59,134 miles -- ... all of a sudden Bam the engine shuts down

19. 08/03/2012 -- 38,000 miles -- I had this happen at 38000 miles, 2010 R/T Auto

20. 08/08/2012 -- 27,000 miles -- The timing chain on my 2010 R/T just broke ...

21. 08/10/2012 -- 59,300 miles -- ... timing chain broke again. (Third occurrence. See #3 and #8 above. 16,000 miles on new motor).

22. 08/10/2012 -- 63,000 miles -- ... timing chain broke cruising at 70mph on the highway

23. 09/03/2012 -- 40,000 miles -- ... while driving to dallas my timing chain broke

24. 09/11/2012 -- 24,000 miles -- Welp - chalk up another one ... (first 2011 to be reported here)

25. 09/21/2012 -- 31,100 miles -- This just happened a few days ago ...

26. 10/10/2012 -- 42,559 miles -- Well it's looking like I'm the latest timing chain victim ...

27. 10/24/2012 -- 65,000 miles -- ... driving on the highway 65MPH and "Pop goes to weasel"

28. 11/18/2012 -- 40,000 miles -- Mine just broke...2010 mopar 10, no mods, auto ... (first to break not at highway speeds)

29. 11/19/2012 -- 39,000 miles -- just got another 2010 with 39000 in today ...

30. 12/04/2012 -- 40,000 miles -- The timing chain on my 2010 Auto RT broke last Friday ...

31. 12/09/2012 -- miles pending -- ... R/T not running at the moment timing chain broke ...

32. 12/11/2012 -- 27,000 miles -- ... cruising on the interstate at 70, MDS on, when suddenly loss of power ...

33. 01/03/2013 -- 58,000 miles -- ... the dealer has confirmed that I did have a timing chain failure.

34. 01/22/2013 -- 40,000 miles -- It has been confirmed I as well did have a broken timing chain

35. 01/22/2013 -- 43,000 miles -- 2010 R/T, 5-speed auto with mds. No mods at all.

36. 02/22/2013 -- 52,000 miles -- ... it happen to me this weekend ...

37. 04/15/2013 -- 55,000 miles -- I have now become victim to a failed timing chain

38. 04/20/2013 -- 73,000 miles -- cruising at 65 mph, in MSD, engine 'shut down'

39. 05/13/2013 -- 66,000 miles -- lost it on the interstate doing 73 in MDS

40. 05/20/2013 -- 56.616 miles -- ... on the freeway headed to work in the rain and Wham

41. 05/24/2013 -- 28,000 miles -- the chain went on the highway at 70+ mph

42. 06/07/2013 -- 88,256 miles -- ... driving down the highway heard a loud pop ...

43. 07/01/2013 -- 52,000 miles -- Timing chain broke on freeway ...

44. 07/23/2013 -- 54,057 miles -- Was in a canyon going uphill at about 55mph ... (claims MDS not engaged)

45. 07/26/2013 -- 49,000 miles -- Cruising along 65 mph engine stalled.

46. 08/10/2013 -- 22,281 miles -- I wish I found this topic sooner

47. 09/17/2013 -- 40,091 miles -- driving 74 mph in cruse control just died ...

48. 10/04/2013 -- 68,000 miles -- Add another one to the list OMG.

49. 10/22/2013 -- 89,000 miles -- Timing chain went on my 09 Challenger

50. 11/13/2013 -- 55,320 miles -- I had hoped I would never be posting this message ...

51. 11/13/2013 -- 42,342 miles -- Just got up to highway speed Bam Powerloss ...

52. 11/21/2013 -- 53,000 miles -- Add me to the list of failures ...

53. 11/27/2013 -- 73,000 miles -- I was cruising at highway speeds (70 mph), in MDS

54. Recall initiated, see below.

Remember, these reports are from this forum alone. Real world numbers are greatly increased.

The things in common when the timing chain breaks so far are:

1. MDS is activated (auto trans., so 6-speed are excluded)
2. Traveling at freeway speeds (or coming off of freeway)
3. 2009-2011 model years affected so far.
4. Limited to the 5.7L motor so far
5. Dodge Challenger only

Things ruled out thus far:

A. 6-speed manual transmissions not affected
B. Other 5.7L vehicles not affected, i.e., Charger, 300, Ram truck
C. New guide shoe (white color) has also failed (see #8 on list of failures)
D. New crate motor has also failed (see #3 and #8 on list of failures)
E. Both stock and mod cars affected
F. Both stock tune and Predator tune (with MDS turned on) affected
G. All oil change intervals affected, i.e., 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, etc.
H. All types of oil affected, i.e., both synthetic and conventional oil

* Author's notes (last updated 10/28/13):

(1) When I created this thread, I was so taken back by a timing chain failure happening and discovering at least a half dozen similar occurrences, that I attempted to discover if anyone here had experienced a timing chain failure and what their dealership experience was. I got a lot of adverse feedback along the lines of "alarmist" and "chicken little" and other name calling, including some from dealerships and master mechanics, as can be seen in just the first few hundred posts below. Many attempted to derail this thread by taking it off-topic on many, many occasions. Some are still out there promoting denial of the issue. Still, the problem remains, it is real and it continues to plague fellow Challenger owners.

(2) The timing chain concern can be alleviated by disabling MDS (a band-aid solution not a fix). All but one recent report have shown that MDS was engaged and the car was traveling at freeway speeds. You can prevent MDS from being activated by switching into manual mode while driving on the freeway. You can read How to use the Autostick feature and manual mode here. You can also use a tuner to disable the MDS feature, but be forewarned, if the dealership discovers your use of a tuner on the car, you are in for a fight to get the repairs done under warranty.

(3) Chrysler is aware of the issue and has been monitoring this thread for some time regardless of they might tell you. In addition, many people have already telephoned customer service and have written to Chrysler directly. But, even without all of that, you don't have timing chains, tensioners, heads and short blocks rolling out of the warehouse in the numbers that they have without raising some internal red flags of a potential issue.

(4) Talks of running off to court and filing a lawsuit over this issue are misguided. Your warranty specifically states that you MUST first submit the matter to arbitration. Any lawsuit would be immediately dismissed, and now you are out the filing fees.

(5) When I first created this thread, the weekly parts demand for timing chains was at about 15. It is currently hovering around 35 at the moment.

(6) Chrysler has switched from the black tensioner and guide to white (supposedly stronger) and then to an aluminum tensioner and guide with a plastic face plate (the current part). Both black and white guides have failed. No reports of the aluminum failing yet but they are relatively new first showing up in mid-2013 R/T's.

(7) The exact cause of the timing chain failure is still unknown. In fact, it may never been known. There are just too many factors involved to isolate the problem, and if we haven't discovered the cause in over 350,000 page views, how can we expect Chrysler to? While there is a lot of speculation as to the exact cause, which seems to go round-and-round every few hundred posts, it is all just that -- speculation. What we do for for certain is that MDS is playing a part in the timing chain failures.

(8) Special shout outs to Desert Bum, Hal H, hmk123, Force10, 19johned53, and the nameless many who have helped to keep this issue real and on topic. Your comments are appreciated.

---------

* Author's notes (last updated 02/12/14):

Customer Satisfaction Notification P01
Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide
Models
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
Subject
Repair
2009-2012 (LC) Dodge Challenger
(LD) Dodge Charger
(LX) Chrysler 300
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).
The engine timing chain guide on about 50,800 of the above vehicles may fracture. A fractured engine timing chain guide could cause the engine timing chain to break. A broken engine timing chain will result in severe engine damage.
The engine timing chain, timing chain tensioner and timing chain guide must be replaced.
Customer Satisfaction Notification P01 Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide Page 2
Part Number Description
CBPRN291AA Engine Timing Chain Package
Each package contains the following components:
Quantity Description
1 Chain, Engine Timing
1 Guide, Engine Timing Chain
1 Tensioner, Engine Timing Chain
1 O-ring, Oil Pick-up Tube
1 Gasket, Engine Timing Cover
NOTE: Order two heater tube O-rings separately listed below for each repair.
Part Number Description
53013736AA O-ring, Heater Tube (order two per vehicle)
Each dealer
to whom vehicles in the recall were assigned will receive enough Engine Timing Chain Packages to service about 5% of those vehicles.

