Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Warped rotors?

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  aarcuda 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've got just over 5,000 miles on my 2012 R/T. About a month ago I put on a set of winter tires mounted on 18" alloys from a 2010 Challenger. Pretty soon after that I started getting a pulsing under light braking between 50 and 40 mph...it'll move the steering wheel back and forth if I let go. Under harder braking or at other speeds, nothing. Everything was torqued to spec (110 lb/ft) and is still at spec when I doublechecked it tonight.

Do these cars have a habit of warping rotors? I have the Super Track Pak so I'm assuming the pad compound is tougher on the hardware.

I plan to take it in soon to have this looked at, just curious if anybody else had experienced this.

#2 ·
I have heard of R/T's warping their rotors, but I don't recall what thread that was.

#5 ·
#7 ·
I have 12k on my 2011 with STP and mine have a slight warp to them. I only get it occasionally when the planets line up, the temps are right, and the speed + brake pressure are right. I get a slight wheel shimmy and a slight shake in the 6-speed shifter

#8 ·
Great input...definitely sounds like what I have, with the specific pedal pressure and speed seeming to drive the vibration. I also feel it through the shifter sometimes.

Have you all had this covered under warranty or just done higher-quality aftermarket?

#9 ·
Add me to the list, started around 5000 miles and is very slight, only feel it under certain braking conditions when slowing off the freeway and hasn't gotten any worse in the past 2000 miles. Feel it slightly in the steering wheel and shifter.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
#12 ·
warped rotors

I had mine replaced under warranty at 7500km. They are warped again n0w, took almost 15,000 km this time. I waited too long to take it in for warranty work and was informed that after 20,000km it is considered normal wear. I will be replacing them aftermarket drilled and slotted late spring.
It is a known issue with the LX and LC cars. The rotors are too thin for such a big car.

#13 ·
Guys, you see a pattern being established here already. Replacing warped rotors with the same size rotors will usually result in them warping again. Also, drilled rotors can sometimes actually warp sooner.

#14 ·
Mine began to show signs of warping at 10,000 and now at 11,000 it is getting very annoying.I rotated the tires once and was careful to torque the lugs to 110 ft/lbs.With the warranty running out soon,I guess I'll take it back and see what the dealer has to say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.