Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 89 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum
 

» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #881 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM
rdfan21's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 17
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good grief, four failures in 60k miles, this has to be the record so far! I was very hesitant to jump on the fear bandwagon over this, but if beefier aftermarket bolt-in parts become available, they are going in my car. Good luck to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #882 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Hemi09Challenger R/T's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 164
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by rdfan21 View Post
Good grief, four failures in 60k miles, this has to be the record so far! I was very hesitant to jump on the fear bandwagon over this, but if beefier aftermarket bolt-in parts become available, they are going in my car. Good luck to all.

If I could put better after market components in the car and keep the life time warranty believe me i would!
__________________

1999 Corvette FRC
2009 Hemi Challenger R/T - Deep Water Blue Pearl (GONE and FORGOTTEN)




Mods: Billet Technology Catch Can / Eibach Pro Kit Suspension / Functional Hood Scoops / Hood Struts / Hurst Shifter Kit / K&N Typhoon CAI / Magnaflow Cat-Back Competition Series Exhaust/ Engine Cover Modified / RPI Design Stealth Splash Guards / Richard Petty's Strut Tower Bar / 345-Hemi Hood Emblems / Painted Calipers w/Challenger Letters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #883 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 27
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by Hemi09Challenger R/T View Post
I tried to get Chrysler to buy my car back under the lemon laws but, they found ways around it and offered me a compensation check and warranty would remain in tact. I find it hard to believe that putting in three motors would of been less then buying my car back. I would like to see the bean counters now figuring out how they screwed up!
I think you have a better case with this now. The money you received was a ONE time payment for the incidents up to that point! Going forward I think it becomes a safety issue with ALOT of history to go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #884 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM
USRWDV8's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Greater Los Angeles
Posts: 3,805
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 4,321
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by mjb4450 View Post
You're taking this much better than I would. I'm still astounded.
No kiddin'! And I thought I was patient... Hemi09Challenger R/T, driving mostly in autostick won't affect your warranty. You should try that if you want to stick with your car. I know I would've thrown the towel at the second engine replacement: what an inconvenience, warranty or not, and how can you trust the car? Sorry to hear about your troubles, man...

I'm really confused with this issue. We've been speculating our heads off, but the same 'weak' chain goes into a lot of other Hemis and only the Challenger autos seem affected. We blame the MDS, but other models have it too and seem trouble-free. The Challenger autos (many daily drivers and commuters) probably see more miles than the manuals (many garage queens and weekend toys), that's a given, but what about the Chargers? Those get driven a lot (I put 20K miles a year on mine and imagine the highway patrol ones). Does the Challenger have a different MDS setup? What gives?

Again, the most depressing thread on CT makes me think of going 6-speed (or even Pentastar!) for my next ride when it's an automatic I need (and a V8, um, make that a Hemi)...
__________________
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I have so much fun driving to and from work that the actual speed doesn't matter that much (Can't afford tickets anyway). Unless you are tracking your car on a regular basis, does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #885 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Posts: 500
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 23
Thanked 72 Times in 49 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone know of any manual 2009 or 2010 R/Ts with over 50k miles? Also, would be interesting to know how many automatics are now over let's say 60k or 80k miles?
__________________
All Mopar all the time: 2010 Stone White Challenger R/T, 2006 Inferno Red Magnum SRT8, 2009 Journey SE & 2013 Dart Limited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #886 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North of Dallas
Posts: 5,873
Photos: (1)
Thanks: 163
Thanked 295 Times in 231 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
No kiddin'! And I thought I was patient... Hemi09Challenger R/T, driving mostly in autostick won't affect your warranty. You should try that if you want to stick with your car. I know I would've thrown the towel at the second engine replacement: what an inconvenience, warranty or not, and how can you trust the car? Sorry to hear about your troubles, man...

I'm really confused with this issue. We've been speculating our heads off, but the same 'weak' chain goes into a lot of other Hemis and only the Challenger autos seem affected. We blame the MDS, but other models have it too and seem trouble-free. The Challenger autos (many daily drivers and commuters) probably see more miles than the manuals (many garage queens and weekend toys), that's a given, but what about the Chargers? Those get driven a lot (I put 20K miles a year on mine and imagine the highway patrol ones). Does the Challenger have a different MDS setup? What gives?