----------

Recall type:

Customer Satisfaction Notification - Customer Satisfaction Notifications are preventive in nature and involve warranty or customer satisfaction issues such as non-safety repairs. Chrysler will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.

You can check if your vehicle is subject to the timing chain issue recall (or any other recall) by visiting the Chrysler website and entering your vehicle's VIN number. Visit: http://www.chrysler.com/en/mobile/webselfservice/

----------

We really want to thank everyone who wrote us, (Pietro), with their timing chain concerns. The engineering team has completed their work and the following statement has been released. If there are any questions, reach out to us on this forum as opposed to sending an email as that will be quicker.

Chrysler Group is launching a customer-service action to bolster timing-chain system durability in certain cars equipped with 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 engines.

The decision follows an extensive investigation to determine the precise issue and appropriate remedy.
The investigation discovered the engine’s fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation technology may cause an adverse interaction with the timing-chain system. (Chrysler Group is unaware of any related injuries or accidents.) As a result, the Company will replace – at no cost to customers – the timing chains, tensioners and guides in certain vehicles built between Aug. 4, 2008 and July 10, 2012.

Affected are certain model-year 2009-2012 Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 full-size sedans, and Dodge Challenger sport coupes. The scope is limited to vehicles equipped with 5-speed automatic transmissions and axle ratios of 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92.

Beginning this month, Chrysler Group will contact affected customers with instructions to schedule service appointments with their dealers.

Chrysler Group greatly appreciates the patience demonstrated by its customers while this issue was under investigation. The Company also values and shares the passion expressed on these pages by customers and fans alike.

Thanks,

DodgeCares
----------

Article: Timing Chain Failure on the Dodge Challenger – Ground Zero

----------

See less See more
#2,707 ·
It's a bird!... No, it's a plane!... This is getting seriously annoying... People whose timing chains broke have gotten camshaft sensor codes, sometimes long before the event, and been thrown on wild goose chases by dealers because of rough idling and other problems. Let's say the camshaft is the smoking gun now; is it a different one for the Challenger than for the Charger and 300 (they've had failures, but much less while seeing more miles). And is it different for the manual Challenger that has, to my knowledge, never failed? Inquiring minds desperately need to know!

#2,709 ·
If what ccl1088 is saying is true, it would actually make the situation much better.
TC failures would be spread out over multiple models, lowering the failure rate to almost nothing 33 TCs per month for only Challenger autos would be above normal now take 33 TCS for all Hemi autos, MDS, VVT, not so bad.

#2,714 ·
lowering the failure rate to almost nothing 33 TCs per month for only Challenger autos would be above normal now take 33 TCS for all Hemi autos, MDS, VVT, not so bad.

I beg to differ. 33 blown motors a month for a new car is not good...I don't care if it's spread accross the whole 5.7 line. Remember...when you say timing chain it makes it seem less catastrophic. When these chains go...they take the motor with it 99% of the time with zero clearance heads. Now your motor is being rebuilt by a dealer who might or might not get it right...lowering the value of the car as well. I would have to question why someone would see 33 blown motors a month...and then say "whew...that's not so bad".

#2,710 ·
One report of second hand info on multiple failures, wouldn't be accepted in a court of law, and shouldn't be considered the gospel here.Hollow cams have been used by Gm in the Ls series for fifteen years, just as hollow push rods, and reduced weight in other parts actually lower the load on valve train parts and improve performance.If a non MDs engine has suffered a failure , why hasn't it been reported here or elsewhere. I'm not buying it. Regarding a heavier chain , space limitation when there is a cam phaser attached to the end of the camshaft, make that not doable.So far no one has listed the metalurgy specs on the thinner timing chains I will continue to believe that the new chains are made of a stronger steel.I worked for Gm and had a couple semesters at Gmi, now Kettering Institute, so I have some 1st hand knowledge on how engineering was done in the past albeit in a classroom setting, not in the engineering dept.you simply don't build millions of cars without expert engineering and extensive testing.

#2,711 ·
One report of second hand info on multiple failures, wouldn't be accepted in a court of law, and shouldn't be considered the gospel here.Hollow cams have been used by Gm in the Ls series for fifteen years, just as hollow push rods, and reduced weight in other parts actually lower the load on valve train parts and improve performance.If a non MDs engine has suffered a failure , why hasn't it been reported here or elsewhere. I'm not buying it. Regarding a heavier chain , space limitation when there is a cam phaser attached to the end of the camshaft, make that not doable.So far no one has listed the metalurgy specs on the thinner timing chains I will continue to believe that the new chains are made of a stronger steel.I worked for Gm and had a couple semesters at Gmi, now Kettering Institute, so I have some 1st hand knowledge on how engineering was done in the past albeit in a classroom setting, not in the engineering dept.you simply don't build millions of cars without expert engineering and extensive testing.[/QUOTE

I also asked whether the camshafts were solid or hollow and they are SOLID.

#2,713 · (Edited)
My 2010 R/T Classic has auto and as of today has 39,950 miles. My service rep has told me they have not had any TC failures at their dealership. It is a rather large C-J-D dealership in Oklahoma City owned by a family with multi lines all over central Oklahoma. Ever since subscribing to this TC failure thread I have read all posts and have been going the autostick route while on the highway (I commute 16 miles each way on interstate hiway every day). Gas mileage is down about 1.7 to 1.9 mpg since avoiding MDS. I am concerned certainly but am also confused by the lack of local experience with TC failures.

#2,719 · (Edited)
We can play with statistics all day (especially when we speculate on so many things), but the fact remains that 33+ (I think we're at 35) Challengers had broken timing chains, all within about a year and counting (an indication that there's more to come), and all way under 100K miles (justify that). Drown this number all you want in the fleet requirements, and police use, and dealership orders, and model breakdowns... it won't change the unacceptable and inescapable truth.

As Force10 said, it's not a small deal when it happens. Most dealers just put the motor back together and determine later if there's additional damage to save money, setting up the motor to fail later (when out of warranty).

And you'll excuse me if I'm not impressed by claims of superior engineering. We're talking about the same company that puts out cars with plastics that crack, front ends that creak, and electronics that are full of gremlins. And then that refuses to admit that there's anything wrong and correct the issues. Not hating on Chrysler, just reacting to some strange posts that seem to alternate between apparent concern and then full on cover-up mode.

#2,720 ·
Another thing that my contact said was when they get a vehicle in and decide to take the engine apart to see damages, part of the process is they go by a 70% rule in if they replace the motor or repair it. He didn't elaborate but it's probably 70% of the cost of a new motor in repairs = motor replacement.

Most of the cars are in some kind of warranty and if the owner isn't on site when work is taking place, my guess is MOST of the engines are repaired and maybe the service dept is just saying it's a new engine.

Bottom line, if the cylinder bores are unaffected,pistons are just dented on top so they can be reused and the block casting itself is good then it is cheaper for Chrysler to rebuild..

#2,722 ·
this whole thread is based on speculation.......
the only fact we have is 35 TC on Challengers that we know off failed for some reason
after that itis all speculation

I am only countering others speculation with my own
we can skew the facts, or lack off, towards total disaster or insignificant occurance
the other known fact is the monthly demand is 33 TC a month or 346 a year
find out why and we can speculate some more.
compared to oil filter consumption for the same engine of 28,000 a month, there are alot of these engines out there

#2,727 ·
Good question..... my thought around Ohio is city departments probably would not matter, however Ohio State Patrol uses them and they probably see alot of highway miles. We do alot of work for the highway patrol, I will see if I can talk to one of the mechanics there. Also the Sheriffs Dept uses them, might see a fair amount of higway time.

#2,726 · (Edited)
@sublime 781: Of all people I would not expect someone who deals with aircraft, and likes to bring that up, to have that 'good enough' and 'stuff happens, no big deal' (not literal quotes - disclaimer added because of nitpicking) attitude that is so common today (and almost cost us our auto industry).
We own the cars (the motive), are aware of 35 cases (the fact), and have nothing but denials from 'never saw that before' dealers to go on (the cause for frustration). Of course, we're going to speculate (this thread). But what would be the motivation of someone downplaying it all or counter-speculating?

In every thread about product issues there are posters calling others whiners or denying the problem because it makes them feel better about owning a potentially defective vehicle (that's for those who don't have a vested interest in protecting their business). I get that and I even have that reflex myself ("Well, mine works! What did you do wrong?"), but here the fact that more than a handful of chains broke is not in question (discounting a troll or two who could've made it up or caused the damage themselves), and anyone with a passing understanding of statistics knows that you can't dismiss it. We went over this again, and again, and again. So I really question where people are coming from when they try to muddy the waters. Some in this thread sound like politicians who keep repeating the same old lies over and over again to confuse the undecided voters who don't pay close attention.

#2,729 ·
@sublime 781: Of all people I would not expect someone who deals with aircraft, and likes to bring that up, to have that 'good enough' and 'stuff happens, no big deal' attitude that is so common today (and almost cost us our auto industry).
We own the cars (the motive), are aware of 35 cases (the fact), and have nothing but denials from 'never saw that before' dealers to go on (the cause for frustration). Of course, we're going to speculate (this thread). But what would be the motivation of someone downplaying it all or counter-speculating?

In every thread about product issues there are posters calling others whiners or denying the problem because it makes them feel better about owning a potentially defective vehicle (that's for those who don't have a vested interest in protecting their business). I get that and I even have that reflex myself ("Well, mine works! What did you do wrong?"), but here the fact of more than a handful of chains broke is not in question (discounting a troll or two who could've made it up or caused the damage themselves), and anyone with a passing understanding of statistics knows that you can't dismiss it. We went over this again, and again, and again. So I really question where people are coming from when they try to muddy the waters.

I never said good enough, I have also stated is is above normal. I am trying to keep things in perspective, if it is Challengers only it is very large. but if you add all engines it is much lower. on aircraft components are changed after x hours and never even come close to failure point. if you followed that schedule with cars the TC would be a 20,000 mile replacement part and the motor would be a complete overhaul at 50,000 miles not exactly cost effective.

The current 787 has been grounded again because of batteries this time, lets see multi million dollar aircracft grounded for batteries?????
HEMI breaks TC.
I guess all manufacturers are cheaping out or all engineers are to stupid to design a product correctly.

we are missing so many facts that this thread is almost useless.

#2,731 ·
with that said, I've made a decision... after reading this thread I've been on the fence about ordering one and as of today with all the faith of a child I'm placing my order and assuming Chrysler will take care of what ever happens to my new car with an extended warranty. wish us all good fortune.

Reactions: STINGRAY
#2,732 ·
Sublime, tell me if you have a cut-off point when you will stop being a politician for Chrysler. When we hit 50 failures? 75?. Some reasons the numbers we have seen are alarming:

1. Challenger talk only represents a small number of Challenger owners

2. Most Challenger owners have very low mileage on their cars because they are weekend drivers or stored for the winter. If every owner had their 5.7 as a daily driver and hit mileage like a DD, the numbers would be much higher.

3. The failures are spread out over many different build dates for the Challenger's. It rules out a "bad batch of chains/tensioners" as some were using as a Chrysler defense.

I want to believe it won't happen to my car....but I'm a realist and realize these failures are a real problem. Folks trying to dismiss it as acceptable, hinders the effort to get some friggin action from Chrysler to acknowledge the problem.

