Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Weird accelleration / loss of power issue

9K views 2 replies 5 participants last post by  W30post 
#1 ·
I've been noticing an odd, intermittent issue. I haven't been able to reproduce it consistently, but it's happened a few times. For some reason when the car is cruising at low to moderate speeds (~30-35 or so), and pressing the throttle, the engine revs up very briefly, then gets a very severe, very noticeable loss of power - like it suddenly shifts in 5th gear, and has little or no acceleration. Of course, since this happens at moments where you least expect it, the immediate response is to let off the gas, so I don't know if it would persist, or if it resolves itself.

First time I noticed it, it was rolling along slowly on the freeway in heavy / stop & go traffic, doing about 30, when traffic opened up. I pushed on the gas, and it revved up a bit, then power just vanished. Wasn't raining at the time, but I figured maybe the road had been wet still, and chalked it up to ESP kicking in. However a day or 2 ago it happened again, pulling out of the gas station, and accelerating from 30 or so, to merge into the next lane, and it did the same thing. Definitely no wet roads, loss of traction, or ESP. No lights on the dash either time.

I've only had this car for about a month or so - I'm wondering if the previous owner let it go because of this.

Any suggestions as to what it might be?
Car is a mechanically totally stock 2012 SRT / 392.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.