Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 83 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#821 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would these chain guide parts be nylon or delrin?...or is delrin just a brand name for nylon? I just figured that is what material it would be...delrin.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6929_4.gif

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#822 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Delron has been dropped by a lot of mfg's due to volatility and lung cancer. It is very durable but I have seen and been on machines where a heater control screwed up and overheated and blew the feed hoppers off. It would be good if they were.........JB.
#823 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Wow...I didn't know about the lung cancer stuff! Maybe I should sue one of my former employers, cuz that stuff was all over the place in "the lab".

Well, that seals it...if Delron is hazardous, that means it is a vitally perfect material that should have been used as tensioner guide material! Nothing "useful" is ever harmless, eh?
#824 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,171 Posts
I'm pretty sure that randycat99 had it right with Delrin. And, yeah, environmental concerns are great and all, but they create all kinds of lousy products while banning the ones that work. Crappy paints, bad wearing plastics, soft glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I have so much fun driving to and from work that the actual speed doesn't matter that much (Can't afford tickets anyway). Unless you are tracking your car on a regular basis, does it really matter?
#825 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 AM

For those that think upgrading to new SRT8-392's, be aware the new 392's now come with vvt and MDS. I still believe the harmonics induced by MDS are the root cause of the failures. Until I'm forced by taking my car to a dealer or state inspection, MDS will be turned off on my Challenger.

In the order I installed them K&N drop-in,suitcase replaced with two magnaflow double offset 2.5" in and out, Jet 180* thermostat. Predator 93cai tune, clean air tube, resonator delete , Fastman ported throttle body. , SRT8 suspension up grade, Hood struts Best 1/8th mile 2.01 60 ft.,8.49@83.78, DA 88 Only 1/4 mile 2.11 60 ft.1/8th 8.71@82.77 1/4mi.13.41@ 105.49
#826 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM

I'll throw this out there...if these chain systems are failing over such a wide range of mileage, I'm inclined to think that the ones failing in the 40k-ish mi realm are genuine mds-related failures while the cases failing much earlier are classic defective part failure scenarios. How does that sound?

There is something unique to the duty-cycles/driving conditions that accelerates the wear to cause a failure in the 40k mi region. I'm not saying that to blame the driver. I'm just saying there is something particular in the driving situation that makes something in mds operate much worse than usual (otherwise, nearly all auto RT's would be dropping out of the sky about then as a matter of routine, if it was just an inherent flaw in the mds system...that would be something that Dodge could not remotely even try to skate around, of course).

I wonder what the avg and max odometer values are for the auto Challenger RT across the fleet of all sold, at this time, just out of curiosity?...

Last edited by randycat99; 08-08-2012 at 09:45 AM.
#827 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:06 PM

chain failure

I think the harmonics theory may be right. I drive lots of miles on freeways and state hightways, so my MDS is on most of the time. When the failure actually occured, I was just crusing along about 80 or so down the freeway on y way to the NHRA Nationals in Sonoma and without any type of warning, it just quit. I thought it must have been the computer, so I kicked it in neutral then coasted off the freeway, luckily to a nearby off ramp. MOST of my driving as I said is on long straight roads, and to be completely honest, I do drive constantly between 70 and 80 mph. The only other strange thing, and it may have just been me, I did put my foot in it a day or so before, and I didn't actually see the tack, I drive an auto, but it did seem to me like it may have dropped one gear too lonw, and POSSIBLY oversped the engine. NOT SURE, but could have. Might have just gone close to redline, but then shifted right away too. I'm just saying that because it was in my mind. Any more questions? Didn't make it to the dealer yesterday, but I will today, and oh yes, I also got a case number from Chrysler just so that my concern is on record, and to help with any updates or whatever that may be available. Will try to get some pics.
#828 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 PM

P.S. (or one other thing)

I've always noticed that the engine makes a sort of growl sound whenever the MDS is on, and the engine is subjected to any type of small load. A slight incline, or even just a really light push on the throttle. Any type of load that isn't largeenough to turn the MDS off, but is putting a demand on the engine. I thought this was just the nornmal sound of the MDS, but when I was talking to a guy at work today that has MDS (or whatever Chevy calls it) on his pickup, he said he nwould never know it, except for the fact that some sort of light comes on. the noise is some sort of whaaaaaah sound?? Does anybody elses car make that noise???
#829 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,171 Posts
Yes, my car does it - it's a vibration accompanied by a lower exhaust note. Others have described the same thing, while many others yet state not being able to tell, just like your Chevy buddy. My car has no resos and I assume that this makes it more obvious. I initially thought it was exhaust-related until I tested going back and forth from Drive to autostick mode: the latter stops the unpleasant business right away so it's the MDS for sure. I feel it mostly during activation/deactivation, but also on and off at steady speeds. I get that when going uphill too, and I assume that the MDS is then deactivated and the vibration comes from the V4 to V8 transition.
#830 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:32 PM

If you can hear a groaning, that is "normal" and indicates the mds is working hard. My personal theory is that it working that hard for long periods (accumulated) is the impetus for premature wear in the chain system.

Ideally, you won't hear it or it will be only barely distinguishable. That is an mds that is working at a mild load or none at all, and it's also when mds is giving you worthwhile mpg benefits. I am hoping that mds lives a long life when that is the bulk of its duty cycle. I could completely be wrong...only time can answer that one. If load has no bearing on service life, then we might as well just flip coins on which one lives and which one dies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure , problems , timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode