Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 8 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
 

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Yahooligan's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,547
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 104
Thanked 865 Times in 597 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Not again...

Please don't dismiss the issues a number of people on this forum alone have had simply because of what your computer tells you demand is. Fact: People continue to have problems with the timing chain and/or tensioner. It's borderline insulting to basically tell people there's no problem when the car they've paid good money for says otherwise.

Is it an epidemic? No. Is it a problem? Yes.
__________________
- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #72 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 AM
stevewhiteparts's Avatar
Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NEWTON, NC
Posts: 5,407
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 605
Thanked 899 Times in 556 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
truthfully we have 6 or 7 people bashing the same scenario on 8 or 9 forums,

im truly sorry that a few people have a problem, ok 20 failures on 2 millions vehicles is simply going to happen.....

we constantly get bash for transmission failures, yet our national % of failure is 3%, national average for all manufacturers is closer to 7%, thats means we are nearly 4 % below national average for failure on transmissions, we sell 3 times more Honda transmission a month than we do Chrysler.....nobody talks about that

Im sorry that a few have had a failure, would totally pmo if it happened to me, however the chance of it happenining is so slim, probably more likely to win the lottery

Luke
__________________
THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH US
WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD!!!!!!
PLEASE VISIT
WWW.STEVEWHITEPARTS.COM
FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!
facebook.com/stevewhiteparts1
828-324-4410
800-779-3634

Last edited by stevewhiteparts; 04-02-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #73 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM
mjb4450's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tucson (but it's a dry heat!)
Posts: 1,579
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 349
Thanked 527 Times in 282 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
truthfully we have 6 or 7 people bashing the same scenario on 8 or 9 forums,

im truly sorry that a few people have a problem, ok 20 failures on 2 millions vehicles is simply going to happen.....

we constantly get bash for transmission failures, yet our national % of failure is 3%, national average for all manufacturers is closer to 7%, thats means we are nearly 4 % below national average for failure on transmissions, we sell 3 times more Honda transmission a month than we do Chrysler.....nobody talks about that

Im sorry that a few have had a failure, would totally pmo if it happened to me, however the chance of it happenining is slow slim, probably more likely to win the lottery

Luke
Luke, any insight/guess as to why the OP would have this happen repeatedly? Would seem to me something else is going on there. He's on his third engine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #74 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Hemi09Challenger R/T's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
the chain is the same on all 2009 thru 2012 5.7L & 6.4L hemi's, cars, Jeep & all trucks etc
weekly demand is less than 20.......

again the failure rate is nearly non existent......less than 1%, its in the decimal point.....

its a shame that some people have had some issues, but in the large scheme of thing, the failure rates is nearly 0%
Luke
Thats funny they have had 7 engine (timing chain) failures (2 were mine) at 2 different dealerships in my area over the past 8 months. Maybe your blind to the problem or they are not reporting these accurately. I ran a car fax on my own car to see what the dealership reports it doesn't show replaced engine, its shows replaced heads or service. No sign of 2 engines replaced. Thats inaccurate. It is happening all over! It sounds like they are covering up a problem by not reporting it correctly. That's also in my lawsuit against them. Will see who prevails.
Oh by the way, I only respond to this forum and not on any others
__________________

1999 Corvette FRC
2009 Hemi Challenger R/T - Deep Water Blue Pearl (GONE and FORGOTTEN)




Mods: Billet Technology Catch Can / Eibach Pro Kit Suspension / Functional Hood Scoops / Hood Struts / Hurst Shifter Kit / K&N Typhoon CAI / Magnaflow Cat-Back Competition Series Exhaust/ Engine Cover Modified / RPI Design Stealth Splash Guards / Richard Petty's Strut Tower Bar / 345-Hemi Hood Emblems / Painted Calipers w/Challenger Letters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #75 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM
rdockery_3's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 913
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All this has got me worried. I've got a little over 70,000 miles on mine and now I'm thinking about going ahead and replacing my timing chain. The one from MOPAR is only $30, would I be better off to get a different brand though if these are breaking?
__________________


