Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 8 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Not again...

Please don't dismiss the issues a number of people on this forum alone have had simply because of what your computer tells you demand is. Fact: People continue to have problems with the timing chain and/or tensioner. It's borderline insulting to basically tell people there's no problem when the car they've paid good money for says otherwise.

Is it an epidemic? No. Is it a problem? Yes.
- 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Supporting Vendor

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
truthfully we have 6 or 7 people bashing the same scenario on 8 or 9 forums,

im truly sorry that a few people have a problem, ok 20 failures on 2 millions vehicles is simply going to happen.....

we constantly get bash for transmission failures, yet our national % of failure is 3%, national average for all manufacturers is closer to 7%, thats means we are nearly 4 % below national average for failure on transmissions, we sell 3 times more Honda transmission a month than we do Chrysler.....nobody talks about that

Im sorry that a few have had a failure, would totally pmo if it happened to me, however the chance of it happenining is so slim, probably more likely to win the lottery

Luke
WWW.STEVEWHITEPARTS.COM
FOR THE BEST MOPAR PARTS PRICES ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!
facebook.com/stevewhiteparts1
828-324-4410
800-779-3634

Last edited by stevewhiteparts; 04-02-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
truthfully we have 6 or 7 people bashing the same scenario on 8 or 9 forums,

im truly sorry that a few people have a problem, ok 20 failures on 2 millions vehicles is simply going to happen.....

we constantly get bash for transmission failures, yet our national % of failure is 3%, national average for all manufacturers is closer to 7%, thats means we are nearly 4 % below national average for failure on transmissions, we sell 3 times more Honda transmission a month than we do Chrysler.....nobody talks about that

Im sorry that a few have had a failure, would totally pmo if it happened to me, however the chance of it happenining is slow slim, probably more likely to win the lottery

Luke
Luke, any insight/guess as to why the OP would have this happen repeatedly? Would seem to me something else is going on there. He's on his third engine!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by stevewhiteparts View Post
the chain is the same on all 2009 thru 2012 5.7L & 6.4L hemi's, cars, Jeep & all trucks etc
weekly demand is less than 20.......

again the failure rate is nearly non existent......less than 1%, its in the decimal point.....

its a shame that some people have had some issues, but in the large scheme of thing, the failure rates is nearly 0%
Luke
Thats funny they have had 7 engine (timing chain) failures (2 were mine) at 2 different dealerships in my area over the past 8 months. Maybe your blind to the problem or they are not reporting these accurately. I ran a car fax on my own car to see what the dealership reports it doesn't show replaced engine, its shows replaced heads or service. No sign of 2 engines replaced. Thats inaccurate. It is happening all over! It sounds like they are covering up a problem by not reporting it correctly. That's also in my lawsuit against them. Will see who prevails.
Oh by the way, I only respond to this forum and not on any others

1999 Corvette FRC
2009 Hemi Challenger R/T - Deep Water Blue Pearl (GONE and FORGOTTEN)

Mods: Billet Technology Catch Can / Eibach Pro Kit Suspension / Functional Hood Scoops / Hood Struts / Hurst Shifter Kit / K&N Typhoon CAI / Magnaflow Cat-Back Competition Series Exhaust/ Engine Cover Modified / RPI Design Stealth Splash Guards / Richard Petty's Strut Tower Bar / 345-Hemi Hood Emblems / Painted Calipers w/Challenger Letters
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM

All this has got me worried. I've got a little over 70,000 miles on mine and now I'm thinking about going ahead and replacing my timing chain. The one from MOPAR is only $30, would I be better off to get a different brand though if these are breaking?

Mods:
Middle Bottle Mufflers Deleted
DRLs On
MOPAR Functional Hood Scoops
BT Catch Can
Cervinis Ram Air
DMH Electric Cutouts
MOPAR Shifter
180* Tstat
Flowmaster Super 44s
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by rdockery_3 View Post
All this has got me worried. I've got a little over 70,000 miles on mine and now I'm thinking about going ahead and replacing my timing chain. The one from MOPAR is only $30, would I be better off to get a different brand though if these are breaking?
I wouldn't just replace the chain as it's only failing when something else fails. Like the tensioner or ? who knows!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Originally Posted by rdockery_3 View Post
With 70,000 miles and a 6-speed manual you should be fine. AFAIK, this has only been happening to autos and relatively early on, like 30k-40k. I don't think I've seen anyone post up that this happened with their 6-speed manual.

$30 for the part, have you priced labor yet?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
With 70,000 miles and a 6-speed manual you should be fine. AFAIK, this has only been happening to autos and relatively early on, like 30k-40k. I don't think I've seen anyone post up that this happened with their 6-speed manual.

$30 for the part, have you priced labor yet?
No I haven't priced the labor, I know it would be expensive. So is it basically just a problem with MDS motors?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by mjb4450 View Post
Luke, any insight/guess as to why the OP would have this happen repeatedly? Would seem to me something else is going on there. He's on his third engine!

i think the cause wasnt resolved, they may have fixed the result, but not the cause

you could have anything from a damage block, maybe a poor casting, where the angles are incorrect, poor workmanship......

we have a problem on late 2009 and 2010 3.5L v6 making a valve noise, what we have found is the bore for the camshaft is off center causing the cam to walk and eat up the casting, in most case we replace the cam and the cylinder head, initialy we were just replacing the rocker arm for broken rockers, but that wasnt the cause, but a result

Luke

ps on the second event, we would have replace the short block or a long block, also would have got the field service engineer involved
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 PM

Photos: (9)
Originally Posted by Hemi09Challenger R/T View Post
Thats funny they have had 7 engine (timing chain) failures (2 were mine) at 2 different dealerships in my area over the past 8 months. Maybe your blind to the problem or they are not reporting these accurately. I ran a car fax on my own car to see what the dealership reports it doesn't show replaced engine, its shows replaced heads or service. No sign of 2 engines replaced. Thats inaccurate. It is happening all over! It sounds like they are covering up a problem by not reporting it correctly. That's also in my lawsuit against them. Will see who prevails.
Oh by the way, I only respond to this forum and not on any others

If your engine has gone through two timing chains then I highly doubt the chain is the root cause. Your engine has another problem that results in premature timing chain failure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.