Again, the most depressing thread on CT makes me think of going 6-speed (or even Pentastar!) for my next ride when it's an automatic I need (and a V8, um, make that a Hemi)...
That is a good summary of what we know so far. The one thing I can think of that could potentially explain the specificity to auto Challengers is the simple matter of mds handover threshold in the programming. If they decided to run a distinctly different threshold in the Challenger version of firmware, that could be the culprit out of all of this. It's not that mds is present or that mds is operating, but something as simple as mds tapping-out at the 70 hp mark vs say 55 hp in previous Hemi cars (numbers just chosen as an example). ...or maybe the difference is the lower rpm bounds that would trigger a tap-out? I think this is worth some consideration. Of course, if there is no difference in thresholds between Rams or Chargers or Challengers, then it is a dead end idea.
__________________
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic6929_4.gif

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/

Last edited by randycat99; 08-10-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #887 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
09 Challenger R/T

My car has 63000 miles on it and the timing chain broke cruising at 70mph on the highway.... Since it is now out of warranty I am having to make the repairs myself in hopes that my engine hasnt grenaded. I recently purchased the Manley timing chain set part #73205 which I was told would be compatible with my engine....tried to install new part tensioner bracket would not fit....called Manley tech support where they tell me that it will not work on the engines with MDS. I was under the impression that all the later engines have this. I am now looking for a stock upgrade because the stock timing chain looks like it belongs on my lawnmower. Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #888 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 PM
USRWDV8's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Greater Los Angeles
Posts: 3,805
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 4,321
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by ruffryda9681 View Post
My car has 63000 miles on it and the timing chain broke cruising at 70mph on the highway.... Since it is now out of warranty I am having to make the repairs myself in hopes that my engine hasnt grenaded. I recently purchased the Manley timing chain set part #73205 which I was told would be compatible with my engine....tried to install new part tensioner bracket would not fit....called Manley tech support where they tell me that it will not work on the engines with MDS. I was under the impression that all the later engines have this. I am now looking for a stock upgrade because the stock timing chain looks like it belongs on my lawnmower. Any help will be appreciated.
My condolences to another victim. You fit in the typical scenario. And the Manley setup won't work for you, that's true, it's been discussed earlier here. As for that chain, I hear ya, but they use the same in the SRT models so I doubt it's the issue. I'd look into upgraded tensioner parts (Chrysler), but at least one failure has been reported with those already. Since out of warranty you can disable the MDS with a handheld (tune) or run your car in autostick mode from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #889 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 02:20 PM
USRWDV8's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Greater Los Angeles
Posts: 3,805
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 4,321
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Originally Posted by randycat99 View Post
The one thing I can think of that could potentially explain the specificity to auto Challengers is the simple matter of mds handover threshold in the programming. If they decided to run a distinctly different threshold in the Challenger version of firmware, that could be the culprit out of all of this. It's not that mds is present or that mds is operating, but something as simple as mds tapping-out at the 70 hp mark vs say 55 hp in previous Hemi cars (numbers just chosen as an example). ...or maybe the difference is the lower rpm bounds that would trigger a tap-out? I think this is worth some consideration. Of course, if there is no difference in thresholds between Rams or Chargers or Challengers, then it is a dead end idea.
I'll buy that because what else could it be? We've discarded the bad parts batch theory a long time ago due to the spread in the cars affected.
I gotta say that the MDS seems to come on right around 65 mph, and I believe is still on at 70 mph, depending on the load, on my Charger, however (I can't be too sure because I've driven my car in autostick for most of its life... and especially lately). They probably set the MDS to be active for the average mileage conscious commuter (around the speed limit). But it could still be a programming difference that's Challenger-specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #890 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2012, 02:24 PM
raVenX's Avatar
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Off the rails on a crazy train
Posts: 3,535
Photos: (0)
Thanks: 18
Thanked 250 Times in 76 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by USRWDV8 View Post
As for that chain, I hear ya, but they use the same in the SRT models so I doubt it's the issue.
Just to clarify. The 2008-2010 SRT's used a different timing chain and tensioner, the strongest of the bunch. The new 392 is based on the 5.7L engine and thus it uses the same chain and tensioner. We won't know if the 392's are affected with this issue until some begin getting up there in mileage.
__________________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Challenger Information Thread ResumeSpeed General Challenger Discussion 1299 04-17-2014 05:46 AM
2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 ResumeSpeed 6.4L / 392ci (2011 - ?) 36 11-28-2012 03:44 AM
2013 Dodge Challenger ResumeSpeed General Challenger Discussion 8 09-02-2012 08:26 AM
New Dodge Challenger Racing jacket- large treyb Parts For Sale/Wanted/Trade 1 08-22-2012 02:14 PM
2012 5th Annual LX & Beyond Nationals (OH) July 21-22 Turbobuckeye Mid-West 29 07-23-2012 04:50 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.