#2,735 ·
Sublime, tell me if you have a cut-off point when you will stop being a politician for Chrysler. When we hit 50 failures? 75?. Some reasons the numbers we have seen are alarming:

1. Challenger talk only represents a small number of Challenger owners

2. Most Challenger owners have very low mileage on their cars because they are weekend drivers or stored for the winter. If every owner had their 5.7 as a daily driver and hit mileage like a DD, the numbers would be much higher.

3. The failures are spread out over many different build dates for the Challenger's. It rules out a "bad batch of chains/tensioners" as some were using as a Chrysler defense.

I want to believe it won't happen to my car....but I'm a realist and realize these failures are a real problem. Folks trying to dismiss it as acceptable, hinders the effort to get some friggin action from Chrysler to acknowledge the problem.

1. I agree

2. the same engine design has been in use across all models since 2009, there are many high mileage engines out there with no failures. the engines failing in the Challengers are not a parts issue.

3. agreed

when will I stop being a politician for Chrysler???I have driven MOPARS since the 70's so I have some seat time and loyalty to them. I do consider it a problem and when it happens it is catastrophic but to answer your question when the failure rate reaches 0.5% which based on rough numbers will be approx. 2500 failures

#2,734 ·
so if it is a tensioner issue as stated, please clarify why none of the other HEMIs using the same parts since 2009 are not seeing the failures Challengers are.

Quetions answered and refuted by??? a bunch of guys on a forum??

and when you search, this is the ONLY place with failure rates of any number, there have been others but very limited.

with all the forums out there for every model that uses a HEMI engine hmmmmm
no other threads like this exist,,,,,WHY?

they have as many members if not more and no post on TC failures. Amazing.
33 TC a month yet none of them are car people that belong to a forum somewhere
looking to complain about it

there is alot more to this issue than simply changing a part and we will never know the true answer because they will never publish it.

#2,736 ·
Quetions answered and refuted by??? a bunch of guys on a forum??
Guys just like you. If you don't like the internet what are you doing here? It's clear to me that until someone posts their ID and creds for all to see, none is certain about them. And yet people keep stating that they've worked as a tech for so many years, or that they're in aviation, to give more weight to their posts as though anything else but what they put on the page mattered. A post makes sense to you or it doesn't.

When you decide to make sense instead of being disingenuous, I actually agree with you, by the way. I've posted with regularity, and it is the consensus here, that there's something fishy with the Challengers and it's probably not a parts problem. That's nothing new and 19johned53 was one of the first to state this, IIRC, so please don't make it sound now like you know what's up.

The fact that most problems are reported here (you'll see posts elsewhere if you look just from a Google search) isn't lost on me and this, also, was brought up before... I remember stating myself that the other Challenger-specific forums I've lurked on are mostly social networking sites, when they're not linking to this one. The LX is good but less active, especially the Challenger section. And this one is the most active. But I'll admit it's puzzling. What are you insinuating, though, that 35 people are liars and everybody on this thread but you is a dummy? Don't you think that every post is scrutinized for content and origin? Look at the post numbers. Would a Ford or Chevy guy register and wait two years (like Hemi09Challenger R/T, the member whose car broke 3 times) before making up stories? Do you think that were all that naive? It's not one or two owners we're talking about, and many are on this forum or joined because of this thread, so if you want to come out and claim that they all lied the burden of proof is on you.
there is alot more to this issue than simply changing a part and we will never know the true answer because they will never publish it.
This thread is useless and we'll never know the truth, right? Why, how useful. Why didn't you stick to that one post and leave it at that if that's how you feel?

At this point I have to consider you a shill and/or a time waster and I won't respond to your constant objections - it's like arguing with the crazy. We keep going in circles and then you want to call the thread useless. You came here stating that your input could help, but you're here to undermine the efforts and discredit the posters, aren't you?

#2,737 ·
I am trying to drive home one point which no one has addressed.

I keep hearing I am a Chrysler politician
i do not think its a problem
I am negative

if you have roughly 500,000 HEMIs out there that are using the identical parts since 2009
and x number broke TC mostly in Challengers using ths same parts

IT IS NOT A PARTS PROBLEM

#2,742 ·
I used to get tired of reading this post, trying to actually gain wisdom and insight on the issue, but now I'm kinda getting a kick out of hearing the squabbling back and forth over the SAME EXACT THINGS!

