Tire pressure malfunction? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 07:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Tire pressure malfunction?

I was on the highway at 2:30 in the morning last night and the streets are dead and out of no where a SRT8 challenger gets on right in front of me... So I get next to him and we punch it at about 65 70MPH and go at it and ran neck and neck till he backed off right around 150MPH and right when I looked down and the speedometer my low pressure warning goes off and 3 out 4 tires indicate low pressure and are flashing but still read at 31 PSI I drove a few miles today and they still have not stopped is it possible the race damaged the sensors or maybe the computer raises the PSI standard when you get into high speeds? Anyone ever have this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM

Not in that same situation. The warning showed up for one tire, stayed on for two days then went away... How long has the pressure warning been on?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 08:04 PM

(Thread Starter)
It happened last night and its only been on for maybe 5/10 miles worth of driving. Just thought it was weird because I know they kick on the warning at 26 PSI but I am getting a warning a the sensors are reading 31 so it's just a confusing situation for me
#4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 10:35 AM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Perhaps it's a sign that you shouldn't be driving 150MPH on the street.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Hydro Blue sexiness
RIP 11/2/14 - 2011 Challenger R/T Classic GWE 6-speed, 27M, Hurst Billet Pro shifter, SX catch can, SX skip-shift eliminator, JBA Cat4Ward headers, Solo Mach-X cat-back w/ J-pipes, 180 t-stat, DiabloSport-tuned, Charger intake tube, BC coilovers, Razor's Edge front and rear 4-point braces, SPC UCAs, SPC rear camber bushings, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/45ZR20

#5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
Perhaps it's a sign that you shouldn't be driving 150MPH on the street.
well... I have to agree... sorry.... shouldn't be going 150MPH on any public road. In Ohio if you are caught drag racing it is an automatic jail sentence.

As far as the TPMS... I'd go and add add to what they should be and use a tire gauage to verify. If they are still on after a few miles of driving you need to have them checked out.

TorRed SE Model purchased: 2/05/09 (gone but not forgotten)
TorRed R/T Classic ordered: 4/06/13
R/T Classic born on: 6/04/13
R/T Classic delivered on: 6/21/13
Mods installed:
Mopar CAI
RiderGraphix spoiler graphic
Skip-to-shift eliminator
Cursive Challenger on grille
Engine Cover air brush painted
Billet under the hood stuff
MOPAR door sills

Member of Frederick Scat Pack
#6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 12:32 PM

same thing happened to me after I let it fly one day, had to replace a tire sensor
#7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
FWIW, I've driven my car pretty dang hard at the track and had it up to 126 with no problem. Tire pressures ranged from 32 to 39 psi.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:43 PM

(Thread Starter)
Respect your views on street driving I don't do it during rush hour or anything as I said it was 2:30AM and me and the other racer were the only two cars insight and I could see about 5 miles behind and in front of me I don't usually race on the street but it was a perfect opportunity to test my R/T against an SRT8 so I took it. As far as checking pressure I did that all 4 tire pressure sensors are reading the correct pressure and are staying updated as I drive the pressure will climb one or two pounds and the wheels get hotter and the sensors will indicate it 3 of the 4 are indicating low pressure but read the exact same pressure as the one that's not flashing. I have driven it now about 40 miles and used a pocket scanner to reset the system and they all 3 came back on about 5 seconds later. I understand it could be the sensors need replacing but I think its weird that they would be reading the correct pressure and updating correctly and appear to be responding normally. Also one more question... Anyone heard anything bad about mixing air with nitrogen? I haven't mixed anything yet just wondering if it's a big deal?
#9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan7373 View Post
Also one more question... Anyone heard anything bad about mixing air with nitrogen? I haven't mixed anything yet just wondering if it's a big deal?

You can. Nitrogen doesn't get affected by temperature changes as much as air. The pressures shouldn't change much due to cold or the heating of the tires.

Air does change a lot. Just look at your tires in cold climate. Most of the air that you get, such as your compressor isn't put through an air dryer, so it's moist. Over time it could cause rims to rust slightly inside. Also the moisture may create problems for your TPMS. They cost about $70 and have to be replaces every 5 to 10 years. I had one go bad just last summer and mines a 2010. They are a sealed unit. Replace only.

Lots of arguments for both side on this topic here.

Generally the alarm for the TPMS is for low pressure. 26 psi I believe? I filled mine to 51 once when I thought I had a flat. There was no alarm.

If it's sounding off outside of that, I'd take it in and have it checked.

#10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:23 PM

(Thread Starter)
well everything is on warranty still so I could get them looked at easy enough I just don't like leaving my car somewhere if I don't have to. I was thinking adding air might help an already malfunctioning sensor kind of wake up. I was reading some other post on here on that same subject and I think you make some good points but there is a few people that think nitrogen causes the sensors to go off especially in high humidity environments... I don't know man stuff like this is when I wish they didn't design cars like this I realize as time goes on it's only natural that technology gets more advanced but I miss my trans am sometimes I had a tach, temp gauge, oil pressure gauge and to tune it you needed a screw driver and a timing light sometimes mostly just a screw driver. Before you fix anything on those cars the first step was to always jiggle the wire first and that fixed it 90% of the time haha Thanks for every ones feedback if I am able to fix it with out taking it in to claim warranty I will let everyone know what I did in case it ever happens to them

Last edited by Jordan7373; 12-23-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > General Challenger Discussion > Challenger Issues & Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode