Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger - Page 92 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Challenger Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Wheel & Tire Center

» Featured Product
Go Back   Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

ChallengerTalk.com is the premier Dodge Challenger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I went back and retraced my steps right before the failure. There was a gradual upramp to a freeway overpass, then the downside, then a slight, really slight uphill grade for about a mile or so. Right about the end of the slight grade is where the chain actually broke. I can't tell you exactly, because I was kinda busy looking at everything inside for any indications as to what had just happened.

I was a Ford man all my life, it ran in the family as they say. then I bought a Dodge Diesel years ago and loved it! I've got a Ram 1500 with a 5.7 that I love and it has 200,000 miles on it now without any real problems at all. That's why I bought the Challenger with the 5.7. I'll wait to see what Dodge's idea of a repair is, and if it's not the same as mine, then I guess I'll get one of those newer Mustangs that don't look too bad, and just go back to Ford. I'd LOVE to stick with Dodge, and the Challenger for now, in hopes that some day a new Hemi Cuda or Challenger will come out. But I learned long ago in love and life, you screw me over, you're a gonner, I'm not coming back for seconds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Photos: (1)
...but Clint Eastwood says it's halftime in America!

09 Challenger R/T automatic...4 tires, stick-on convex mirror, seats

It's not that I really needed 370 hp...but having 150+ hp riding shotgun at a moment's bidding w/o a 6000 rpm moonshot is what makes me feel like I'm in the right car for me. The roar of a v8 seals the deal!

The Google keyword is "ethanol-free gas". The truth is coming to light. Check out http://pure-gas.org/
Old 08-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by aghelipilot View Post
I went back and retraced my steps right before the failure. There was a gradual upramp to a freeway overpass, then the downside, then a slight, really slight uphill grade for about a mile or so. Right about the end of the slight grade is where the chain actually broke. I can't tell you exactly, because I was kinda busy looking at everything inside for any indications as to what had just happened.
If engine load indeed has anything to do with these incidents, and your mds was indeed running during that uphill slog, I would say that would be a textbook, ground-zero profile to it all. That said, I suspect mds may not have been at work for most of the early part of what you describe. I imagine if you were climbing an on-ramp to a freeway with some throttle, mds would tap-out with a kickdown in gear to help you on your way...all just a guess, though. The 1 mi mild grade part could be the ticket, though. It all depends on where the throttle was at, to really figure if mds would have triggered or just stayed off since the on ramp.

Also bear in mind that this sort of failure likely doesn't happen just with one exposure to the "perfect wave", rather an accumulation of similar incidents that fatigue the weak link in the system. That would be my theory, at least.

Last edited by randycat99; 08-11-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not to be a fear monger or anything, but I hope someone has a print of this thread or a copy somehow someway. Because now that Chrysler has had their attention formally pointed in this direction, they may decide it is too prejudicial to their corporation and demand that CT take it down so it can't be found by random "searches" of the internet as it has been lately. The simple threat of a prolonged lawsuit would suffice.

I don't own a V8 but if I did I'd be concerned as we've seen threads disappear from this site before. Just sayin..
Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 PM

...not a bad call!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by aghelipilot View Post
I'll wait to see what Dodge's idea of a repair is, and if it's not the same as mine, then I guess I'll get one of those newer Mustangs that don't look too bad, and just go back to Ford.
The Ford dealerships I went to were just as bad, but the build quality and reliability seemed better. The Mustang feels cheap, though, and while I was bent on getting a GT when the '05 came out I changed my mind immediately upon seating in one. However I'll admit that after all the crap my Charger put me through, it's getting a bit much to consider all the prospective issues that a Challenger will, or is likely to, have.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:50 PM

Chrysler put the MDS feature on the Challenger, just like autostick is a feature. I'm not going to "disarm" a feature because of a potential failure.

This makes no sense 19john. I own a 2011 rt auto and if there's something I can do to prevent this I will. My luck the car will blow 1 mile over warranty then I'm screwed.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanked 1,067 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by racindemon View Post
Chrysler put the MDS feature on the Challenger, just like autostick is a feature. I'm not going to "disarm" a feature because of a potential failure.

This makes no sense 19john. I own a 2011 rt auto and if there's something I can do to prevent this I will. My luck the car will blow 1 mile over warranty then I'm screwed.
I understand what you're saying racindemon, but not using the MDS has no "guarantee" of how many more miles I'll get out of the timing chain system.

My PCM is a virgin, no updates, canned tunes, etc. In town/cruising around, autostick does what it does well. On the road, the MDS does what it does well. I've figured that I get 2-3 mpg more with the MDS "on".

I feel that "disabling" the MDS is just giving Chrysler a "pass" on this issue, and I'm not going to have them say that because I tuned the PCM with whatever, their failure is MY PROBLEM. Ain't going to happen.

If we knew that the tranny would fail by using the autostick mode, would you disable or not use that feature??? Not me..................it's a feature on the Challenger that was designed into the drivetrain, just like the MDS is, and just like the timing chain components are.

It's part of the design/marketing/sales pitch of Chrysler, and many 5.7 auto owners are having failures that deem the car "inoperable" for some lengthy periods of time.

This is NOT ACCEPTABLE Chysler.

Like I posted earlier, if Chysler would come out and say that MDS+Challengers don't mix, then put the "six speed" motor in. I wouldn't have a problem with that. If they issued new components that were tested not to fail, and installed them through a recall, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Playing the "legal eagle" stand of "say nothing, admit nothing, and fix what fails".....................I have a PROBLEM with that.

Mopar Front Brace. Petty 4pt Rear Brace. Mopar Stage One Lowering Springs.
Flowmaster Force II Exhaust, '11 Charger Intake Tube, SRT Air Box, BT Catch Can and nose emblem. Mopar Hemi Orange Engine Cover, "T" Shifter, Door Sills, and Trunk Mat. Tinted windows, and R/T by Jina's on the Headrests.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Originally Posted by mjb4450 View Post
Good deal. This should be interesting if they reply at all. Although I'm expecting something like "timing chain? What timing chain?"
Email might work. It's public information...

Sergio.Marchionne@chrysler.com

2014 Challenger R/T
6-Speed
Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl
Born 10/23/2013
Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 PM

I get what your saying John. Let's just hope our cars last until I'm done paying it off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Tags
failure, problems, timing chain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.