LISTEN!! Why don't those of you who haven't had a problem, don't have a problem, don't believe there is a problem, or just wish to state their own beliefs on how bad the problem isn't, just BUTT THE HELL OUT OF IT and let those of us that ACTUALLY HAD THE PROBLEM exchange information between ourselves to help each other out! After all, isn't that the whole purpose of this thread?

I just sat and read two pages of the same crap I could have read 5, 10, 20, 30, or even maybe 40 pages back! If you don't have real worthwhile info (and I'll repeat it just in case your mind is clogged with conjecture or visions) REAL WORTHWHILE INFO, I really don't want to hear your speculation, or have to read pages of it either!

I think THE MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION was given by RavenX a while abck and that is TURN YOUR MDS OFF!! I tried the autosticking thing, and it's just not worth it. I heard just about as many bad noises during that time as I did with the MDS on. I got a Preditor Intune, simply turned the MDS off, and the car now sounds and runs just like a normal car should! I only lost about 1-1/2 to 2 miles per gallon, and the peace of mind is WELL WORTH THAT! I have NO DOUBT in my mind, that at the speeds I drive, which are between 70 and 80, the chain would have failed again! The ugly noise was back in full force ANYTIME the car was under any type of acceleration or load, and NOW IT'S COMPLETELY GONE!

Not only will your car run and sound much better, you'll remember why you bought the V8, and not the V6!! Another bit of info that I should pass on is this. As I said before, I went out and bought a 2010 Challenger SRT8 to help solve the problem, BEFORE I GOT THE TUNER, and I HONESTLY DO LIKE THE R/T MUCH MORE! It's lighter, more nimble, and as we all more, MUCH MORE ECONOMICAL TO MAINTAIN!

There's some WORTHWHILE INFO and something for someone that REALLY wants some WORTHWHILE INFO to help DEAL WORTH THEIR REAL PROBLEM!

THERE, now you guys can go back to squabbling, and if anybody else posts any new good info, somebody please send me a PM so I can come back and read it!

Now, THERE'S MY TWO CENTS WORTH! Sorry to be so rude, but the fighting has to stop! Nobody wins, and in the end, EVERYBODY LOOSES!

#2,743 ·
One last thing (before raVenX bans me from the site!LOL), if you're worried about voiding your warranty by turning off your MDS as I heard someone say earlier, it says right in the instructions and info for the Intune that it WIIL NOT void your warrenty, PROVIDED you simply "restore" the factory tune BEFORE you take your car in for maintenance or service. It says it leaves no flash counts or watermarks, which I'm guessing means no way to tell it was ever changed. Just leave the tuner in the car at all times in case the worst happens someplace besides home, AND not only does the engine not have to be running to restore it, you NEVER start the engine while programming! Hope some of this helps, those that want to know.

#2,752 ·
One more thing! IF my engine should die again, which I SERIOUSLY DOUBT, and Chrysler gives me any trouble over the warranty, I'm a big boy now, I can take care of myself. I'll just go out get that all aluminum blown 426 I had planned on in the first place, it just might be a little sooner than I had noped!! Wish you the best in your delimma, mine is now solved!!!

#2,754 ·
I think everyone's million dollar question is: what is the failure rate of auto R/T's that put on a lot of highway miles? And is there anything else that contributes to it?

YES! I would guess the speed of between 70 and 80, and most likely 78 to be exact!
Just my experience, and going from my habits.

#2,755 ·
I think everyone's million dollar question is: what is the failure rate of auto R/T's that put on a lot of highway miles? And is there anything else that contributes to it?

YES! I would guess the speed of between 70 and 80, and most likely 78 to be exact!
Just my experience, and going from my habits.
Well plus the engine sounds at that speed, especailly with any type of load put on it. Like someone said on here long ago, it's likea guitar sting or something. To get the vibration, you have to have just the right frequency. Somewhere in those speeds is my guess!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.