Mods:
Middle Bottle Mufflers Deleted
DRLs On
MOPAR Functional Hood Scoops
BT Catch Can
Cervinis Ram Air
DMH Electric Cutouts
MOPAR Shifter
180* Tstat
Flowmaster Super 44s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #76 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Hemi09Challenger R/T's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by rdockery_3 View Post
All this has got me worried. I've got a little over 70,000 miles on mine and now I'm thinking about going ahead and replacing my timing chain. The one from MOPAR is only $30, would I be better off to get a different brand though if these are breaking?
I wouldn't just replace the chain as it's only failing when something else fails. Like the tensioner or ? who knows!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #77 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Yahooligan's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,547
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 104
Thanked 865 Times in 597 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Originally Posted by rdockery_3 View Post
All this has got me worried. I've got a little over 70,000 miles on mine and now I'm thinking about going ahead and replacing my timing chain. The one from MOPAR is only $30, would I be better off to get a different brand though if these are breaking?
With 70,000 miles and a 6-speed manual you should be fine. AFAIK, this has only been happening to autos and relatively early on, like 30k-40k. I don't think I've seen anyone post up that this happened with their 6-speed manual.

$30 for the part, have you priced labor yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #78 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM
rdockery_3's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 913
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
With 70,000 miles and a 6-speed manual you should be fine. AFAIK, this has only been happening to autos and relatively early on, like 30k-40k. I don't think I've seen anyone post up that this happened with their 6-speed manual.

$30 for the part, have you priced labor yet?
No I haven't priced the labor, I know it would be expensive. So is it basically just a problem with MDS motors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #79 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
stevewhiteparts's Avatar
Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NEWTON, NC
Posts: 5,407
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 605
Thanked 899 Times in 556 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Originally Posted by mjb4450 View Post
Luke, any insight/guess as to why the OP would have this happen repeatedly? Would seem to me something else is going on there. He's on his third engine!

i think the cause wasnt resolved, they may have fixed the result, but not the cause

you could have anything from a damage block, maybe a poor casting, where the angles are incorrect, poor workmanship......

we have a problem on late 2009 and 2010 3.5L v6 making a valve noise, what we have found is the bore for the camshaft is off center causing the cam to walk and eat up the casting, in most case we replace the cam and the cylinder head, initialy we were just replacing the rocker arm for broken rockers, but that wasnt the cause, but a result

Luke

ps on the second event, we would have replace the short block or a long block, also would have got the field service engineer involved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #80 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 PM
ptgarcia's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,207
Photos: (9)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by Hemi09Challenger R/T View Post
Thats funny they have had 7 engine (timing chain) failures (2 were mine) at 2 different dealerships in my area over the past 8 months. Maybe your blind to the problem or they are not reporting these accurately. I ran a car fax on my own car to see what the dealership reports it doesn't show replaced engine, its shows replaced heads or service. No sign of 2 engines replaced. Thats inaccurate. It is happening all over! It sounds like they are covering up a problem by not reporting it correctly. That's also in my lawsuit against them. Will see who prevails.
Oh by the way, I only respond to this forum and not on any others

If your engine has gone through two timing chains then I highly doubt the chain is the root cause. Your engine has another problem that results in premature timing chain failure.
__________________
Pauly
His: 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Hers: 2011 Dodge Challenger Rallye

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Challenger Information Thread ResumeSpeed General Challenger Discussion 1299 04-17-2014 05:46 AM
2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 ResumeSpeed 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?) 36 11-28-2012 03:44 AM
2013 Dodge Challenger ResumeSpeed General Challenger Discussion 8 09-02-2012 08:26 AM
New Dodge Challenger Racing jacket- large treyb Parts For Sale/Wanted/Trade 1 08-22-2012 02:14 PM
2012 5th Annual LX & Beyond Nationals (OH) July 21-22 Turbobuckeye Mid-West 29 07-23-2012 04:50 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.